If you have not yet thought about what gifts to give your kids this Christmas, we have a wonderful suggestion for you: how about a Christmas getaway?
Sure, Christmas at home is always fun. Some of the things kids usually anticipate during the holidays include the parties they have in their schools, the beautiful fairy lights that festoon houses and buildings, the jaw-dropping assortment of delicious rice cakes and candies that are sold during the season, and above all, the gifts they get on Christmas Eve.
But a Christmas away from home can make the holidays much more special. Just imagine your kids telling their friends, “last Christmas, we went to see the Merlion in Singapore!” Surely, that beats “we had noche buena at home while watching lions kill wildebeests on Animal Planet!”
So folks, pack all your travel accouterments, and we’ll walk you through the 8 best places for a Christmas family getaway!
Christmas Getaway # 1: Singapore
Why you’ll love it Speaking of the Merlion, we’re starting our list with Singapore because it is easily one of the best places in Asia where kids and families can enjoy themselves. This ultra-modern global city has long shed off its “Singa-bore” image. Twenty-somethings love it for its exuberant nightlife, and nowadays, it also offers a range of attractions that are sure to keep younger tots happy, too. Plus, the city’s very efficient transportation system ensures that you’ll get to your destination a-okay and without delay.
What to visit • Snow City Snow in the tropics? It’s totally possible! At the Snow City indoor winter park, you don’t only get to play with snow, you also have the choice to learn how to use skis and snowboards!
• Singapore Zoo and Night Safari These two adjacent wildlife parks are among the best places in the world to experience close encounters with animals and to learn about their conservation. The Night Safari, for instance, houses over 1,200 animals from 100 different exotic species from Asia, Africa, and South America. In addition, your family can also enjoy a wonderful jungle breakfast at the Singapore Zoo!
• Wacky Duck Tour This hour-long heritage tour takes you around Singapore and Marina Bay aboard an amphibious vehicle. Yep, the tour vehicle is a converted military craft that now serves both as a bus and as a boat!
• Jurong Bird Park Here, you and the kids can hand-feed beautiful colorful birds called lories, which live in very large free-flight aviaries. Aside from lories, the park is also home to more than 380 other bird species, 29 of which are endangered.
• Singapore Science Centre Singapore’s premier science museum offers a variety of exciting interactive exhibits, including the Dinosaurs Live exhibit, which will run from October 2011 to February 2012.
• Resorts World Sentosa Universal Studios is located here, along with the Marine Life Park and the Maritime Experiential Museum and Aquarium for kids who love science and history.