1. Patrick Garcia throws wife Nikka a Surprise baby shower
Best. Hubby. Ever -- that's a title actor Patrick Garcia deserves after throwing his very pregnant wife Nikka Martinez a surprise baby shower last Monday. Nikka is heavy with their second child and is due to give bith in January. They are expecting a daughter, whom they will name Patrice. "I am the luckiest wifey in the world! Thank you my [Patrick Garcia] for throwing me an amazing surprise baby shower!! I love you so much!!" she captioned one of her Instagram posts. The two tied the knot last March and are already parents to their daughter Chelsea, who's turning three early next year. (abs-cbn.com)
2. Hugh Grant is a dad again! It's a girl for British actor Hugh Grant, who welcomed his fourth child on December 16. Swedish TV producer Anna Eberstein gave birth to their second child, a daughter. “I can confirm that I have another grandchild,” Eberstein’s mother Susanne told Swedish paper Örnsköldsviks Allehanda. “It is wonderful,” she added. The two are already parents to three-year-old John Mungo. Grant is also a dad to daughter Tabitha, 4, and son Felix, 3, with ex-flame Tinglan Hong. Congratulations! (people.com)
3. Ontario fertility clinics will be government-funded Here's a first: Starting Monday, couples in Ontario, Canada, will be able to seek fertility treatments almost for free. Last October, the local government announced that it will contribute US$36 million to 50 infertility clinics in the area. That'll cover the cost of one cycle of in vitro fertilization (IVF) as well as "unlimited rounds of artificial insemination" for about 5,000 couples and families. Also, the 50 clinics that will receive funding will serve both heterosexual and same-sex couples. The patients, though, would have to cover additional costs such as embryo storage and fertility medicines needed for the procedures. In Ontario, one in six couples are struggling with infertility. (refinery29.com)
4. California school named after Fil-Am leaders Alvarado Middle School in Union City, California, was renamed Itliong-Vera Cruz Middle School. Larry Itliong, Philip Vera Cruz, and countless other Filipino American joined Cesar Chavez and other Mexican-Americans to stand and fight for their civil and labor rights 50 years ago. Rob Bonta, the first Filipino American elected in legislature, said, "Who we name places after represent our community’s values as a broad diverse community. It creates role models for our young people to aspire to and it uplifts what those who we name those sites after stood for." Alumnus Marvin Aceveros added, “I think it’s a great honor for this school with a great percentage of Filipinos to be recognized.” (abs-cbn.com)
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
5. Figure skater Tara Lipinski is engaged!
The Olympic gold medalist figure skater is engaged to her longtime love and Fox Sports producer Todd Kapostasy. He popped the question at the Plaza Hotel, in New York City. Lipinski shared the good news via her Instagram. "My life changed forever last night. I feel so lucky that I get to spend the rest of my life loving my best friend and love of my life. I’ve had many monumental happy days in my life but this by far is my happiest. I love you [Todd],” she captioned the photo of them kissing, with her engagement ring in full sight. Congratulations! (people.com)