Many of us are familiar with Chinese astrology, animal signs, and few must-dos to help keep the home safe and prosperous every year. After a challenging 2016, some might be wondering what 2017 has in store for us. If you believe in Feng Shui, notable expert Marites Allen shares some tips that can keep the home bright and positive. Take note of the reminders below if you're redecorating or renovating:
1. Do not place the kitchen below the bedroom.
Recently moved into a new space or building your dream home? Make sure your bedroom is not situated directly above the kitchen. In Feng Shui, the bedroom is the most important part of the home. Since sleep is key to a good life, you need to have a place meant for rest after each day. The kitchen has a lot of fire energy associated with it, it's best not to locate it below the bedroom as it signifies burning your luck away. You may consider having the kitchen toward the back of the house, away from the active areas.
2. Do not locate the bathroom in the southwest direction. You might have read before that the home has different sectors. To identify these parts, stand in the middle of your house with a compass. The southwest sector is for marriage and romance. If you place a bathroom in the said sector, your prospects for love and marriage will be flushed away. Those who can't work on renovation projects or have a choice on the location of the bathroom can counter the bad energy with Feng Shui cures and charms.
3. Do not place the kitchen or bathroom in the northwest sector. The northwest sector represents the male energy of the household, which includes the ability to produce wealth and income. Having the kitchen or bathroom in this sectoy might burn or flush away wealth.
Plants help balance the flow of energy at home -- except cactus. It's best not to have cacti that have a lot of thorns at home as these are considered poison arrows (sha qi). If you'd still want to keep a few, place them in the bathroom, provided that the walls in the area have no gaps. Since the bathroom is considered as a reservoir of bad chi, the cactus can help neutralize it.
5. Do not sleep with a beam above your head. The head represents the ‘heaven energy’ and sleeping under a beam may give you a subtle feeling of unease and it seems like it presses you down. The size and shape of the beam, as well as the height of the ceiling, can all have a role on how much discomfort you feel. Relocate your bed and rethink the layout of your bedroom to be able to enjoy a good night's sleep.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
6. Avoid combining two single beds to create one huge bed. To help couples avoid separation problems, refrain from combining two single beds to create one bed as it signifies the lack of cohesion. Try to invest in a solid, wood bed with a headboard to contain the energy as you sleep.
7. Do not locate the main door facing the main road.
If your door faces a T- or Y-junction road, chances are the chi (universal energy) is rushing too strongly from the road toward the house, thereby affecting the overall energy of the home. You can neutralize it with a complex bagua mirror.
8. Discover ways on how you can work with mirrors. A mirror facing the bed depletes your personal energy and might contribute to lack of sleep as it doubles and bounces all sorts of energy. It is also believed that mirrors disrupt the tranquility needed in the bedroom for better sleep. Instead of putting them up in the bedroom, you can have mirrors in the dining area. Putting these reflective surfaces across the dining table seem to signify that food and blessings on the table will multiply and double up.