- Real Parenting Ogie Alcasid And Michael V. On Fatherhood: 'Enjoy The Ride, Put Your Foot Down, Be Involved'
- News Aiko Melendez On Weight Loss Journey: ‘It’s Never Too Late’
- Real Parenting Sa Tulong Ng Donors, Napapadede Ng Breast Milk Ang Mga Naulila Sa Ina Na Triplets
- Your Health Mga Senyales Ng Heart Attack At Dapat Nating Gawin Kaagad, Ayon Sa Doktor
6 Brain-boosting Foods for your ChildEating healthy food impacts your child's overall health, including his brain functions. Find out which foods are brain-friendly.by Rachel Perez .
There is not one “magic” food that can ultimately put a kid’s brain in turbo mode, but these treats incorporated in a healthy and balanced diet can help improve his overall brain performance. Foods like fish, nuts and fruits are your best bet when it comes to improving brain functions.
Click through the gallery to discover the food that will help your child's brain perform at its full potential.
Watch out for these brain blockers though! Nutritionist and professor at the University of the Philippines Diliman Luz Callanta advises parents to read food labels and stay away from the following:
- Trans Fatty acids or hydrogenated oils commonly found in margarine and chips disrupt the communication channels of the brain. It needs some fats to function properly, but no amount of trans fat is healthy. Plus, it’s bad for the heart.
- High fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) found in sodas and other sugar-laden bottled drinks only impedes brain development. This highly processed sugar produces ill effects not only in the brain, but in the whole body, too, stresses Dr. Callanta. “Very high levels of sugar in the blood will be shot down by insulin almost immediately,” she adds. It really tires the brain.
- Highly processed food like chips, canned goods, and instant food have high amounts of chemical preservatives which are definitely not brain-friendly. They can adversely affect memory and motor skills. So make sure you eat food that’s fresh and free from preservatives.
All photos from flickr creative commonsADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Viewing as ListLaunch GalleryADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Trending in Summit Network