- Love & Relationships Watching TV On Your Couch Is Not Date Night, Say These Relationship Experts
- Your Kid’s Health Experts Say This Natural Remedy Is More Effective For Cough Than Over-The-Counter Meds
- Love & Relationships Mother-In-Law Love Stories: What Do You Cherish Most About Your Biyenan?
- Real Parenting Try This Mom's 'Ulam Raffle' Idea For When You Don't Know What To Cook
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
9-year-old Filipina Named Best Actress at the Harlem International Film FestivalThe film “Nuwebe” is about incest and child pregnancy.
At the recently concluded Harlem International Film Festival in New York, nine-year-old Barbara Miguel won the Best Actress award for the film “Nuwebe”. The film festival ran from September 11 to 15.
The movie’s plot revolves around the plight of a girl named Krista who is raped by her father and impregnated at the tender age of nine, thus the title. The story is based on true events.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
“Nuwebe” is the Philippines’ only entry to the film competition, under the category “New Breed”. It was written and directed by Joseph Israel Laban, and also starred Jake Cuenca, Nadine Samonte and Anita Linda.
According to Laban, who is also managing producer for GMA News and Public Affairs, the film was inspired by a documentary he produced on one of the youngest mothers in history.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Says Laban about the award-winning child star, “Barbara was a clear standout from the number of auditions we held for the film. She is a brilliant actress. Most young actors can shed a tear or cue or throw a line perfectly, but with Barbara she is not just playing a role, she is the character. When the camera rolls, she seems to inhabit the character of Krista in the film.”
On the Cinemalaya website, “Nuwebe” is described as “a story of struggle and renewal. Krista’s story is complex. She refuses to see herself as a victim. Despite her situation, she demonstrates an incredible level of resilience and determination to overcome the trauma of her past. Her mother on the other hand is torn between her love for her child and her love for her husband.”
Miguel, who was not able to personally receive her award, is currently promoting the film “Bamboo Flowers”, an entry to the National Film Festival.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
See the trailer of “Nuwebe” below:
• July 28, 2013. Edwin P. Sallan “VIDEO | Cinemalaya entry ‘Nuwebe’ is inspired by true story of incest and child pregnancy” interaksyon.com
• September 17, 2013. Jecelyn V. Macahindog. “Young Pinay named Best Actress at Harlem Int’l Film Festival” mb.com.ph
• September 17, 2013. Edwin P. Sallan “Child star Barbara Miguel wins Best for ‘Nuwebe’ at Harlem Int’l Film Festival” interaksyon.com