An Apple a Day: How Your Family Can Lead a Healthier LifestyleYes, your family can! A multi-hyphenate mompreneur shares some tips.SPONSORED CONTENT
Raising a happy, healthy family, despite everyone's busy schedule, is actually easier than you think. Here's one mom on a mission who can help you: Janice Villanueva, a mompreneur and Mommy Mundo founder. She shares five easy and practical tips for getting your own family started on a journey to a healthier lifestyle:
1. Encourage your kids to eat a lot of vegetables.
"Serve veggies in every meal, and encourage kids to have a portion of their plates allotted for veggies. Be a good example by eating vegetables, too. Try different ways to present them: salads, sauteed, mixed in soups and stews. Keep exposing your kids to vegetables, and also observe what they prefer, so you can plan the menu better and increase the probability of your kids eating what you serve them."
2. To deal with picky eaters, learn how to compromise.
"Make a list of foods that they like to eat, and rotate these when making a menu. This way, you can lessen conflicts at the dinner table. Make a deal with your child to commit to try at least one new dish a week without protest or whining. It's a lesson on creating win-win situations with our kids! If there are certain types of food you want them to try, make it a fun activity for them. Kids love games and challenges. One summer, I tried to have a 'try a new fruit a week' challenge with my kids. Boy did they have fun, especially with the rambutan and atis!"
3. Get your kids off the couch and gadgets and get them into sports and exercise.
"Being active is part of leading healthy lives, and getting your kids to adopt this mindset while they are still young will benefit them in the future. Have 'unplugged' mealtimes by keeping gadgets away from the dining table for healthy and happy meals."
4. Take time to educate your family members and even your helpers at home.
"Teach them about healthy food and not so healthy food. You can lead a healthy lifestyle if you know how to make the right choices. I had to keep a close eye on one cook who added vetsin to everything because the ingredient kept appearing in our kitchen cupboard, but soon she learned to flavor dishes without it."
5. Include healthy beverages in your family's diet.
"Make sure all members of the family drinks enough water by having them take along water jugs and bottles to school and to work. For added vitamins and minerals, serve healthy juice like Mott's 100% Apple Juice during mealtimes to add to the vitamin intake for the day. It's also a better alternative to other sweets. Mott's is a healthier way to satisfy that sweet tooth!"
Not only does Mott's 100% Apple Juice taste good. It also has vitamin C, iron, and potassium, and one serving is already equivalent to half a cup of fruit. Plus, studies suggest that apple juice can delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease and reduce the risk of cancer. Bottoms up!
Now here's another way to enjoy Mott's 100% Apple Juice. Serve these nutritious pancakes for breakfast:
Makes 10 servings
150 kcal per serving with 1½ teaspoons applesauce
Carbohydrates: 24 g
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 1 g
Fiber: 1.2 g
Ingredients for the pancake batter:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup blended carrots or 250 g carrots, raw
½ cup milk
1/8 cup Mott's 100% Apple Juice
6 tablespoons grated cheese
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the applesauce:
1 cup Mott's 100% Apple Juice
¼ cup honey
½ cup apple cubes
1. Combine carrots, egg, milk, water, sugar, and salt. Mix together using a blender or food processor.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and grated cheese. Add to the blended carrots.
3. Grease preheated pan with cooking spray.
4. Pour a small scoop of batter in the middle of the pan until it forms a round shape. Cook for about two minutes on each side.
5. To make the apple sauce, cook the apple juice with honey on a saucepan until the mixture thickens to desired consistency.
6. Add the apple cubes and cook for about one minute.
7. Remove from heat and pour onto the pancakes.