Ingredients: • 4 eggs, separated • 1½ cups sugar • 1 cup carrots, grated • 1 cup walnuts • 1½ cups flour • 1 teaspoon baking powder • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg • ½ teaspoon cinnamon • 1 teaspoon vanilla • Pinch of salt • 1 cup oil • 2½ tablespoons hot water • ½ teaspoon baking soda
Instructions: 1. Preheat oven to 220°C. Cream together egg yolks and 1 cup of the sugar until the yolk color lightens. Stir in carrots, nuts, flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and oil.
2. Mix together hot water and baking soda, and stir into flour mixture.
3 Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy. Fold egg white mixture into ß our mixture.
4. Place mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch pan lined with greased wax paper and bake for 45 minutes or until done. Let cool.
5. Slice in half horizontally to form two layers.
6. To make the cream cheese filling: Soften 8 ounces cream cheese and beat in ½ cup sugar, mixing gradually, until filling is smooth and ß uffy. A food processor works well for this.
7. Cover bottom layer with cream cheese filling. Layer together cake and cream cheese filling on top of one another. Top with candied walnuts.