Homeschooling as an educational option is becoming more known to, accepted by, and popular among parents. In fact, according to the president of the Homeschool Association of the Philippine Islands (HAPI), dad-of-five Edric Mendoza, there are now more than 12,000 homeschoolers in the country!
The most common way families do homeschooling is by enrolling with a homeschool provider that is accredited by the Department of Education (DepEd). Below is a list of eight providers and their vital information such as fees, support services, school calendar, contact information, and everything else you'd need to know if you're considering to homeschool your child:
1. Catholic Filipino Academy (CFA) • Founded by author, entrepreneur and preacher Bo Sanchez •Follows the DepEd school calendar (June-March) •Offers classes and activities for kids (open to non-CFA enrollees, too) •Mainly uses local textbooks, but also offers Singapore Math and curriculum selections from Catholic Heritage Curricula •Fees range from P23,000 to 25,000, plus books depending on grade level •Located at Obispado de Cubao, 41 Lantana Street, Cubao, Quezon City. Call (02) 721-1088 for details, or check their Facebook page or their website.
2. Homeschool Global (TMA Homeschool) •Has activity co-ops or groups that your kids can join •Allows for year-round homeschooling. Accepts enrollments in March, June, September and December. •Provides curriculum recommendation, or you can also show the curriculum you want to use for approval •Has quarterly assessments where kids will present their portfolios, valuable for developing children’s presentation skills and confidence •Has year-end assessments •Tuition is P35,000 for the eldest child and P5,000 per additional child, plus books •Located at the 2nd floor of Fun Ranch, Frontera Verde, Ortigas Ave. Call (02) 234-0432 / (02) 502-7027 / 0917-800-82-57 for details, or check their Facebook page and their website.
3. Peniel Integrated Christian Academy • Follows the DepEd school calendar • Enrollments in June only, but has incentives for enrolled families by December of the previous year •Open curriculum (you get to choose the curriculum you want to use) •Your child’s portfolio can be submitted at the end of school year as proof of learning •Provides valuable support to independently homeschooling families wishing to integrate into the DepEd system •Tuition ranges from P10,000 to 15,000, depending on grade level; discount applies on third enrolled child •Located at #42 Burgos St., Phase 1 Vista Verde Executive Village, Cainta, Rizal. For details, call (02) 513-0868, or visit their Facebook page.
4. VCIS Homeschool • Uses the Bob Jones curriculum, which according to their website, is a "Christian homeschool curriculum and distance learning option that seamlessly integrates biblical truth with academic excellence". •Follows the DepEd school calendar (June- March) •Located at 339 Robinsons Circle, J. Javier Drive, Pasig, Metro Manila.You may reach them at (02) 671-8505 or email email@example.com. Visit their Facebook page or their website.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
5. Gopala Simple Moments In Learning Experience (Gopala Play Center) •Offers a flexible and personalized homeschooling experience •Open to all types of homeschoolers, whether you wish to be independent or with a Deped-accredited curriculum •Open enrollment all year round • Has Deped accreditation (K12) •Assists independently-homeschooling families who wish to take Deped exams like ALS and PEPT. •Offers workshops and seminars, HELE, Outdoor/Camping and other activities to give homeschoolers a well-rounded experience alongside their whole family. •Assists/coaches homeschooling families for blended homeschooling. •Rates start from P6,000 to P25,000 per child, depending on level and homeschool setup. • Visit their office at #70 M.H. del Pilar St., Silang, Cavite, call 0906-3773357, or check out their Facebook page.
6. Kids World Integrated School • Specializes in homeschool programs for kids with special needs, or for students who cannot cope with learning in the regular setting and require curricular modification •Integrates the basic curriculum of DepEd with the competencies to enable students to transfer back into mainstream learning, without losing time making up on “regular curriculum competencies” •Located at Johnson Street, Greenhills North, San Juan. Call (02) 726-6563 for details.
7. International British Academy • Provides weekly homeschool support through club immersions that are credited towards Music, Arts or PE units •Allows enrollment all year round •Open curriculum, but highly recommends the International British Academy curriculum with British English, Humanities and Religious Education, Singapore Math and Science; Microsoft Official Academic Course for Information Technology which can provide certification for programmes taken •Have diagnostic and yearend tests •Have termly (trimester) portfolio progress checks •Tuition is P20,000 for the 1st child enrolled in the programme, plus a one-time registration fee of P5,000; additional children enrolled get a 50% discount each on tuition fees, plus a one-time registration fee of P5,000 •Located at Km. 25 General Emilio Aguinaldo Highway, Anabu II-D, Imus, Cavite. For details, call +63-917 -8705050 / 046-4715922 loc. 205. Check out their website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
8. CAL (California Academy) International • Open curriculum – you can use any curriculum you like • Provides US transcripts, if preferred • Tuition is P25,000 for eldest child, P10,000 for second child, and P5,000 for 3rd and 4th children • Located at 2450 Inday Subdivision, Barangay San Jose, Antipolo. They will be opening a branch in Paranaque soon. For more details, check out their Facebook page or their website
Overwhelmed with the many options available? Still have some concerns in mind? Get yourself to the biggest gathering of homeschoolers in the country, the Philippine Homeschool Conference 2016 happening on October 22 from 9 am to 6 pm at the SMX SM Aura Premier in Taguig. With the theme “From Roots to Wings: Homeschooling Through The Stages,” it is being staged by HAPI and Educating for Life, in cooperation with PhilamLife.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
At the conference, you will get to meet homeschoolers at different stages of the homeschooling journey. Some will still be discerning about it, while others will already have more than 10 years of homeschooling experience. You will also get the chance to meet and talk to different homeschool providers accredited by the Department of Education. Accredited homeschool providers provide support to enrolled families and provide records (report cards, transcripts) that you may use for school applications.
There will also be an expo with vendors that support the homeschooling community. Raffles and prizes will also be given during breaks and, if you will bring your kids with you, there are some activities available to keep them busy.
Save the date and invite friends to come along with you to the Philippine Homeschool Conference 2016! A group rate of P4,500 for 5 is available until October 15. For more details and to register, visit www.educatingforlife.co.