Being a mom is a lot of work –- whether you ask the stay-at-home kind who runs like a headless chicken on school mornings, or the working kind who burns the midnight oil helping kids study for their exams. Where does that leave time for a visit to the salon or a shopping trip to the mall?
We don’t blame you if you've skipped the most basic beauty and fashion routines lately. We get it –- you’re a mom (but an amazing one, we bet)! And while we certainly wouldn't want to reduce your worth to how well-manicured your nails are or how flawless your skin is, wouldn't it be great to feel not-so-losyang sometimes?
Experts share the top 10 things you need to feel good and look great, so you can continue being a superb mom – minus the losyang vibe!
1. A regular haircut According to makeup artist Fennie Tan, it's important to know when you need one (Hint: You don’t need a crystal ball). Make time for a visit to your hair stylist when your fringes seem to be all over the place except where you want them to be. Flyaways and split ends are signs you need to go to the salon pronto. Are you up for a change? Chop it off, add layers -- just consult your stylist on the best cut for you. Try: Louis Phillip Kee Salon, located at G/F One McKinley Place, 25th Street cor. 4th Avenue, Fort Bonifacio Taguig
2. Once-a-week mani-pedi sessions Not only does a date with your manicurist keep your nails clean, it’s also a chance to give your nails a new touch of color, says Fennie. Here’s how to make it last long enough until your next session: Keep your nail polish from chipping and protect your hands too by wearing gloves when gardening or washing dishes. Try: Brighten My Day Manicure Spa (P300) and Butter Me Up Pedicure Spa (P500) at Nail Tropics, Rustans Department Store, Alabang Town Center, Alabang Muntinlupa.
3. Once-a-month foot spa and facial There’s a whole menu of options when it comes to foot spas and facials, but the most basic will always do. Fennie recommends a monthly schedule for these in order to maintain the smoothness of the skin on the face and feet. Preserve the effects of a facial by adhering to the golden rule of facial care: cleanse, tone, and moisturize. It wouldn’t hurt to change your pillowcases regularly too. Try: AHA Facial-Intensive, P1,900 for a 60-minute treatment, at Murad Spa Services, Rustans Makati
4. Twice a day showers at home No special instructions needed for this, except to towel-dry your skin by blotting and not rubbing. Fennie reminds moms to moisturize your skin after every shower, when your skin is still damp. When applying moisturizer on your face, put tiny dots on your forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin and gently massage the moisturizer onto your skin. On the neck, massage gently upward.
5. A go-to set of beauty products on hand Fennie’s top five picks are a sunblock, moisturizer, lotion, fresh-scented cologne or perfume, and lipstick.
6. A classic LBD Imagine the possibilities! Dress up your little black dress with a pair of heels and a clutch, or dress it down with sneakers or flats and a leather tote bag. KATRE founder and designer Kat Manalo-Erro describes that your little black dress does not have to be skin-tight, so don’t be nervous about showing unflattering curves. Kat also adds that finding the perfect silhouette for your body type is key, not the brand or the price. Try: ZARA dress with ruffles, P2,995 (Photo from zara.com/ph)
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
7. An A-line skirt It’s not true that you need an actual waist to be able to wear this. Kat says an A-line skirt is forgiving to all body types and magically hides your puson. What do you know, it even makes you look like a real, polished lady in an instant -- just pair with a leather clutch and you’re all set for an evening event. Try: A-line check skirt from ZARA, P2,595 (Photo from zara.com/ph)
8. A pair of heels You’ve got to have one, maybe for a fancy night out with your girl friend or date night with your husband. No need for sky-high heels if you don’t feel comfortable in them; kitten heels would do. Kat says there's something very sexy about pointy shoes, so keep your eyes peeled for that style. Try: GALLOP Velvet Court Shoes from Topshop (Photo from topshop.com)
9. V-necks From tees to pullovers, V-necks are perfect for making you look taller (no kidding, says Kat) as it gives the illusion of a longer neck. They make you look sexier too! Try: V-Cut Mesh-Paneled Tank from Forever21 (Photo from forever21.com)
10. Perfect-fitting, dark-washed jeans Find the perfect pair for you and you’ll have a companion to see you through all seasons and occasions, says Kat. Say no to high-waisted baggy pants or what they call “mom pants.” Try: Madam Rage Vintage Wash Slim Fit Jeans at F&F (Photo from www.clothingattesco.com)