1. Heart Evangelista marks 40th day of 'mom' Miriam Defensor Santiago
The actress paid tribute to her close friend, the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, 40 days after the latter's death by posting a throwback photo of them on her Instagram account. She captioned it, "40 days since the day we said goodbye... I miss you." The brilliant lawmaker succumbed to lung cancer on September 29. In a separate post just a few days after the lady senator was laid to rest, Heart also honored Senator Miriam by dedicating the song "Because You Loved Me" by Celine Dion, as its lyrics "best describe all that you are to me," the actress said. Senator Miriam was instrumental in the love story of Heart and husband Senator Chiz Escudero, and Heart had always referred to her as her second mom. (abs-cbn.com)
2. Look: Neri Naig has another maternity shoot!
The mom-to-be had another simple maternity shoot with her friends at Neri's Cottage, a Tagaytay rest house she shares with husband Chito Miranda. The photos were shot by photographer Shaira Luna, and celebrity hair and makeup artist Dang Miranda did her makeup. As in the previous session, Neri did the styling herself using clothes she bought from an ukay-ukay (second-hand thrift shop). Neri is already counting the days til the birth of their firstborn, a baby boy, whom they will name Alfonso Miranda, III.
3. Watch the first trailer for Netflix's Trollhunters
Not to be confused with the movie Trolls which is already showing in theaters, this new Netflix animated series is by award-winning director Guillermo del Toro and is based on a book he wrote. Trollhunters, which is also by DreamWorks Animation, follows a series of teenagers who unearth a troll universe (again, not the ones fashioned from a '90s doll) beneath their own neighborhood. It turns out that there has been a centuries-long battle between good and bad trolls, as one of the kids, Jim Lake, Jr (voiced by the late Anton Yelchin of the new Star Trek movies) discovers an amulet and becomes the Trollhunter. The series also features the voices of Ron Perlman, Kelsey Grammer, Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead), and Charlie Saxton. Trollhunters' 12-episode series will debut worldwide on December 23 on Netflix. (cartoonbrew.com)
4. WHO doubles recommended prenatal visits The World Health Organization (WHO) revised its guidelines on prenatal care and said that pregnant women should have twice as many consultations with their doctor, from four to eight at a minimum. "More and better quality contacts between all women and their health providers throughout pregnancy will facilitate the uptake of preventive measures, timely detection of risks, reduces complications and addresses health inequalities," the WHO's head of maternal health, Anthony Costello, said in a statement. The new recommendations aim to help reduce the likelihood of stillbirths and pregnancy complications. In 2015, the WHO recorded 303,000 pregnancy-related women deaths across the globe, 2.7 million babies who died in their first 28 days of life, and 2.6 million stillbirths. It also recorded that only 64-percent of women around the world visit a healthcare provider at least four times throughout their pregnancy. (gmanetwork.com)
5. Brad Pitt files for joint custody of kids The award-winning actor is seeking joint physical and legal custody of his six children with Angelina Jolie, as he filed his response to the latter's divorce petition, which could be a signal of a long custody battle between the soon-to-be exes. On September 19, when Angelina filed for divorce, she requested to be the sole physical custodian, with Brad having visitation rights. Custody of the couple’s six children — Maddox, 15, Pax, 12, Zahara, 11, Shiloh, 10, and 8-year-old twins Knox and Vivienne — has been a major point of disagreement in their ongoing divorce proceedings. The children still live with Angelina and sources are saying they "are still working on issues that they can’t agree on. It seems their issues still involve the kids." (people.com)