Graco Stroller Recall: FAQs and How To Install The Protective Hinge CoverFind out why the Graco stroller recall is the largest in American history, know how to check if your Graco stroller is affected, and learn DIY steps for installing the protective hinge cover.
Why were Graco strollers recalled in the U.S.?
Around 1.5 million Graco strollers were recalled in the U.S. recently due to 5 reported cases of fingertip amputations and 2 cases of laceration hazards to children when opening or closing the canopy. This is said to be the largest product recall in American history.
Which Graco stroller models are affected by the recall?
The recall includes the Graco Passage, Alano, and Spree strollers and travel systems. Below is a chart of the affected model numbers and particular hinge mechanisms:
7240DNB, 7240DNB27240MKL2, 7240MKL3
7255CLP, 7255CLP2,7255CRA2, 7255CRA3,7255CSA3, 7255GPK3,7255GRN, 7255GRN2,7255JJB3, 7255ORC2,7255WLO2, 7255WLO3
7260BAN, 7260BAN2,7260BAN3, 7260MRA2,7260MRA3, 7260PKR,7260PKR2
Where can I find the model number of my child’s Graco stroller?ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
The model number is found along the lower inside portion of the real frame, just above the rear frame.
What is being done about it?CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Graco Children’s Products, Inc., manufacturer of the strollers, are providing protective canopy hinge covers that parents can order for free as an added precaution. These can be easily installed by the parents themselves.
Graco has set up an FAQ post on its blog to address concerns and inquiries.
How do I know if my Graco stroller needs this protective canopy hinge cover?
To confirm that you have the affected Graco stroller, below are photos of the hinge affected and the unaffected hinge covers.
What if I’m not based in the U.S.? Can I get a Graco protective canopy hinge cover?
Yes. Graco has confirmed that consumers of the affected Graco strollers may avail of the protective canopy hinge cover.
How to install the protective canopy hinge covers
Here is a transcription of the step-by-step procedure of how to properly attach the Graco stroller protective canopy hinge cover, as well as screen caps from Graco’s official safety announcement, available on Youtube , to serve as your guide:
1. Unsnap the top of the protective cover and undo the hook and loop fasten strip on the bottom section of the protective cover to place it on top of the canopy bar. The snap should be located at the top of the cover, facing toward the outside of the stroller for correct placement.
2. Wrap the snap end of the cover around the canopy bar and fasten the snap together.
3. Open the canopy all the way by pushing it toward the stroller handle.
4. Slide the protective cover behind the stroller arm and through the fabric so that the protective cover is all the way around the stroller arm.
5. Make sure the bottom section of the protective cover is directly around the outside canopy hinge.
6. Tightly wrap the protective cover around the canopy hinge and fasten the hook and loop fasten strip piece by pressing firmly along the entire length of this section.
7. Rotate and position the protective cover, making sure that the snap is on inside of the stroller, inaccessible to the child.
8. Verify that the canopy hinge is completely covered by checking that the back of the protective cover is not visible.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
9. Repeat the same process on the opposite side of the stroller on the other canopy hinge. Do not remove the protective covers once they have been installed.
Is there someone I can contact so I can inquire about getting my Graco protective canopy hinge cover?Graco strollers in the Philippines are distributed by Bankee Trading Inc. For further inquiries, contact Bankee Trading, Inc. at the following numbers:
Tel. (02) 4141987Tel. (02) 4141977Fax: (02) 7328030
Bankee Trading Inc. is located at 422 N.S. Amoranto Street Sta. Mesa Heights Quezon City, Philippines, 1100
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, “Graco Recalls Strollers Due to Fingertip Amputation and Laceration Hazards”The Christian Science Monitor, “Graco stroller recall: Is your Graco stroller affected?”Gracobaby.com, “Recall & Safety Notifications: 2010 Passage™, Alano™ and Spree™ Stroller Recall”Blog.Gracobaby.com, "Safety Announcement for Select Graco Passage, Alano and Spree Stroller Models - January 20, 2010"78
Trending in Summit Network