We hardly notice it, but we subject our locks to damaging factors everyday— from pollution to the harsh rays of the sun, and other day-to-day activities that to us seem harmless, such as these:
1. Towel-drying your hair Applying friction to hair can cause the smooth outer layer, the cuticle, to be lifted. This creates a rough surface which may be vulnerable to damage.
2. Brushing your hair while it’s wet Hair expands when it is wet, thereby causing it to be more delicate. The pulling and tugging that happens when you brush your hair can cause hair to break. Even when it’s dry, hair must be treated gently, and no, brushing your hair 100 times will not make it shinier.
3. Blow-drying Think you’re adding volume to your hair by blow-drying it? Wrong. Extreme temperature, especially if applied directly onto hair, can cause it to weaken and be prone to breakage.
4. Over-styling hair While hair accessories can bring out the best in your hair, it can also do the opposite, if used the wrong way. Tying hair too tightly in a ponytail, for example, can cause tension to your hair, especially when it’s wet.
5. Having hair treatments How can hair treatments that enhance the hair’s appearance be bad? One word: chemicals. Frequent hair treatments can cause chemical changes in your hair and damage it eventually.
Hair experts say that for best results, excess water can be removed from hair by gently squeezing it, and then patting it dry with a towel. Occasional styling, and protecting the hair from the elements as much as possible can also lessen the risk of damaging hair permanently.
A product that locks in nourishment all day will also work wonders, such as Dove’s newest innovation, the Dove Daily Hair Vitamin.
“Following a daily regimen with the use of the Dove Intense Repair range is key to achieving damage-free hair. Just as the body is nourished with a healthy breakfast, hair must also get its daily dose of vitamins,”said Dove Hair Brand Manager, Carlo Isla.
Dove Daily Hair Vitamin is a concentrated infusion of much-needed nutrients, such as Vitamin E that nourishes dry hair, Botanical Extract that helps repair weak hair, and Mineral Oil that helps protect hair from damage.
These travel-size capsules are portioned just right for 1 to 2 uses, depending on your hair length. They’re also very simple to use: After cleansing and conditioning hair with Dove Intense Repair shampoo and conditioner, squeeze out excess water until hair is damp. Cut the tip of the Dove Daily Hair Vitamin capsule and squeeze out contents onto palm. Finally, apply onto hair from the middle of the hair strands all the way to the tips -- avoid the scalp so as not to get oily hair. Lastly, comb and set hair as desired, and voila! Your hair will have that extra boost to lock in nourishment all day long.
Dove Daily Hair Vitamin is now available at Watson’s Outlets, Mercury Drugstores, Rustan’s Supermarkets, Shopwise Supermarkets and Robinsons Supermarkets nationwide for P75.00 per pack of six