Entering preschool is one of the most memorable firsts in your child's life, and it is a momentous occasion for the whole family. After all, this milestone is your child's stepping stone to learn and discover the big universe out there. It's also a stressful time because no parent wants to make the wrong decision.
While there are many factors to consider when selecting your child's first school, from location to school fees to the "right age," there isn't a right or wrong school. It's about picking one that works for your child and family, one that you feel will leave your child with a good and fun impression of learning. It's a choice that you are satisfied can be an extension of your home.
There are a few reasons why parents decide to enroll children in preschools and child programs as early as 3-6 months or at 1-2 years old. They want to:
see their kids interact with children of the same age
have their kids learn to read and write early
complement home learning with structured and monitored play in a different environment from the home
teach their kids to recognize other people of authority (teachers and other parents) aside from his parents
instill early independence
see them gain more friends
make sure their kids have a productive time learning new things every day
Also, get your documents ready! Here are the usual requirements for most schools (some items may not be required by some schools while others require more documents):
Birth certificate of the child
Baptismal Certificate (for some Catholic schools)
Marriage Certificate (unless single parent or unmarried)
Photo of the child (1x1)
Accomplished Application Form (from the school)
Doctor's certificate (the school usually provides this)
Below is a list of possibilities of preschool education for your child's first school. While many big schools offer preschool levels, these schools have a smaller class population. (Please note that this isn’t an all-encompassing directory. But it can hopefully help you decide how much money to set aside if you’re looking at a particular educational system. Note that the fees included are as of September 2017. The schools are listed randomly.)
Annual fees: P56,000 to P220,000 Inquiries: Call 816-3273, 555-0497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Mother Goose Playskool LPL Mansions, 122 L.P. Leviste St. Salcedo Village Makati City (view more branches here) Its teaching method is based on a combination of three internationally recognized educational philosophies: Montessori (Italy), Piagetian child psychology (Switzerland), and Open Classroom (USA). Annual fees: Starts at P89,000 for toddler class. Prices may vary per branch. Inquiries: Call 986-8735 and 892-9756 or email email@example.com
3. Kids Playlab Preschool G/F YMCA of Makati, 7 Sacred Heart St., San Antonio Village, Makati City The school believes there is great learning through play. It offers programs of hands-on activities and experiences for children 2-5 years old.
Annual fees: Toddler class starts at P3,500 weekly Inquiries: Call 846-5137, email firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out this contact form
4. Appleseed Montessori Liroville Condominium, 134 Sedeno corner LP Leviste Sts. Salcedo Village, Makati City (another branch is located in Bonifacio Global City) Established in 2004, the preschool is open to children between the ages of 18 months and 6 years. It has wide and spacious learning rooms where children can learn and explore safely.
Annual fees: Price starts at P29,900 for toddler classes Inquiries: They are open for enrolment anytime fo the year and will accommodate you for a campus tour. You can also opt for a 5-day trial. Call 893-6077, 0927-2390960 and 0917-6482119 or email email@example.com.
5. Gymboree Greenbelt 5, Basement Level Ayala Center, Makati and The Rockwell Club Poolside, Amorsolo Building, Rockwell Center, Makati City (view more locations here) Its most popular offering encourages development through play and learning with a seven-level program that is specifically designed to support a child's growth at his individual pace. Membership privileges are recognized and can be used worldwide.
Annual fees: P90,000 to P150,000 Inquiries: Read up on all their classes here. Contact 798-1718 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The Little Gym Level 1, Bonifacio Technology Center, 31st Street & 2nd Avenue Fort Bonifacio, Taguig (view more branches here) The school accepts children from 4 months to 6 years old and follows a learning curriculum of physical activities and exercises that foster life skills, sustained concentration and problem-solving abilities and creativity.
Annual fees: Annual registration fees start at P6,000 with 1 session at P650. Annual fee starts at P125,000 Inquiries: Read up on all their classes here. Call 815-1735 or 815-1779.
2. Kindermusik Kindermusik with Teacher Jeannie & Company, W Global Center, 7th Floor 9th Avenue, corner 30th St. Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City (view more branches here) Its music and movements programs for parents and children from newborn to 7 years old are designed to develop children’s social skills, problem-solving skills, pre-math skills, and a foundation for reading. Fees: Starts at P3,700 per monthly unit, inclusive of 4 weekly parent-child sessions, online family activities, plus an instrument or book Inquiries: Call 913-5124, 0917-5368745 or email email@example.com
3. Playschool International Kensington Place Condominium, 29th Street Corner 1st Avenue, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City This early child development center run by British educators has sessions where children of mixed ages (19 months up to 4.11) are in the same class. But class size is small -- 15 children per session -- with a teacher-student ratio of 1:5.
Annual fees: Range from P103,055 (thrice a week) - P147,222 (5 times a week). Monthly fees range from P12,866 (thrice a week) - P18,380 (5 times a week). Snacks are included in the fees. Please note: Fees depend on the frequency of attendance of the child. Parents may choose how many times a week they want to send their children. Inquiries: Call 877-0248 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. They offer free trial classes.
4. Summit School 38th Drive North corner University Parkway, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City The school has programs for kids 1 to 7 years old using developmental-interaction as its educational philosophy. It believes a child’s learning depends upon her interactions with her physical and social environment. A child learns best when developmentally ready for new experiences.
Annual fees: Approximately P280,000 per year or P1,000 per session Inquiries: Call 881-9032 and 0917-6736789 or email email@example.com
5. Integrow Children’s Activity Centre Units 203-204, 2nd Floor, B2, Bonifacio High Street, Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City The school embraces a progressive curriculum that also offers math, reading and writing.
Annual fees: P100,000 to P140,000 Inquiries: Call 856-2281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
6. International Center for Beginning Beginners G/F Jecoprime Building, 20th Drive Corporate Centre, McKinley Business Part, Bonifacio Global City (they also have a branch in Greenhills) It has programs for children less than a year old to 5 years old and is well known for preparing and introducing children as young as 1.2 years old to the pleasure of reading. Annual fees: Starts at P215,000 Inquiries: Call 519-2411, 0928-5590585 and 0917-5150258
7. MindChamps International Preschool The Fort Flagship Campus at Penthouse Level, Jecoprime Building 20th Drive, Mckinley Business Park, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City (view more branches here) It offers early childhood education programs developed by experts from Australia, UK, Singapore and USA. It accepts children from 8 months to 4 years old. Fees: Playgroup for toddlers fee starts at P18,0000 Inquiries: Call 488-9003 and 0906-2333698 or email email@example.com
8. 9th Avenue School M/F Active Fun Bldg., 9th Ave. cor. 28th St. Bonifacio Global City, Taguig City It has programs for children from 2 to 5 years old and accepts children with special needs. Its regular preschool programs are a mix of structured and unstructured play. It has a class for children aged 18-23 months.
Annual fees: Starts at P120,000 Inquiries: Call 856-1478 or firstname.lastname@example.org