- Love & Relationships May Listahan Na Nga, Kulang Pa Rin? Funny Stories Ng Mga Dads Sa Grocery
- News One-Year-Old Baby Is The Youngest Confirmed COVID-19 Case In The Philippines
- Inspiration Hindi Fake News Ang Kakulangan Ng PPE Para Sa Mga Doktor
- News Don't Forget Family Planning, Couples Told Amid Community Quarantine
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Tips for Parents During the Rainy SeasonTag-ulan has set in. How prepared is your family against all the challenges of the rainy season?
Read on for more tips during the rainy season.
Clean your surroundings, and keep yourself clean.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Make sure to keep a bottle of hand sanitizer or alcohol handy at all times. Use it especially after handling things that a lot of other people also touch (e.g. train hand rails, elevator buttons, etc.).
- Moreover, avoid crowded places and areas which are poorly ventilated.
- Remember to keep your surroundings clean to prevent stagnant water from accumulating and providing a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Throw away old tires, cans and cap-less bottles, and make sure that the drains, sewage troughs and roof gutters of your house are not clogged. Don’t count on fumigation services because the chemical fumes are bad for your health, and it will only kill or temporarily drive away adult mosquitoes.
- Lastly, never wade in floodwater. Always use boots, umbrellas and proper rain gear to prevent exposure to dirty water and the elements.
Family car safety. Check your vehicle’s readiness for the rainy season.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Make sure that all your tires can provide proper traction during wet weather by checking if their treads still have a good amount of grooves on them. You can always check the tire wear indicator on the side of your tires. If the tread has worn enough to reach the edge of the indicators, you have to replace your tires.
- In addition, you must also make sure that your windshield is clean and that your windshield wipers are working properly to ensure clearer vision when you are caught out in a downpour. Moreover, check your window defogger’s capability to deal with sudden condensation.
- Finally, don’t forget that the best way to avoid accidents during a heavy rain or a storm is to stay at home. When it's raining cats and dogs, it's wise not get behind the wheel.
Emergency preparedness. Incidents like blackouts or disasters like flooding and fires can occur during or after a downpour or a storm. Proper disaster preparedness is key to everyone’s safety whenever such incidents happen.
1. Make sure that you have important emergency phone numbers ready, such as the fire department’s, the police department’s, or your local hospitals’ contact numbers.
2. If you live in a flood-prone area, try to map out your evacuation route in advance.
3. You should also have an emergency kit on hand, one that includes a first aid box, a utility knife, a battery-operated or a wind-up flashlight and an AM-FM radio, which could either be battery- or electricity-operated. You might also find a car charger for your laptop or mobile phone useful.
4. Lastly, a plentiful supply of drinking water or a portable water filter is also necessary in case your home’s water supply is cut during an emergency.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
A good deal of preparation is indeed your family’s best weapon against the dangers of the rainy season.
You might also want to read:
- Typhoon Preparation and Checklist
- Preparing Your Home for Typhoons
- Breastfeeding in Emergency Situations
- Parent’s Guide to Safeguarding Important Documents from Potential Disasters like Fires and Floods
- Top 4 Child's Diseases to Watch Out For this Rainy Season
Photo from flickr.com < http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricephotos/3968332628/ >PREV 2 of 2
Trending in Summit Network