Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget to check your email verification from info@smartparenting.com.ph

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: All about potty training  (Read 151735 times)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
All about potty training
« on: June 04, 2007, 09:14:46 pm »

I've heard some Moms had done this with their babies below 1 year old. How is this training exactly done? It will surely save me a lot of diapers.

Mod's note:
Related articles on Smart Parenting:

Ready to Potty Train? 5 Key Things to Remember Before You Start
http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/toddler/5-things-to-remember-toddler-potty-training-a00041-20170731

Should You Potty Train Your Baby Before She Can Sit Up?
http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/baby/should-you-potty-train-your-baby-before-she-can-sit-up-a00041-20170414

Post a question about this topic or share your experience.
Login or register to join this and other discussions! Members get a downloadable freebie upon registration or membership update.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:51:32 pm by Mommyjazz »
Sumali sa mga usaping pang magulang. Magtanong at magbigay ng payo dito sa Parent Chat.

bella_mamma

• View Profile
    • BubbaCakes diaper cakes!
Re: how to toilet train a baby?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:37:02 am »

Hi Mommy Jazz!

I remember, my daughter's pedia suggested not putting diapers on baby.  Just plain undies.  So that when they pee, they won't like the feeling of being wet.  Also, try sitting baby on the potty every now and then.  Try to observe first how long it takes for baby to pee or poop after feeding.  Then, try the potty at about the same time.  It can get messy though and your patience will be really tested.  But, if you'r really keen on potty-training baby early, so you can save on diapers as you said, then it's worth a try.   
For diaper cakes & party giveaways that are Made by Hand and Done with Love, just go to BubbaCakes by Gifts Ahoy! AND Check out my li'l girl's site as well at WeLoveGabbie in Multiply.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 07:41:11 pm »

Thanks bella_mamma. But should I wait til the baby learns how to walk? I read kasi of a mother who got to train her baby as early as 5 mos.
Sumali sa mga usaping pang magulang. Magtanong at magbigay ng payo dito sa Parent Chat.

bella_mamma

• View Profile
    • BubbaCakes diaper cakes!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:20:39 pm »

Talaga?  5 mos?  I'd say ang galing naman nung Mom na yun.  :)

Hmmm, actually, I'm not sure about waiting for baby to learn how to walk.
For diaper cakes & party giveaways that are Made by Hand and Done with Love, just go to BubbaCakes by Gifts Ahoy! AND Check out my li'l girl's site as well at WeLoveGabbie in Multiply.

mommy_kat

• Beach Bums having Fun!
    • View Profile
    • Arjay's wife, Lujean's SAHM & Entre-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 10:20:34 am »

I'm STILL toilet training Lujean right now. So far yun new style ko works for her....I made a potty chart for her and everytime she successfully uses the potty (meaning: she doesn't pee right after she says that she's gonna pee...minsan kasi right after the sentence lalabas na...di umaabot sa potty :D), she puts a sticker on the chart (a simple grid chart) and everytime yun sticker lands on the shaded square (every 7th squre is shaded), she gets a "reward" (e.g. extended park time, a bag of chips, extended tv time, etc...). Hope this helps... ;)
In Christ's Love
from Arjay's wife and Lujean's SAHM,

Karen V. Cabezon
(a.k.a. Mommy Kat)

kittykat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:08:07 am »

hi Jazz!

i think the key is never force them to go potty if they're not ready yet... you'll know naman if and when they're ready na... every now and then sit your baby on the potty even if she doesn't feel like going... just to let her get the feel of sitting on the potty... take cue na rin from her; ask her if she needs to pee or poop then offer to seat her on the potty... it'll help too if she's not wearing a nappy... it'll really depend on you when you want to start training your baby... i started potty training Colin when he was already 2... to some maybe that's a little too late but then again every baby's different from the other... some can be taught earlier and some at a later time... now I can say at least Colin's diaper-free during the day... yung night time medyo hit and miss pa rin kami  ;)... just remember, do it at your baby's own pace  :)

FabMommyM

• working mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:56:24 am »

my son is potty trained already at 2 except for night time, kelangan pa mag diapers.  he's now 3.5, ang prob ko naman now is pinipigil ang poopoo...

we also created a poopoo chart :)  we put stars whenever may success! hehe
Fab Party Souvenirs? Try our Picture Cards/Bag Tags

♥ pink ♥

• butterfly kisses
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 03:14:18 pm »

how do you teach your child to wash up after he/she goes poo :)

parang feeling ko kasi i have to teach my son na e... he is 6yo :) parang bigla ko lang na isip na...oo nga no, dapat sya na mag isa... hehe we wash him kasi after he does it e.

mommy haze

• mom of two wonderful little boys
    • View Profile
    • Mommy Haze
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 11:26:00 am »

i agree with kittykat, that we should not force our kids to go potty. in time they'll learn. :)

with kyle, since he's two, we take it one day at a time. there are times that he's willing to go to the potty and sit, then there are times when he's afraid to go near the potty at all. the good thing though with him is that he gets to inform us after the deed.

i like that suggestion to create a chart of successful attempts. thanks! :D

luvmyson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 01:08:53 pm »

i envy those moms who have potty trained their children because being a working mom and who stays at the office until 8pm, i honestly dont know how to start. my son just turned 2 and every weekend i'm teaching him how to use the toilet pero mukhang it wont work.

any tips po for a working mom like me would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:30:20 pm »

I found this article on Yahoo news. Toilet training a baby as early as 3 months old. May picture pa. It shows both positive and negative opinions as well as pros and cons. Please check out
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/diaper_free_babies

jenigirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 02:16:33 am »

Hi Mommy Jazz, I actually met a mom who have a diaper-free 6 month-old baby!  I met her during one of the Bestfriends in Breastfeeding sessions I attended in Mandaluyong.  I'm not sure but I think she started when her baby was around 2 to 3 months old.  She said accidents can still happen and you really can't avoid that.  But the key is to start off by knowing when the baby is likely to pee or poo, which is usually after they wake up, after meals etc.  Then she puts her in a squatting position and she makes hissing sounds until she does her thing.

But I think the yahoo article was right, these babies are not really potty trained because they still have no control over their bladder or bowel movements.  Their parents can simply tell from their body language or other signs that their babies are about to go.  But if you have the time and the patience, this is definitely worth it.  Aside from being able to help the environment, you can avoid the truly heart wrenching diaper rash to occur.

m1tchi3

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 01:46:30 pm »

well sad to say my son who is 4 yrs old now still using diapers whenver he poopoo, as in yun lang talaga, ayaw niya sa toilet ewan ko ba kung bakit, one time tiniis ko na wag idiaper and guess what hindi talaga sya nagpopoo naaawa naman ako so since then naka diaper pa din sya..hhaaaaay! ano ba dapat ko gawin? please share or help me naman...

mom mitch

mommy_kat

• Beach Bums having Fun!
    • View Profile
    • Arjay's wife, Lujean's SAHM & Entre-Newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:09:53 am »

Just wanted to update you smarties...as of July 19, 2007Lujean no longer wears nappies during the day time...she poops and pees successfully on the big potty....last July 19, she just announced that she doesn't want to wear her "wee-wee-pao" anymore...and on the eve of her 3rd birthday, she agreed to place her binkies under her pillows so other babies can "use"her binkies....when she woke up, the "binky lady" gave her 2 sets of new cooking toys as replacements for her 2 binkies....we didn't forced her to do anything...she just did it on her own. No pressure...that's what's important.... :)
In Christ's Love
from Arjay's wife and Lujean's SAHM,

Karen V. Cabezon
(a.k.a. Mommy Kat)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 09:09:50 pm »

Just wanted to update you smarties...as of July 19, 2007Lujean no longer wears nappies during the day time...she poops and pees successfully on the big potty
Congrats! it's a very big deal and relief for us Moms for our kids to graduate from diapers. Imagine the savings and how our child can do everything and grow normally. When I get to toilet train my 2nd baby, I'll throw a party na. He's only 5 months so long way to go pa.
well sad to say my son who is 4 yrs old now still using diapers whenver he poopoo, as in yun lang talaga, ayaw niya sa toilet ewan ko ba kung bakit, one time tiniis ko na wag idiaper and guess what hindi talaga sya nagpopoo naaawa naman ako so since then naka diaper pa din sya..hhaaaaay! ano ba dapat ko gawin? please share or help me naman...
Suggestion ko po, just let him run around with briefs on. Let him take yakult or lots of milk, maybe real grape or a little prune juice. Mas mahirap kasi i-hold ang soft pupu. But be ready with a bucket and a mop. You have to monitor him every 15 mins. I followed this advice from a friend. My fear was the house will be in a mess if he lets go while in the living room. She said ganun daw talaga, he has to see how 'icky' it can be if he doesn't let go on the potty.  When he feels like making pupu na, just lead him to the bathroom. I did this with my daughter for 2 weeks. It was worth it. Can he use the potty at least for wiwi?
these babies are not really potty trained because they still have no control over their bladder or bowel movements. 
Ah, so it shouldn't be called 'toilet trained'. I just don't get it kasi. Babies are too young to say when they feel the need and to associate the pupu feeling with the potty. So this is just a parent solution to save money and the environment. I honestly want to try it since I'm a SAHM, but he makes pupu too early. Pag gising niya soiled na ang nappy niya, so that means I have to wake up an hour earlier (*sigh*), ang hirap for me. Maybe on other times like in the afternoon, if I get a chance.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30