Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Feeding / appetite problems on children 3 years old and up  (Read 112831 times)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
Feeding / appetite problems on children 3 years old and up
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:53:42 am »

My 4 year old never developed a liking for eating. When she was younger, she'd rather play at Jollibee than eat. We tried everything. Competition with cousins on who finishes first, dessert when she eats up fast, deprive her of computer games, TV if she eats slow, praise her if she does a good job, decorte her plate, new kiddie cutleries and plate, etc. Some works but for a very short while.
Her fav is sinigang and fried chicken, but we can't always have that. She should eat what everyone is eating diba? I think meal time is boring for her kasi there are many table rules to follow and she can't join adult conversatins over the table. I stopped pressuring her already because it stresses her more and lose her appetite. She'd purposely drop her fork, swings her legs and finds kicking under the table funny and leaves the table if we're not aware. We already disciplined her from making reasons to leave the table like getting a glass of water or going to the bathroom. She doesn't even have liking for cakes or ice cream. Something wrong with her tastebuds?
Please, ayaw ko na nang pinapagalitan siya over lunch or dinner. Right now I just let her finish at her own pace and not entertain her stories while eating. TV is off and I want her to focus. I don't care anymore if it takes her an hour after everyone has finished as long as she finish her food.
Any suggestions?

Read it on Smart Parenting.
3 Ways to Stay on Top of Your Child’s Growth and Development

Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/health/your-kids-health/ways-stay-on-top-child-growth-development-adv-con?ref=parentchat

Get a chance to be invited to exclusive events or grab limited freebies from Smart Parenting and partner brands! Login to reply to this topic or share your tips in this forum. Invites are sent via email to selected forum members so be an active Parent Chatter!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:46:20 pm by Parentchat Admin »

leodini

• View Profile
    • Make Your Child Happy on His Birthday
Re: Feeding / appetite problems on children 3 years old and up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 12:57:57 pm »

Have you tried giving her appetite stimulant vitamins?

When my son Kevin was 3-years old, he also suffered from poor appetite. No amount of psychological ploys would induce him to eat. We thought he was contemplating pursuing a career as an ascetic monk when he grew up.  Not eating reduced his limbs into sticks. If you haven't watched a stick figure running around the house, let me tell you it's not the most relaxing way to pass the time.

His pediatrician recommended a vitamin c*m appetite stimulant. It worked fast, and in no time at all Kevin began gaining weight.

My other child, Wendell, has a more quirky eating habit. He is picky when it comes to food. He doesn't eat rice, vegetables, fruits and other foodstuffs normally consumed by human beings, whether fine or coarse cuisine and everything in between. He eats only pizza and hamburger, and thus perpetually creating a hole in my pocket.

To answer your concern, let me suggest that you let her pediatrician see her.  I searched the Net for information about appetite disorders, and Google turned up 177 causes for poor appetite.

Jeez, 177! Reading all those causes for loss of appetite is just not humanly possible for laypeople like us.  I lost my appetite after reading just three of the causes.  Reading all 177 would probably drive me to go on a hunger strike.  ;D

Good luck.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 01:00:09 pm by leodini »

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:34:28 pm »

My daughter started eating normally at 4yo. Still picky and talks more than she chews, but we're getting there.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:00:45 am »

Nasa personality ba ng baby ang gana niya sa pagkain? When my daughter was a baby, she's already difficult to feed. I tried a lot of tricks and only got to feed her her favorites. Now she's 4, she's still picky and needs to be scolded or deprived playing/tv, just to get her to eat. Her appetite however is starting to improve and is getting cheeky.
My baby, now 11 mos, is very easy to feed. When he was old enough to eat chunky foods, he eats everything. Just at the sight of a spoon on hs face, he opens his mouth.
They both take the same vitamins nutrilin and pedcee.

youngmom

• Macky
    • View Profile
    • youngmom at multiply
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:45:09 am »

Worried about your kids and their finicky eating habits? Fret no more with these tips i like to share TO GET YOUR KIDS TO EAT RIGHT. (from children's Clusivol)

1. INVOLVE YOUR CHILD IN PLANNING SIMPLE DISHES.this would be as early as two and a half to three years of age.Children at these ages have developed their fine motor skills and want to discover what they can do with their hands.Allow them to help out in preparing their food-make them wash fruits and vegetables, mix ingredients, and pass on ingredients. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO WORK WITH KNIVES AND HEAT. describe to them their colors,shapes,textures,smell, and tastes. Count the ingredients to teach them about numbers.All these experiences help a child to learn, not only about these things,but also about foods.

2.SPIKE THEIR FAVORITE DISHES WITH VEGETABLES.soups, noodles, rice, fish, seafoods, egg, meat, and poultry dishes are far more interesting with vegetables than when served plain.Vegetable add color,texture,flavor,fiber, and loads of essential vitamins and minerals. Cut veggies creatively to make these look more attractive to children.

3.SERVE FOODS THAT CHILDREN LIKE.offer foods that they like.Never force them to eat foods that are not well liked.Such situations are stressful for children and reinforce their disliking for these foods.

4.OFFER MANAGEABLE PORTION SIZES OF FOODS TO CHILDREN.serve children food in small enough to be eaten each time.their ability to finish their food gives them a sense of achievement. Praise your children when they finish their foods. It builds their self esteem.Large portion sizes may be too bulky for children to consume completely, creating a sense of lack of control. This situation leaves both the children and mother frustrated.

5.ALLOW YOUNG CHILDREN TO HANDLE FOODS WITH THEIR HANDS.young children would like to discover new things-on them is texture. Wash their hands clean with mild soap and clean water. While we would like to train children to use spoons and forks with their hands, allow them to touch their food.Its part of their learning process about food and its textures.let them appreciate the different textures of vegetables.

6.PROVIDE YOUR CHILDREN ENOUGH TIME TO EAT THEIR FOOD.do not rush children into eating, more so finishing their food on their plate. This could be very stressful for young children. Remember, proper digestion of food start with good chewing.

7.GIVE THEM TIME TO LIKE VEGETABLES THAT ARE NEW TO THEM.as in our experiences with many foods,we may not like the taste, color, smell, or the texture of a particular vegetable. But as we get used to these, and as we encounter more often, we get to like eating these. Give them a time to get accustomed to these new tastes and new textures.never scold,more so spank,children for not eating vegetables. It only reinforces their disliking for it.

8.CREATE POSITIVE DINING EXPERIENCES.we love to eat cake and ice cream because of the happy memories we attach to these foods-birthday celebrations!. Happy and pleasurable memories that happen surrounding particular foods make us like these foods. If vegetables are attached to traumatic   experiences(like spanking) then we subconsciously reject these foods in attempt to avoid the memories of the stressful experiences we attribute to it.

9.BE A ROLE VEGETABLE EATER. help your child develop proper attitudes towards eating vegetables by talking positively about these foods. Prepare and serve these foods frequently at home so that your children can experience eating them.Show them that you enjoy eating these foods.

10.PRAISE DO A LOT OF WONDERS IN YOUR CHILDREN.when your children eat vegetables, praise them a lot for doing so. The praise must be sincere and be given when substantial amounts  have eaten. Eating vegetables should be associated with happy memories. Do not make a big fuss about untouched vegetables. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:13:01 am by toughmom »
please invite me at http://glacia14.multiply.com/

Ris

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:19:25 pm »

Update ko lang po about my daughter's poor eating habits. Since Appebon and Heraclene worked little on her, her Pedia adviced us to do an Xray na for possibility of Primary Complex. Guess what? Positive nga. Matagal nang suggest sa amin yon, my husband took it lightly. She's very active, happy and energetic. I can't even remember the last time she got sick or had cough and cold so imagine how shocked we were. She had this skin test before for PTB but the result was not conclusive kasi exacto 8mm yung skin reaction niya. But since her poor appetite, an indication of PTB, was not solved by appetite enhacers, then it could be primary complex nga.
Now we're treating her and her eating improved.

mommyjazz, that's a surprise. buti nalang you had her x-rayed. im worried about my kid too. super payat pa rin. aside from being a preemie, she's also picky with her solids. she took heraclene for a long time and it kind of helped. pero i think i missed the post about it being dangerous kung long term tinatake?

anyway there's also a natural way to do it: virgin coconut oil with her milk (1ml lang per day) and honey syrup (half a teaspoon per day also). it's working naman :)

i♥

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:27 pm »

hehe... yup sabi din ng pedia niya na mas mabilis magkalaman kung may solid foods kaso lang kung ayaw ng bata, at hindi talaga mapipilit.. milk lang ng milk... hehe.. nagpareseta na nga rin ako ng appetite booster... ayun medyo umokey naman.. mas matakaw.. kaso napaka choosy talaga sa pagkain...

gabneth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:39 pm »

One way to encourage your child to have good eating habits is to provide a variety of foods.  his food preferences will develop as he gets to taste more kinds of food more often. according sa pedia ng mga kids ko. and avoid daw junk foods and softdrinks especially between meals and never allow your child to have them as main meal.

manang_biday

• baby damulag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:37:37 pm »

Mga mommies hindi kayo nag iisa, when my daughter was 4, napakahirap pakainin ng rice, kaya hindi rin siya tumataba, pag nakikita ni mister na super frustrated ako, sabi na lang niya lagi " hay pasasaan ba kakakain din yan paglaki" awa naman ng Diyos matakaw na rin siya ngayon kahit katamtaman lang katawan at super active. At least mahilig din sa fruits.

momi of lorian

• View Profile
    • http://lilypie.com/pic/080821/sBke.jpg
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:02:16 pm »

yung daughter ko rin humina sa milk niya (enfagrow LF) shes 3years old twice na lang sya drink nang milk niya paggising niya at bago magsleep pumayat talaga sya feeling ko nga rin ayaw na niya milk niya pinapaubus ko na nga lang gatas niya ngayon tapos ask ko pedia niya kong ano pwedi milk niya mahirap na rin sya ngayon pakainin nang rice....

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:55 pm »

Mosegor finally worked for my 5yo daughter but it took 3 months for me to see the result. My pedia said now I can alternate mosegor with her regular vitamins.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 04:55:09 pm »

Ask ko lang po kayong lahat na mommies & daddies, does your hard-to-feed child drink milk?
In our case po kasi, I stopped my 5yo daughter's mosegor intake kasi naka 3 mos na, after a month, she got sick and lost weight. Her sickness is not related naman po with the mosegor, panahon lang talaga ng sakit pag tagulan. So she lost weight and payatot nanaman.
I brought NIDO back to her diet as per her pedia's advice. She stopped drinking milk when she was 2&1/2 kasi and prefers the chocolate flavored. Since mahirap pakainin, we have to try all brands of choco drinks and settled for plain milo w/ water. Mababa lang daw pala ang milk content non. So against my daughter's will, I made her drink Nido again (dun kasi siya naging hiyang when she was 1 yo and started preferring choco when she was 2&1/2). What I did is mix it with NESQUICK (but I have to taste it to make sure it's yummy) or strawberry syrup to make pink milk. Sometimes I top it with small marshmallows or make her drink it in a fancy cup. Dapat talaga creative.
Alam niyo po ba, she gained her weight back fast. The weight she gained under mosegor for 3 months is equivalent to 3 weeks Nido therapy. Not only that, her appetite improved a great deal. Now she asks for before-bedtime snacks and big baons (dati 1 cupcake lang, hindi pa ubos).
I was very happy that I make her drink nido often. Our pedia told me to cut it down to 2 glasses lang a day and not more than 3 tbsp/glass kasi lumabas sa urinalysis nung bata, may protiens. Na sobrahan ko yata.
Just want to share this. Maybe it can work for you too. I use the nido regular (not the 5+).

honeyz_m

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 02:19:40 am »

hello mommies! im new here. my baby of 3 yr old is so thin. ive tried everything, from appebon, to  heraclene. last year i even switched to pediasure for a year, but still d pa din sya tumataba. last year she had a primary complex though it's been treated for 4 months. ask ko lang till how long dapat itake ang heraclene, before she's takin it twice a day, now once a day na lang. though naggain naman ang appetite niya. i want to try mosegor vita for her, effective ba talaga? she only ate pasta or rice. ive tried everything para lang talaga mapakain sya. gano ba dapat ang nakakain na niya by now na rice for every meal? please help me with this.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 05:51:45 pm »

^
Alam ko po 3 months lang ang heraclene. I used this also for my daughter. After 3 mos she got sick (not heraclene related) and lost her weight gain. Her pedia advised me to bring back milk into her diet. Hiyang siya sa nido but she doesn't like plain milk anymore so I mixed it nalang with nesquick choco and milo. She gained back the weight she lost in 3 weeks. If it's difficult to feed her, try small frequent feedings. It worked for my daughter.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:20:07 pm by Mommyjazz »

mama_dona

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 04:46:24 pm »

mga mommies, i have the same dilemma. my 4 yr. old eiah, is very choosy. puro taba ng pork, chicken skin,hotdogs and egg lang gusto kainin. as in super iyakan talaga sa pagpapakain. ayaw niya ng veggies at iba pang nutritious foods.
Pages: [1] 2 3