Dyahe about your dark pits? Some women turn to laser treatments to whiten trouble areas, but that can get expensive—bad news if you’re on a budget. Does that mean you’re resigned to hiding behind sleeved tops for life? Of course not! Here are inexpensive and natural remedies that could help you score lighter underarms:
1. Potato Potatoes are awesome when they’re deep-fried (right?), but they’re potentially useful in brightening skin, too. That’s because they contain the enzyme catecholase, which has lightening properties. Mash some taters into a paste and massage onto underarms.
2. Cucumber You’ve probably tried the old-school trick of rejuvenating tired, swollen eyes with cucumber slices. Good news—you can use the crunchy veggies on your kilikili as well! Spread the juice and grated pieces on trouble areas to maximize the cucumber’s natural bleaching properties.
3. Yogurt If you’re meticulous about caring for your skin, you’ve no doubt encountered alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), which targets dead skin cells to reveal brighter skin lurking beneath. Reach for yogurt in your battle against dark underarms, as this creamy concoction contains lactic acid, a form of AHA.
4. Sugar Your underarms might look dark due to accumulated dead skin cells, which is why exfoliation is key. Mix sugar and honey together to create a scrub that doesn't just smell heavenly, it’ll slough off that icky layer, too.
5. Papaya Papaya soaps are popular whitening products for a reason! See, papaya contains papain, an enzyme that encourages skin renewal for the ultimate in whitening and brightening. Tip: Papain is concentrated in the peel of the papaya, so use that instead of the fruit’s flesh.