Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Torn between ASD and Developmental delay  (Read 25757 times)

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
Torn between ASD and Developmental delay
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:35:38 pm »

Hi! Im a newbie here..   Please2 mga sis take time to read my looong sharing regarding my worries... ;D
     My son was diagnosed with ASD when he was still 1.9 yrs old, as they say it was too early to be diagnosed as such.. I delivered him via C-section and he was just 8 months then..napilitan na akong iCS due to leaking of my waterbag, which i had twice, and also had spotting on my 5th month, had a fever too inbetween my 6th-7th month.. I was confined twice due to these complications, and so i wonder kung may effect ba lahat 'to sa son ko.. and now he is 2.7, He can't speak yet, communicates by gestures lang but there are times he can say "inom" or "mammam", "yaya" and other words i could just count with my fingers.. He's very sweet naman to me and his dad, or anyone na like niya.. i can see he knows naman a few logics, like water should be poured in the glass, he tries to reattach the wheels of his toy car pagnatatanggal, and other practical logics.. And he is really good in operating his ipad, which i was surprised.. He can point at his nose, kiss, hug, high five when asked.. He does imaginative play too, such as make patunog my tummy using his mouth, slide down in my kegs, piggy back ride, bulagga (peek-a-boo), and other related plays when shown to him..he knows such commands naman like, sitdown, stand.up, no, put on/take off shoes or tshirt or the like, he's very cooperative naman in his daily routines..But my concerns are, He can't seem to relate with other kids pero sa mga matatanda very affectionate sya..and it's very hard to teach him things coz u can't get his attention talaga., though u can really teach him a thing or two when he is interested in it.. He also loves cars, kahit marami cyang toys to play with he prefer his toy cars.. He is also a picky eater.. He only likes chicken nuggets for his ulam, lumpia or anything na crunchy pero pahirapan muna, he will check out first what will he be feeding with.. When we got here in manila, 6 months ago, he would eat anything na pero bumalik nanaman kami to crunchy foods lately..  I tried the GFCF diet nga as i heard much better daw for imrovement pero mahirap nga talaga coz he is a very picky eater plus pa it''s very hard to find GFCF foods coz not all the time naman u can just prepare food.. But i remeber naman when i was young, i was also a very picky eater.. I notice too that he likes to play with things that aren't supposed to be played with, oLike an alchohol bottle, cereal boxes, hairbrushes, etc.. He is the olny Apo (grandchild) in my side, which we reside and so he doesn't have any playmate.. We let him visit his cousins on his dad's side trice a week when he was already 1 plus year old coz there has been a conflict between my hubby and his mom kaya my son was a lone child in his developing stage.. We've been through doctors, such as neurodevs and have had tests like hearing and brain-wave thingy test which were all normal.. My latest nuerodev suggested that we see a devped cos she can see my son is ok naman.. So  he is now schooling with an inclusion program, which i prefer compared to an special child school, as so he would see the real world, the real environment and also undergoing OT once a week for 1 hour only.. He is doing fine with it, i saw a big improvement naman  But napapansin ko nagreregress siya whenever we go home to our province for vacation.. iniispoil kasi ng mga grandparents, laging pinagbibigyan, though i keep on pointing out my rules, they insist na pabayaan lang muna coz bata pa naman daw.. honestly can see signs of ASD, but many of my friends and relatives insist that he could only be delayed.. And so this is my two-way-road here na nga.. Many claim, my friends and based on my researches that there are cases like these also but eventually will be outgrown.. Thinking about the history of my pregnancy and my son's environment when he was still in his dev stage lead me to think also hecould only be delayed.. But he have a cousin, also a boy, which is only 2moths older , very bibbo na and talkative but he was full termed and the pregnancy of his mom was smooth..  with all these, i want to ask opinions and suggestions mga sissies.. I am really torn bout this.. I  :-[ :(heard also about biomedical therapy, chelation and the like na OK daw as to completely make an ASD child better.. I will greatly appreciate mga sissies any suggestions or opinions regarding my concern..  :)

ELENRN

• View Profile
Re: Torn between ASD and Developmental delay
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »

Hi Sis

Same age ang son natin. 1.9 y/o din siya nun pina evaluate ko sa DevPed kasi hindi pa din siya nakakapag salita compared sa iba na same age niya. During the evaluation expected ko na speech delay lang ang sasabihin ng DevPed pero na shocked ako when she said na nag sususpect siya ng Autism pero hindi pa rin niya na diagnose na Asd nga kasi its too early pa daw since nasa stage pa ng development ang son ko. Ang advise niya is 6 mos.Early Intevention for my son, and iaasess niya ulit after 6mos., pag natapos yun intervention. After 6mos. sa ibang DevPed ko siya dinala para 2nd opinion na rin. Nun 2nd evaluation ng son ko with his new DevPed ang Diagnosis is Communication Disorder. As of now my son is attending SPED class, malaki na rin ang improvement niya at madami na rin siya alam. He knows the alphabet, some numbers, colors and shape. But still hindi pa rin madaldal ang son ko, puro single word pa lang ang nasasabi hindi pa marunong in sentence. Sa nai share nyo na info regarding your son, parang DELAY din ang nakikita ko, kasi he can understand and follow instructions, baka need lang maimprove ang socialization. Na check na po ba ang son nyo ng DevPed? Mas mabuti po if ma asses siya para ma sure na Delay lang talaga. God Bless You and your family  :)

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »

Hi sis ELLENRN! Havent check p sa devped..nagpasched ako kay dr francis demalanta, who was highly recommended by moms of such concern pero march na daw vacancy e.. But nagpapacontact ako if ever my may cancel.. Who's ur devped sis? Or can u suggest anyone? I am eager to let my son be checked kasi asap but hirap ako maghanap ng good devped.. Baka nanaman hindi as reliable as nakikita ko sa mga forums, mamisdiagnosed again.. :( thank u sis for sharing din..  ;)

ELENRN

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 08:52:48 pm »

Sis,

Si Dr.Mark Reysio Cruz ng Capitol Med.Ctr. highly recommended siya. We are residing here in Calamba Laguna. My son's DevPed is Dr.Joel Lazaro, may clinic din siya sa Asian Hospital. Check nyo po yun thread ng Developmental Pediatrician, madami kayo makikita doon. Good Luck po :)

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:54 pm »

Thank u soo much sis! Ill definately will check them out to get an appointment, asap..  :) how old is ur son now sis?

ELENRN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:34:10 pm »

Your welcome sis.
My son is 2yrs. and 6mos. April 18, 2009 ko siya pinanganak. Hindi ko nga expected na maaga siya mag aaral.  :(
Anyway, I know that God is with us.  :)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »

Mahirap po talaga malaman is the child has mild autism or just developmentally delayed. Only a Dev Ped can assess that. Just to ease your worries a bit, we can't really say what caused it. If you had a mild accident or negligence during your pregnancy, we're not sure that this could be the cause. Many mommies experienced the same during their pregnancy but gave birth to healthy babies. On the other hand, there are mommies who were well cared for during their pregnancy, with no family history of autism in their family but gave birth to a special child.
You said you see signs of autism, what are those? If you've seen a neuro dev and she says he's OK, why would she suggest that you see a Dev Ped? If the neuro dev noticed something, she would have told you of her suspicion.
Here is a link to Dev ped directory in Metro Manila. Hope you can get a schedule soon/ Goodluck!
http://www.autismpinoy.com/Developmental%20Pediatricians%20-Metro%20Manila.html

eka1212

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 02:52:11 am »

sis.. baka development delay lang si baby.. my niece still can't speak and utter a single word.. she's  2 years old na.. pero she's very engaging to others at makulit.. sabe ng iba yung paternal side daw is may speaking dev delay kaya hanggang ngayon di pa siya nagsasalita she's turning three next year.. in june. 

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:25:04 am »

thanks mga sis for infos! Really appreciate it.. :) we will be meeting with dr dimalanta tomorow aftrnoon, hopefully, maOK na.. Whatever will be the result im ok naman with it..  :) ill be updating soon.. thanks mga sis!  :)

mommyjm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 01:34:30 pm »

thanks mga sis for infos! Really appreciate it.. :) we will be meeting with dr dimalanta tomorow aftrnoon, hopefully, maOK na.. Whatever will be the result im ok naman with it..  :) ill be updating soon.. thanks mga sis!  :)

Hi sis! Hope you can post an update on your session with Dr. Dimalanta. Waiting pa kami sa kanya e. My daughter kasi is 2 yrs and 2 months na but can't speak fully yet. Thanks!

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:29:11 pm »

Hi mga sis! Im soooo happy with the result of our assestment kay dr dimalanta! He's really good talaga! Though hindi talaga nagparticipate son ko he's really patient.. My son was not diagnosed as ASD as what our first assestment with neurodev kasi nga too early to tell pa daw and ok naman ibang fields of his development such as motor and gross, behavioral lang daw talaga problema, masyadong nabababy and he gets what he wants kaya ayaw sumunod kay doc kasi he have other idea nga daw on what to do and he just want to do it on his way! Naiispoil daw masyado..hehe.. Funny nga kasi top recommendation ni doc is "sundan na yan si baby mo asap!"! Haha! Para daw di na magrent ng kalaro, kasi nga he is undergoing playschool e! Hehe.. Tama nga naman! though patuloy lang daw Occupational therapy niya for his behavioral integregation.. He was even suprised by me kasi nga daw i know of such gfcf diet, vit suppliments etc, e kasi nga research ako ng research which he also said na i must stop na coz two sided nga daw talaga yung issue ng ASD..maloloka lang daw ako and mapaparanoid! Haha! He assured me that everything will be okay as long as ill follow his reccommendations regarding rules and regulations sa house.. I must be strict nga daw as to deliver him gradually his independence dapat stick to the rules kahit kay yaya! He recommended suppliments to me in regarding his issue na pagiging picky eater.. Well mga sis, so far so good naman! Hay naku,sayang ang stress ko nung kakainis na neuroped na un!!! So now mga sis, we are planning to get preggy na! hehe

ELENRN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 06:02:26 pm »

Hi Sis

Im happy for you and your son  :)  Buti na lang napa assess mo na siya.
Magaling talaga si Dr.Dimalanta.

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 09:01:44 pm »

thanks sis ELENRN! Twas a relief tlaga.. Though we really need to work hard para makacatch up talaga siya.. :) im planning to get preggy na as what dr said..dapat may kalaro n daw talaga siya..hehe..   ;D

eka1212

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 10:39:58 pm »

good for you sis... Minsan kasi nagging pilyo't pilya si baby pagnaiispoiled e... Pamangkin ko din sobrang spoiled. gusto nila sila nasusunod at ayaw nila makipaglaro sa iba kasi ayaw matalo. Pero sis ganda nga na sundan mo siya para may kalaro siya at makapag adjust. hehe.. Good for you sis.. congrats!

jp_gwaps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:55 pm »

thanks sis eka1212..  :) tama tlagang pag isa lang ang chikiting e revolve ang world sa kanya and he always gets what he wants..hehe.. Now nga planning na ako for next baby...hehe..  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3