- News Pedias Advice Parents: 'Vaccination Is Not Recommended for Dengue Outbreak'
- Your Kid’s Health Lapitin ba ng Lamok Ang Iyong Anak? 5 Rason Kaya Siya Kinakagat
- Toddler The Home Is Your Child's First Classroom: 7 Montessori Principles You Can Use
- Kids with Special Needs Alamin ang Inyong Karapatan: Listahan ng Mga Benepisyo ng PWD sa Pilipinas
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
Pinoy Mom Wins Paternity Suit against Korean PartnerShows promise for thousands of "Kopinos" (Korean-Filipinos) abandoned in the Philippines
A court in Seoul, Korea has ruled in favor of two boys raised by their Pinoy mom, and concluded that they have been fathered by a Korean national.
The Korean trader, said to be married and with kids in South Korea, had set up a business in the Philippines and had two boys with the Filipina. They cohabited for several years before he went back to Korea 10 years ago, denying all forms of contact with the Filipino mother.
In December 2012, the Filipina flew to Korea and filed the lawsuit with the help of a lawyer from the Support Center for Women’s Hotline. Through a DNA test and by evidence of the children’s birth certificates, the said Korean businessman was found to be the biological father of the boys.
This would be the first time a Korean court would recognize the existence of “Kopinos”, or those individuals born to a Korean father and a Filipina mother. There are an estimated 10,000 to 30,000 of Kopinos abandoned in the Philippines.
Reports The Korea Times, if their top court upholds the ruling, then the mother can demand child support from the Korean father. The plaintiff’s lawyer, Cho Dongh-shik, denied though that the lawsuit had anything to do with a need for financial support. “I understand she wants to have the two boys included in the man’s official family registry and be raised in South Korea,” said Cho.
The names of those involved in the lawsuit were not disclosed for their privacy.
• June 22, 2014. Kim Se-jeong. “Korean-Filipino children win paternity suit against Korean father” m.koreaherald.com
• June 22, 2014. “Filipino mom wins paternity suit against Korean” koreatimes.co.kr
• June 23, 2014. “Pinay wins paternity suit vs Korean in landmark ruling” abs-cbnnews.com
• June 23, 2014. “Pinay wins paternity suit vs Korean trader in landmark ruling” gmanetwork.com
Photo from adoptionstogether.orgADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW