Healthy Toddler Comfort Food: Chicken Noodle SoupEverybody loves this comforting and nutritious soup. Mom and contributor, Irene Nicolas-Recio shares her version with us.by Irene Nicolas-Recio .
Probably the first recipe that comes to mind when your toddler is down with the flu or is nursing a bad cold is the world-renowned Chicken Noodle Soup. It is famous for its warm and comforting effect on the ill. That’s why it’s a healthy toddler comfort food. There are many ways to do it. Every mom or chef probably has his or her own way of cooking this famous soup. Let me share with you how I cook it for my family.
Chicken Noodle Soup
You will be needing:
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- 1 whole chicken (I usually choose the bigger ones available in the grocery. A little over a kilo)
- 8 cups of homemade chicken broth
- Noodles (you may use any kind, from spaghettini to elbow macaroni to the spiral, penne, or ribbon). I personally like using the ribbon pasta or the colorful twist pasta for the benefit of my toddler.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- fish sauce or rock salt
- Put the chicken and chicken broth in a large cooking pot. Cook until the meat easily comes off the bones.
- Set aside the broth.
- De-bone chicken and cut into chunks or shred, whichever you prefer.
- Put the chicken meat into the broth.
- Add all the other ingredients except the noodles into the pot.
- Let it simmer on low heat for about an hour and a half or two. Stir occasionally.
- Add fish sauce or salt and pepper to taste. Usually at this point, little or no salt is needed. But adjust according to your taste preference.
- Add the noodles. Cook until the noodles are al dente. Serve hot.
Enjoy this healthy toddler comfort food as a family.
Photo from flickr.comCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Trending in Summit Network