- Preschooler How to Raise a Child Fluent in Filipino First: Tips From Teachers
- Love & Relationships Why Is My Wife Always Angry? Hubbies, 5 Reasons And How You Can Help Her Better Next Time
- Money 'Help! Hindi Ko Mapigil Ang Online Shopping Lalo Kapag Malungkot Ako'
- Love & Relationships Ang Ugali Na Madalas Dahilan Ng Pagkasira Ng Isang Relasyon
New McDonald’s “Happy” Meal Mascot: Yay or Nay?New Happy Meal ambassador receives flak on social media
As part of a campaign to promote healthier additions to its Happy Meal menu, McDonald’s introduced its new ambassador, “Happy”.
The new menu offering is a strawberry-flavored yogurt, the Yoplait’s Go-Gurt, which will be available in McDonald’s branches in the U.S. beginning July 4. This yogurt, made exclusively for the fastfood chain, has 50 calories and 25 percent less sugar than a leading kid’s low-fat yogurt, and is made with natural flavors.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Related story: Fast Food Chains Serving Healthier Menu Items
The press release explained that Happy was created in order to “encourage kids to try fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and wholesome beverages such as water or juice.” Happy “is about bringing more fun and excitement to kids’ meals, including eating wholesome food choices like low-fat yogurt,” said McDonald’s in a statement.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Happy, in fact, has existed since 2009 in France, later on debuting in Latin America and certain European countries.
However, instead of sparking delight and excitement among the public, McDonald’s announcement on Twitter only ignited fear:ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Some netizens, on the other hand, were more welcoming:
In March 2012, McDonald’s U.S. began including apple slices and a kid-friendly size of their famous French fries in each Happy Meal. Later this year, McDonald’s USA plans to limit the beverage choices that comes with a Happy Meal to milk, juice or water, which will be reflected in all their in-restaurant menu boards, external advertising and communications.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
In the Philippines, people are also becoming more conscious about what they eat at fastfood chains, resulting in the companies introducing healthier items in their menu.
• May 19, 2014. Maureen Morrison. “McDonald’s Unveils New Happy Meal Ambassador, Terrifies Twitter” adage.com
• May 19, 2014. “McDonald’s USA Introduces New Low-Fat Yogurt Side and Happy Meal Ambassador” news.mcdonalds.com
• May 20, 2014. Leslie Patton. “McDonald’s Happy Meal Character Scares Social-Media Users” Bloomberg.com
Photos from McDonald’s Twitter account, @mcdonalds
Trending in Summit Network