- Home Done With Your Grocery Run? How To Properly Disinfect Your Clothes When Returning Home
- Food Craving for Carbs? Here Are The Stores Delivering Freshly Baked Bread
- Preschooler Baby Shark And Paw Patrol Hand Washing Videos Are Here (Hang In There, Parents)
- News Mahal Na Araw 2020: Paano Ang Paggunita Ng Semana Santa Sa Gitna Ng COVID-19?
Infectious Diseases, Misinformation Among Urgent Health Challenges For The Next DecadeThe list also includes climate changes, lack to quality medicines and health facilities, and more.by Kate Borbon .
The World Health Organization (WHO) has released its list of the most urgent health challenges facing the world for the next decade, and it includes issues such as the spread of infectious diseases, the proliferation of misinformation, drug resistance, and many more.
The list, which was published on Monday, January 13, 2020, was put together with the help of input from leading experts around the world. The WHO says that the list reflects the fact that leaders are not investing enough resources in vital health systems and priorities. This then puts countless lives, livelihoods, and economies in harm’s way.
Among the health challenges in the list are infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, malaria, and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), which are predicted to account for an estimated four million deaths in 2020.
Vaccine-preventable diseases, in particular, continue to be a major cause of deaths worldwide. In 2019 alone, measles killed 140,000 lives (many of them children) while 156 cases of wild poliovirus were recorded, the highest number since 2014.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
The continued dissemination of misinformation on the Internet, particularly on social media, has also been named a significant health challenge the world needs to address in the coming years, especially because this has led to the erosion of patients’ trust in health workers and public institutions.
The organization continues, “The anti-vaccination movement has been a significant factor in the rise of deaths in preventable diseases.”
Another item in the list is anti-microbial resistance (AMR), which could reverse the advancements made in the field of medicine. AMR is “the ability of bacteria, viruses and some parasites to develop ways to block medicines used to fight them, so that the medicines may no longer work,” CNN writes.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
In no particular order, the other challenges included in the list are the following:
- Climate change
- Healthcare amid crisis and conflict
- Unfair access to healthcare
- Lack of access to medicines, vaccines, and other healthcare products
- Preparation for epidemics
- Unsafe foods and products (e.g., tobacco, e-cigarettes)
- Under-investment in health workers
- Safety of adolescents
- New technologies (e.g., gene editing, synthetic biology)
- Lack of access to clean health facilities
Infectious diseases have also been named the leading cause of mortality among kids ages five years and below. Click here to learn more.
More from Smart Parenting
Trending in Summit Network