embed embed2
  • According to the Law: Travel Documents of Child whose Parents are Separated

    Planning a summer getaway with your child abroad? Find out if you need to secure permission from your ex-husband before traveling.
    by Atty. Cecilia L. Real .
  • mom airportQ: My husband and I are separated.  I plan to travel abroad with my son this summer.  Will I need to get my ex-husband’s permission since our child is a minor?  

    The fact of separation from your husband is not a limiting factor for you and your minor child to enjoy the privilege of traveling abroad.

    A child who travels to a foreign country is required to secure a Travel Clearance from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) only when he is traveling alone or he/she is accompanied by a person other than his/her parents.

    The exception lies when that parent's authority has been suspended by the Courts. Under normal circumstances though, there should be no problem and the child can freely go abroad with either parent.

    Enjoy the company of your child as you visit other places outside the Philippines. Have a safe trip then!

    Atty Cecilia Real holds a degree in Bachelor of Laws from the Ateneo de Cagayan – Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro.  She has been a member of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines since 2000.  She is also a corporate lawyer, an educator, and a single parent to her 4 children, who are all in college.

    Send in your questions on family law to webmaster@smartparenting.com.ph and Atty. Real will answer them through the website.

    Photo from sxc.hu

    Recommended Videos
  • You're almost there! Check your inbox.

    We sent a verification email. Can't find it? Check your spam, junk, and promotions folder.
Don't Miss Out On These!
View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles