- Baby Pagpili Ng Ninong At Ninang: 5 Magagandang Katangian Na Dapat Mong Hanapin
- Home 8 Air Purifiers You Can Buy For The Home, Starting At P2,450
- News DOH Confirms First Case Of Polio In Metro Manila
- Health & Nutrition That Sadness, Doubt And Guilt You Feel Postpartum May Not Be Depression But 'Matrescence'
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Moody Pregnant MomQ: “I’m pregnant and having extreme mood swings. How can I keep them from ruining my daily routine?”
- <>A: Dr. Elise Lackie, Ob-gyn, North York General Hospital, Ontario, Canada (as told to Theresa Garillos, mother to Miguel)Mood swings are typically at their peak by the sixth to tenth week of pregnancy. They’ll ease up a bit during the second trimester, but they’ll be back in the last few weeks of pregnancy. Your emotional roller coaster is normal and will soon be over baby is born.Spend more time with your husband or partner and clue him in constantly on what you’re going through. This will help him understand that your outbursts should not be taken personally.Try to relax and pamper yourself for the whole nine months. Avoid locking yourself up and sulking alone. This will only make you more vulnerable to mood shifts.Only spend some “alone time” if you want to read a good book or listen to relaxing music. Otherwise, spend as much time as you can with other people; enjoy a movie or go out and shop. Break free from stress by lessening your chores, getting plenty of sleep, eating well, going for a walk around the neighborhood, or getting a full body massage.A: Mayang Pascual, family and financial counselor, The Manufacturer’s Life Insurance Co.; mother of 5Your estrogen levels are spiking and creating a hormonal imbalance. It’s normal to experience mood swings.Set aside 30 minutes in the morning to do long, deep-throat breathing: inhale deeply for 9 seconds, hold your breath for 15 seconds, then exhale for 9 seconds. Repeat this about 12 times or until your 30 minutes are up.Practice twice a day to help you feel grounded and calm, have a relatively pleasant disposition, and become less prone to hysterics.Do the second meditation at dusk or before bedtime.Deep breathing benefits your baby, too.A: Meg Tekiko, events coordinator, EventGuard, Inc.
The studied reminders I gave myself against mood swings never prepared me for riding on another upswing.I’m just glad that my husband and I read the pregnancy books together. He had already deduced the cause of my recent oversensitiveness to prenatal mood swings. He catered to as many of my requests as he could. But what I appreciated most was that he never showed any resentment while carrying out these requests, and never took offense from my moods. Instead, he listened quietly and held my hand through each hurt I felt.After apologizing, I would do everything that I could to prevent further swings. In essence, I rethought many incidents where I felt slighted and realized I had made a big deal out of a lot of small things.
The next time you feel a flare or a dive, pause and regroup. Try to detach your perspective or ask a level-headed friend to listen.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW