- Labor & Childbirth Giving Birth In The Time Of COVID-19? What To Expect When You Go To The Hospital
- Baby What You Need To Know To Protect Your Newborn From COVID-19
- News We Are Now Required To Wear Face Masks When We Step Out And Shop For Groceries
- Love & Relationships Moms On Dads During Quarantine: 'Maaasahan Rin Pala Sa Bahay Kahit Hindi Inuutusan'
Toddler Miraculously Survives After Furniture Falls on HimRemember these 10 childproofing tips that we often overlook.by Lei Dimarucut-Sison .
A video of 2-year-old Utah twins Bowdy and Brock Shoff has gone viral on the Internet with almost 5.4 million views just two days after their mother posted it on YouTube on January 2.
In the two-minute footage that was captured on a nanny camera, the twins are shown playing in their own room by themselves and attempting to climb the dresser, using the open drawers as steps.
And then, the unthinkable happens: the dresser topples over, pinning down Brock.
Trying to figure out how to help his twin, Bowdy inspects all sides and even attempts to lift the furniture. At one point, he even climbs and crawls on top of the fallen dresser. It takes a full minute and 50 seconds before he was able to successfully slide the dresser away from Brock, who miraculously survives. Watch the full video below:
In an interview with local news channel WTHR, the twins' mom Kayli Shoff says that because the boys are often loud, she usually hears them, but in this instance, "We didn't hear a cry, we didn't hear a big thud. So we woke up and looked at the camera [to see] are they still sleeping? We saw that it [the dresser] was all the way down, and they were still playing. So we didn't know if it landed on them."ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
After much hesitation, Kayli and her husband Ricky uploaded the terrifying footage for just one reason: to raise awareness about the need to secure furniture when you have young children in the house.
Here are a few reminders in making your home safer for the little inhabitants:
1. Make sure the photo frames are secured and are out of the kids' reach.
If your child knocks over or drops a frame, the glass can shatter and cut him, even in a carpeted room. Put frames somewhere well out of reach, mount them on the wall, or replace them with plastic.
2. Mount the TV and the TV stand.
...Or any other heavy furniture, for that matter. If a child tries to climb on a TV stand, the set can fall on her. Mount your television securely on the wall, if possible. TVs on stands need to be anchored to the wall too: Slip industrial-strength Velcro straps through the air-vent holes and connect them to eye hooks that you screw into the wall.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
3. Cover power outlets.
Left unattended, your child could easily unplug a cord from the power strip, stick a metal object inside one of the holes, and electrocute himself. Keep power strips hidden behind furniture or, if they must be exposed, buy a power strip cover.
More from Smart Parenting
4. Get rid of choking hazards.
Round, cylindrical, or oval toys or objects that are very small can completely block the throat of a young child and cause fatal choking. Be especially careful of button batteries -- the kind you find in watches, hearing aids, and some toys -- which are higher voltage than traditional batteries. If your child swallows any type of battery, it can get lodged in the esophagus and cause severe damage, so get him to the E.R. immediately.
5. Don't put a trash bag to line your wastebasket.
It may be easier to empty the bathroom trash when you line it with a plastic shopping bag, but the convenience isn't worth the risk. Your toddler could put the bag over her head and suffocate.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
6. Add a door guard.
The most common types of amputations in kids involve fingers and thumbs, according to recent research from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital. The usual cause among the ages of 2 and younger? Doors. "I've stitched up the ends of so many fingers -- frequently from a game of chase that ends with a door slamming," says Dr. Jim Schmidt, M.D., a pediatric emergency-room physician and co-founder of Child Safety Housecalls, a childproofing and safety company in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
More from Smart Parenting
7. Keep the toilet seat lid down.
The toilet is just the right height for your toddler to stick his head in, and since he's top-heavy, he could fall over and not be able to get up. Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional injury death in kids ages 1 to 4. To be sure, install a latch (available in hardware stores).
8. Don't leave a hair dryer lying around.
If your child turns it on, she could burn herself, and if she drops it in the sink, it could electrocute her.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
9. Keep medicines out of reach.
"It's not enough to place dangerous medicine up high," says Dr. Gary Smith, M.D., Dr. P.H., director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital, in Columbus, Ohio. "You need to put them under lock and key. In our home we had a locksmith install a lock in one of the drawers in the bathroom and we kept the key hidden." Some drugs, such as heart medications, are more toxic than others. But even the elemental iron in prenatal vitamins can be deadly if ingested in high enough amounts.
10. Put your toiletries away.
As with medicines, putting them up high isn't the answer; a curious child will simply climb up on the counter to reach them. And items you may think aren't dangerous can be deadly: "I'd rather see my kids play with bleach than with Visine," says Dr. Schmidt. In rare instances, the same ingredients that constrict the blood vessels to get the red out of eyes can cause blood-pressure changes, abnormal heart rhythms, and coma in a small child, he explains. Lock products away using a magnetic latch or a childproof medicine container.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Child-proofing tips here appeared in an article by Parents magazine, published with permission in Smart Parenting magazine in 2014.
Trending in Summit Network