Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Local Government Units Encouraged to Set Up Breastfeeding StationsBreastfeeding and lactation programs are getting more support from the government.
Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jesse M. Robredo recently urged local officials to have breastfeeding stations in their respective cities or town halls.
A memorandum was issued to provincial governors, mayors, barangay officials, among others, to also establish a workplace lactation program in each of their offices within three months.
The initiative is in line with recommendations from the Department of Health (DOH) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
The Expanded Breastfeeding Promotion Act (RA 10028), which has been signed into law since March 2010, includes provisions to support breastfeeding mothers in the workplace, such as:ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
• Private enterprises as well as government agencies, including government-owned and controlled corporations, are required to put up lactation stations.
• Expenses incurred by private health and non-health facilities, establishments or institutions in complying with the law will now be deductible expenses (for income tax purposes) that can be up to twice the actual amount incurred.
• The law requires “lactation periods” for breastfeeding employees, in addition to time-off for meals, to allow them time to express their breast milk. This period should be less no less than a total of 40 minutes for every eight-hour working period.
• Health institutions are encouraged to put up breast milk banks to store pasteurized breast milk donated by breastfeeding mothers.
• Breastfeeding will now be included in the curriculum of schools (under relevant subjects).
“With these efforts, we hope to help nursing mothers ensure that their infants get optimum health and proper nutrition through breastfeeding which they can do anytime once lactation stations are already set up,” said Robredo.
Photo from fotopedia.com
• April 28, 2011. Jerome Carlo R. Paunan. “Set up breastfeeding stations, local execs told” Pia.gov.ph < >
• April 28, 2011. “Robredo urges LGUs to set up breastfeeding stations” Ph.News.Yahoo.comADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW