Parent Chat

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Pets for Kids  (Read 34010 times)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
Re: Pets for Kids
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2013, 02:41:09 pm »

I googled "How to care for Guppies" web, image and even video. I learned that I have to change 1/2 the water in the tank 1x/week and give it a total clean and change of water 1x/mon. Guppies thrive in hard water kaya I mix the water with 1tbsp salt for every 5 gallons of water. Sariling tantya ko lang ito since I once saw a fish store attendant in cartimar sprinkle a handful of rock salt on a 20 gallon tank of german guppies. Ever since, hindi na ako namatayan ng guppy. Except for 1 female na namatay dahil sa stress sa male gups but more on that later.

Basic:
Water should be chlorine-free. Either pasingaw ka ng water sa basin for 2 days, Mix tap water (from faucet) with anti-chlorine solution and let stand overnight. Actually sabi sa directions 30mins to 1 hour pero namatayan pa rin ako. The best for me is to collect rain water. I mix it with a little hot (boiled) water kasi super lamig ang fresh rain water.

Breeding:
The ratio of male to female must be 3 females to 1 male. Agressive ang male. Before knowing this, namatayan ako ng 1 female kasi I have 8 males and 1 female. Obvious naman pag preggy na yung female. A big belly and dark bottom. I don't separate the preggy mommy until very big and medyo square (may kanto) na yung belly niya. When it's time, I place the mommy in another fish tank. I place a net (ginupit na laundry net bag, just make sure you thoroughly wash it to rid of any soap trace) to separate it from the babies when she gives birth or she'll eat her babies.

After female guppies give birth, malaki pa rin ang tummy nila. Konti lang ang niliit before birth. I read that female guppies can get pregnant up to 3 times from the same or different male guppies. They can carry 3 pregnancies at 1 time which explains why they still have a big tummy in spite they just gave birth. Kasi yung 2nd set of babies from the 2nd daddy are not fully developed for birth yet. Katuwa 'no? So when the mommy gives birth, I wait for 24 hours (recovery period ba?)before placing it back in the community. I'll separate it again pag malaki na ulit belly niya.

So here are my babies. 40+ of them.

The adult fish tank on the left. Notice the male fan guppy. I hope I get to fill my community tank with male guppies soon. Mr. Google said it will take 2 months pa for the babies to mature.

So this is my new hobby. Hope you'll enjoy it too. Nakaka tanggal ng stress just watching them. Waiting for the mommy to give birth, hoping to witness it, seeing that the 1st batch of babies are growing tails and getting colors, they swim to me at feeding time. Alam nila ako mommy nila.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
Re: Pets for Kids
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2018, 12:08:30 pm »

How to Prepare Your Child for His First Pet Dog or Cat

Read it on Smart Parenting. Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/real-parenting/pet-ownership-a1712-20180121
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]