- News Get A Chance To Win P100,000 By Sharing Your Smart Parenting Story!
- Toddler Co-Sleeping With Your Kids Makes Them Grow Up Confident, Says Study
- Labor & Childbirth Labor And Delivery Horror Stories: 'Nakakawala Ng Dignidad Manganak'
- News Lilo Is Too Adorable With Her Toy Propeller That Dad Philmar Alipayo Made Using Coconut Leaves!
Is Sperm-killing Ultrasound the New Male Contraceptive?A study on rats reveals the sperm-reducing potential of sound waves.
A new form of male birth control may be well on its way to being developed, suggests a study by the University of North Carolina.
Their study involved non-invasive ultrasound treatment on male rats’ testes, resulting in the significant reduction in the rats’ sperm levels. It was found out that they could actually zap or kill sperm-creating cells to an index of zero with 2 15-minute sessions.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
The amazing thing about the findings is that rats are extremely more fertile than humans. The resulting low sperm count of 3,000 motile sperm for milliliter or even fewer can still make them reproduce, but in humans, a male with this sperm count would already be considered infertile. In humans, a low sperm level would be anything below 15 million sperm per milliliter.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
The researchers are looking into how long such an effect will last, if the results are reversible, and if the procedure is safe enough to be repeated multiple times.
• January 29, 2012. Jennifer Welsh. “Future Male Birth Control May Zap Sperm with Sound Waves” www.livescience.com
• January 30, 2012. Rheana Murray. “Ultrasound kills sperm, could be the future of male birth control: study” nydailynews.com
• January 31, 2012. Iva Roze Skoch. “Male birth control by killing sperm with ultrasound?” globalpost.com
Photo by bhav.bhav via flickr creative commons
Trending in Summit Network