- Real Parenting Ogie Alcasid And Michael V. On Fatherhood: 'Enjoy The Ride, Put Your Foot Down, Be Involved'
- Toddler 'May Insekto Sa Loob Ng Tenga Ng Anak Ko!': Heto Ang Dapat Mong Gawin Nang Mabilis
- Getting Pregnant 13 Sex Positions for Deep Penetration to Help You Get Pregnant!
- Home Mom Shares How She Organizes Tiny Kitchen: ‘Kahit Budget Meal Lang Nagmukhang Mahal’
Parents Born Farther Apart Yield Taller Kids, Says StudyWant to have tall kids? Marry someone not from your hometown, says a Polish study.
The results of a new study, published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, shows that if a child’s parents come from different regions, the higher the chances are of their child being taller, and that the farther apart the locations, the likelihood gets even higher.
The researchers, led by Dariusz Danel from the Institute of Anthropology at the Polish Academy of Sciences, believe that this happens because of the sheer difference of genes of the mother and father, versus if they came from the same town. The increased genetic diversity allows the children’s bodies to behave more efficiently, notably during age 6 to 18 years old.
The researchers studied 2,675 boys and 2,603 girls in Poland, whose heights were studied every year in school. While many factors aside from marital distance contribute to offspring’s height, such as socioeconomic status, it [marital distance] accounted for 20 percent of the height variations among boys and 14 percent among girls.
Marital distance was considered to be only an indirect approximation of genes, since the study didn’t’ take into account the children’s genomes for heterozygosity, which is the “genetic diversity present in an individual”.
• August 4, 2011. Stephanie Pappas. “Want a Tall Kid? Try a Long-Distance Relationship” livescience.com
• August 6, 2011. Jaspreet Virk. “Want to have tall kids? Marry ‘out of town’ – study” themedguru.com
Photo by Gideon Tsang via flickr creative commonsADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Trending in Summit Network