It has been said countless of times – breastfeeding is the greatest and most fulfilling gift a mother can give her child. While it is absolutely true, we cannot discount the fact that it is a challenging task that moms face especially for the first couple of weeks, and since August is Breastfeeding Awareness Month, we're here to lend a helping hand so you can concentrate on more important tasks.
Nursing bras are essential when breastfeeding. Buying one is easy, but figuring out what you need is the tricky part, so we asked actual moms what they look for when buying nursing bra. They are, after all, the real experts when it comes to the subject matter.
1. Comfort level “A comfortable nursing bra makes me less stressed and more focused on breastfeeding my baby”, says Yvette, mom of three. The Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra from Bravado is a great choice because of its ultra-comfortable buttery-soft fabric that adjusts and molds to the breast’s changing size. This may also be used during pregnancy as it provides great support. It also has removable foam cups so you can get coverage as needed and its seamless feature looks great under any piece of clothing. One of the moms we interviewed swears by this particular bra and said “it pays to get a really good bra when breastfeeding.”
Bravado Body Silk Seamless Nursing Bra, Php2,450 at Mamababylove.com Photo from mamababylove.com
2. Function The ability to modify a nursing bra according to your personal needs is what Malaysian brand Fabulous Mom offers with its Lydia Nursing Bra. The straps are detachable so you can wear them in multiple ways and let you dress up as you please. Aside from looking like a regular bra, it also features removable underwire to help you adjust the fit as needed. It also has seamless, non-crush, soft cups that offer great support and smoothness under your clothes. The one-hand release hook gives you the ability to feed you baby in no time. This is a no-fuss and absolutely well thought of piece of undergarment!
Fabulous Mom Lydia Nursing Bra, P1,000 at Mamababylove.com Photo from by mamababylove.com
3. 'Sleeping' function This may come as a surprise to first time moms but sleeping with a bra when breastfeeding is a common thing. “Lactating breasts are sensitive”, says Ana, mom of three, and wearing a bra to sleep helps you feel comfortable and gives protection from leaks. This particular bra from Fabulous Mom is easy to use because of its pull-aside cups so you won’t have to bother with clips during nighttime feedings. It is made of luxurious combed cotton for a comfortable feel. Wearing a sleep bra also helps breast pads stay in place. It is also great as an everyday bra at home.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Fabulous Mom Sarah Nursing Sleep Bra, P600.00 at Mamababylove.com Photo from mamababylove.com
4. Affordability From hospital bills to diapers and all other expenses from having a newborn, practicality is key. Our local department stores carry lingerie brands that sell affordable nursing bras. So-en has a basic nursing bra called Lady Grace that is lightweight and great for everyday wear at home. Lady Grace also has a sleeping bra with buttons at the front for hassle-free feedings.
So-en Basic Collection Nursing Bra, P299.75 at SM Department Stores Lady Grace Nursing Sleep Bra, P349.75 at SM Department Stores
5. Pretty options Another mom commented that being a new mom and breastfeeding can be tiring and style was the last thing that was on her mind but added that she definitely would have appreciated a nursing bra that is pleasing to the eyes. It wouldn’t add points to a bra’s functionality or comfort level but if it will make you feel good about yourself, then go for it. After all the hard work nursing moms do, it’s a little treat they more than deserve.
Blooming Marvelous Nursing Bras, P1,999 for a pack of 2 at Mothercare Photos from Mothercare.com