- Real Parenting Michael V. Asks Ogie Alcasid: 'Paano Maging Tatay Sa Mga Anak Na Dalawa Ang Nanay?'
- Baby How to Correct Common Errors in Your Child's Birth Certificate
- Getting Pregnant 13 Sex Positions for Deep Penetration to Help You Get Pregnant!
- Money Love Books? You Can Get Paid P715 For Every Title You Review On This Website
9 Tips to Lessen the Fatty Food in Your KitchenSay no to artery-clogging saturated fat with these tips.
Families that eat together, stay together, right? So that also means, families that eat healthy together, stay healthy together. Eating healthy means getting rid of too much fat -- among others -- from your diet. Fatty food contains saturated fat that raises blood cholesterol levels. High cholesterol levels increase the risk of heart disease.
To help lessen your family’s fatty food intake, we share with you these tips.
1. Trim visible fat from beef and pork cuts. Filipinos love their chicken skin but it’s best to remove these as well before cooking. You can also skim fat from cooked meals like stock and soup by chilling them, and removing the fat that forms at the top.
2. Try new ways to cook. Whenever you can, try to avoid serving fried and deep-fried meals. Experiment with your family’s dinner ulam by boiling, baking, broiling, poaching and grilling. The possibilities are endless. Here’s more reason for you to boil than fry: vegetables retain most of their nutrients when you boil them as opposed to frying.
Try this Beef Mami recipe from Yummy.phADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
3. Choose your cooking oil wisely. It’s difficult to completely cut off fried food from your family’s diet. What you can do, however, is choose a cooking oil that’s low in saturated fat. Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, for example, has low saturated fat and is even high in Omega-3 and -6 which protect against heart disease.
Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, 500mL
4. Dab fried food with a paper towel. If you do have fried food (who can resist fried chicken and breaded pork chops, right?), make sure to dab the excess oil away with a paper towel. You can also let them cool on a plate lined with paper towels.
Try this Beef Steak in White Pepper Gravy recipe from Yummy.phCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
5. Dress salad and pasta with olive oil instead of creamy dressings. The main type of fat in olive oil, according to Mayo Clinic, is monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). Like Omega-3 oils in fish, MUFAs are considered healthy fats. MUFAs have been found to lower cholesterol, and in some research, lower blood sugar levels.
Doña Elena Pure Olive Oil, 500mL
6. Replace full cream milk with low-fat or skim. Milk is naturally high in fat. Thankfully, there’s reduced-fat, low-fat and evaporated skim milk to choose from if you still want to enjoy your morning bowl of cereal.
7. Purchase smaller packets of butter and mayonnaise. If there’s more, you’re more likely to indulge!
8. Instead of fat-laden snacks like chips, stock up on fruit instead. Ask your suki for the best fruits to buy this time of year. It’s also a good idea to buy from the palengke since they have a wide variety of local produce to choose from. This way, you’ll also be helping out our local farmers and merchants.
9. Avoid fast food as much as you can. The reasons should be obvious: burgers, fried chicken and pizza are basically covered in grease. Besides, homemade food cooked by mom is always better, if not healthier, cheaper and more scrumptious, because it’s prepared with love.
Jan. 2, 2015. "Eat less saturated fat". nhs.uk
Feb. 26, 2013. "5 things you may not know about olive oil". cnn.com
Undated. "If olive oil is high in fat, why is it considered healthy?". mayoclinic.org
Main photo from PixabayADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Trending in Summit Network