- Love & Relationships Mickey Ferriols On Forgiving Son's Dad: Walang Maidudulot Na Maganda Ang Pagiging Bitter
- Food #ShareKoLang Food Budgeting Hacks Para Makatipid Sa Weekly Grocery
- Baby 'Tough Love' Parenting for Boys Could Do More Harm Than Good
- News Drew Arellano Thinks Rizal Is A Good Spot For His Future Family Home
PETA Calls for Manila Zoo to be Closed DownPhotos of emaciated animals on the Internet prompt worried members of PETA to push for the closing down of Manila Zoo.
Officials from PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) renew their call for Manila Zoo to be closed down due to a growing concern for the animals which seem to have been subjected to improper living conditions.
For instance, photos of thin, wounded and seemingly sick animals from the Manila Zoo have been circulating around the Internet. Despite many years of calling the attention of the zoo officials, no concrete action has been taken to improve the state of the animals. PETA cites
the state of “Mafi”, an elephant that has been with the zoo for 30 years already. Mafi lives in a cemented area, a far cry from the habitat that U.S. sanctuaries are more than willing to provide.
Another example is that of the orangutan “Sisi”, whose enclosure lies near noisy food and souvenir stands. Sisi’s cage was reportedly almost perennially unkempt and filled with litter. Sisi died two years ago after around 28 years of tenure in the zoo.
Other reasons pointed out by PETA for their call for closure is that there is no such thing as a good zoo as animals are best kept in their natural habitat, and that children nowadays can easily learn about animals anyway through the Internet.
Malacanang has reportedly brought this to the attention of the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) and is calling upon the support of citizens in helping restore Manila Zoo.
Interested to help? Sign a petition via change.org or donate funds to the Manila Zoo by calling 468-9498 and 383-6862.
• July 14, 2011. Thea Alberto-Masakayan. Ph.News.Yahoo.com
• July 15, 2011. “PETA pushes for closure of Manila Zoo due to alleged animal maltreatment” spot.ph
• July 13, 2011. Karen Ang. “The Very Sad State of Manila Zoo” Propinoy.net
Photo by Jun Acullador via flickr creative commonsADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Trending in Summit Network