Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: All about Clubfeet  (Read 52279 times)

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
All about Clubfeet
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:27:24 am »

Hi mommies,

just want to ask if there's any parent here who gave birth to a clubfeet/clubfoot ?

When i gave birth to my bunso we were surprised to know that he has bilateral clubfeet. Clubfeet is such a new word to us.  Clubfoot is not caught in any of the several ultrasounds i had.

It is important for new parents to know that they are not alone in this, even if they had never heard of clubfoot prior to the diagnosis of their child nor birth of their child (as in my case).  It is estimated that one in a thousand children are born with clubfoot every year.

We found out that giving birth to a clubfoot child is not the end of the World...Dr. Ignacio Ponseti gave us hope by introducing the non-surgical way of treating clubfoot - the Ponseti Method.

Clubfoot can be treated.  The difficult part is the finding "the right doctor" who practice Ponseti Method... The onus is always on the parents to know if their doctor is 100% practicing the Ponseti Method.

Please dont get me wrong here, i am not selling anything - just sharing information about clubfoot.

If you gave birth to a clubfoot/clubfeet child, on what stage of treatment are you now?

Mod's note:
Post a question about this topic or share your experience. 
Login or register to join this and other discussions! Members get a downloadable freebie upon registration or membership update.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:45:34 pm by Mommyjazz »
:) ;)  my babies

chill

• View Profile
Re: All about Clubfeet
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:23 pm »

i am a pt grad and now preparing for the local boards, i have had clubfoot patients when i was an intern. i agree with mommyjen and let me add a little info about it.

clubfoot is a congenital deformity and is relatively common and can take many forms. the cause is unknown. clubfoot sometimes coexist with other congenital deformities, such as spina bifida and cleft palate. the flexible form is easily treated, but the resistant type often requires surgery.

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 04:06:57 pm »

Hi!  I may be out of place here since I am a daddy.  My Daughter was born with bilateral clubfeet and I stumbled upon your post when I was searching for local articles about clubfoot.

May I know who your doctor is and how is your child doing now?

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »

Hi daddy redisol,

My child is now 2 yrs and 3 months old.  He is walking, running, hopping and jumping high  :D I have compiled a few based on our clubfoot adventure (casting, bracing, etc) You can visit our clubfoot adventure at two.tiny.feet.googlepages.com.

My son was treated by Dr. Juanito Javier (PGH).

My son uses Mitchells shoes and currently wearing them 12 hours a day/ 7 days a week.  ;)  His bracewear did not in anyway hinder his developmental milestone, if that is your concern.

You can seen him walk wearing his mitchells shoes at red.richt.googlepages.com

How old is your daughter now? in what stage of treatment are you in?

Feel free to ask question / concern about clubfoot.

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:09 am »

Thanks! My daughter was casted when she was 4 days old and it will be her 5th casting today.  My concern kasi is it looks like her doctor is not following the Ponseti Method to the letter.  I'm thinking of going to DR. Julyn Aguilar to ask for her opiniion.

About the Mitchells Brace.  How many sets have you used since you started bracing Yanni? Di ba pahirapan ang compliance now that he's 2years old? Si Doctor Javier ba ang nagrecommend?  My daughter's doctor will not put her on brace until she's a bit bigger daw.  He will instead fashion a special ortho shoes for her which worries me.

How's the waiting time a Dr. Javier's clinic?  Hirap kasi pumila with an infant.  I heard din na medyo mahaba pila kay Dr. Aguilar that's why we're hesitating.

btw, did Yanni undergo Tenotomy?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 07:28:23 am by redisol »

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:44 am »

Who is treating your daughter?  Can you compare the cast position that she has with the cast on this link:
http://sites.google.com/site/jneyneeestrera/castingphase

About Mitchells Brace - it is not prescribed by Dr. Javier, due to its cost.  We have the black one with lace locally made as Yanni's first brace but it is not as comforatble as the Mitchells brace (which was prescribed by Dr. Ponseti) All in all, Yanni had 4 sets of brace.  The change of bracewear depends on the growth of the foot.  Usually you will have 2-3 for the first year then 1-2 on the second year and then most likely once a year na lang kasi hindi na ganong kabilis ang paglaki ng paa ng bata.

Just wondering what special ortho shoes does your doctor mean?  Have you seen it?  How much success rate does your doctor have in treating clubfoot?  You can order Mitchell shoes directly online at MD Orthopaedic (www.mdorthopaedics.com) or thru Dr. Aguilar.

I know talagang mahirap pumila with an infant.  I've been there :-)  We started when Yanni was 2 weeks old and that time, hindi pa ako masyadong makalakad (napilay ako, but that's another story :-) ) Since Dr. Javier's clinic is in PGH. Usually, the first day is talagang mahaba ang pila kasi you have to secure a blue card (as the partient's record or pass) but the succeeding schedules usually from 12:00 noon dapat nasubmit na blue card then matatapos na yung consultation before 4pm. (4pm ang pinaka matagal)

You can call Dr. Aguilar and ask her what is the best time you can go in her clinic and explain the situation that its difficult for you to wait  a long period of time since you are bring an infant.

btw, where are you located?

Yanni had six sets of cast (the 5th and 6th being the holding cast due to the unavailability of the brace) and no tenotomy.

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 11:47:20 am »

by the way, have you joined a yahoo group for clubfoot? Try joining nosurgery4clubfoot yahoo group, if you are interested, there are lots of info there   ;)

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »

I'm here in Manila.
 I'll not name the doctor muna but he was highly recommended and madami din syang patients na clubfooted kaya I'm in a dilemma on whether to transfer or not.   Baka naman kasi ok din pala ang technique niya and we are already halfway. Sayang din.  Haven't seen the special shoes yet.  I'll see what happens today when we go for another checkup.

I already joined the Yahoo Groups but so far ikaw pa lang na-contact kong parent and through this forum lang.    Meron kasi dun na parent whose son was treated by my  daughter's doctor but so far wala pang reply sa email message  ko.

Magastos pala ang Mitchell's brace.  Do you have to order the whole set every time nakalakihan  na niya?  Kailangan ba lahat orderin like the pressure saddle and what's the difference between the AFO Pair and the
AFO/PFS Pair?   

Sorry, daming tanong.  Just want my daughter to get well as soon as possible.

btw, how much usually fee ni Dr. Javier/casting?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:02:31 pm by redisol »

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:06 pm »

actually, hindi naman masama kung mag seek ka ng second opinion...if you want you can email Dr. Morcuende or Dr. Dobbs or Dr. Van Bosse. send them some photo of your daughter's feet - showing the front, back side and the dorsiflexion knee bent and the dorsiflexion knee straight.  They are good in replying emails kahit hindi ka nila patient.

Medyo magastos talaga ang brace kahit hindi Mitchells...Actually ang locally made sa PGH will cost around 1.5k to 2k per pair. Hindi pa pwedeng gamitin as walking shoes. Tapos (based on my experience) hindi pa comfortable ang baby.

Hindi naman whole set ang orderin everytime nakalakihan na..yung shoes lang kasi yung bar naman can be extended and it comes in two length kaya if ever baka twice lang mag-order ng bar unless masira

Kami hindi na kami nag-order ng pressure saddle kasi hindi naman nagka problem si Yanni sa Pressure kaya hindi na kami kumuha  ;)

AFO - usually eto ang prescribed para sa mga clubfoot unless may mga issues na dapat i-address. Ito ang binibili once na outgrown na ang old shoes

PFS - Plantar Flexion Stop - usually para ito sa mga atypical clubfoot or complex clubfoot or sa simpleng salita yung mga nangangailangan ng karagdagang dorsiflexion (motion of feet upwards)

Sa PGH, mura lang ang bayad, halos wala na nga, eh..yun nga lang tiyagaan lang sa pila lalo na sa first day... Casting materials lang ang bayad at kapag sinuwerte pa minsan hindi ka na pabibilhin...Tapos pwede ka rin mag-apply sa SS (Security Service) yata yun para may discount ka kapag bibili ka ng gamot or casting materials or laboratory sa loob ng PGH
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:54:23 pm by MommyJen »

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

Thanks again.  Just came home from my daughter's checkup and I'm convinced that I should see Dra. Aguilar ASAP.  I'll try to book an appointment this thursday. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:05:42 pm by redisol »

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:22 pm »

Goodluck with your appointment. If you have further query, just ask  ;)

Balitaan mo rin ako hows your appointment with Dra Aguilar, ha.. :)

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:37 am »

Already have an appointment.  I'll update you. 

You've good PM!

redisol

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:54:25 am »

The trip to Dra. Aguilar's clinic wasn't as stressful naman pala.   Took us 30mins to get to st. lukes and another 30+ mins, kami na.

I guess you're right about the Mitchells

Kay Dra. Aguilar pala required niya ang Mitchells brace.  Based kasi sa experience niya those who opted to use locally manufactured ones end up buying the Mitchells kaya napapadoble gastos.  Some who insisted on using the local ones had relapses due to non compliance.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:56:55 am by redisol »

aram_zendryx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 06:59:19 pm »

hi momy jen,,
I've just read the post about clubfoot this afternoon.my son was a bilateral clubfeet too,  he is now 1year and 5 months.  my son was casted when he was 5 days old.and been casted four times (changes cast every ten days). we already bought a dennis brown shoes at POC as the doctor prescribe.  that shoes helps his feet but not completely corrected...he really loves to walk na that's why we bought another shoes for walking,(it cost much).but he's not comfortable with the new one. and i think it's not working anyway..before the walking shoes came he undergo 2 and half months foot therapy.

last January 15,2010 we went to POC and the doctor advices to xray it first the next tuesday  before she cast his feet again until it was totally corrected, but we didn't make it on Tuesday (my son had fever,haba kase ng byahe 3 oras fr, cavite to POC)

Last january 22,2010 we also asked the advices from the orthopedic of University of Perpetual help Las pinas.kase un ang malapit-lapit na ortho from our place. he also advices us to cast again backtozero ulit...

now we have not decided yet,who's doctor...

need some advice..please..thanks,,reply asap..

thanks po sa mga post ...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:26:00 pm by aram_zendryx »

Jennifer Arenajo

• View Profile
    • Two Tiny Feet
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 04:27:46 pm »

hi aram_zendryx,

sorry for the late post, weekdays lang ako nakakapag-online :(

first, the shoes/brace or dennis brown will not correct the foot, but rather help maintain the correction it has achieved.

If the foot is not 100% correct yet, it (foot) will never be ready for brace.

casting phase - if the casting is not done properly, it may do more harm than good.

there are different types of clubfoot/clubfeet.  The typical - normally corrected after 6-7 sets of cast and / or tenotomy and the atypical or also known as the complex clubfoot - a more difficult case of clubfoot but can also be treated which only needs a qualified professional who is accustomed to treat complex clubfoot.

If you can and willing to go to Dr. Aguilar at St. Luke's - then go...Dr. Aguilar is known to be qualified in treating complex clubfoot.  yun nga lang as i heard, medyo pricey ang prof fee niya pero sure naman and treatment.

But if you are matiyaga to wait (sa pila), i can suggest you can go at PGH, mas affordable ang cost of treatment and  malaki rin ang success rate ng good results (isa na ang anak ko :) )

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:29:36 pm by εз ♥MommyJen♥ »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8