Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget to check your email verification from info@smartparenting.com.ph

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: discriminated for being a single mom  (Read 11866 times)

littleBigmiss

• a Single Mom. a Friend. a Fighter
    • View Profile
discriminated for being a single mom
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:25 am »

hi mommies.. please post here any experience you might have on being discriminated for being a single mom..with micro blogging sites nowadays, it's easier to reach congresswomen & senators..maybe, just maybe they'd be able to hear our plight when i present proof..i know there's a law against discrimination against us but it still happens..

here's my story:

i have been discriminated in two interviews already..i am currently looking for work but i am very particular with the companies i apply to..sad to say, some of them are also particular..one told me that everything is okay - the result of my exams, my communication skills, my experience except that i'm a single mom and i shouldn't have my hopes high because it could be a major factor why i wouldn't be hired. the hr manager said they are a very conservative company and their president is a lay minister and she'd have a very hard time justifying her endorsing of me..

that was the first time i was discriminated at all..when i heard that, i felt like i was slapped..i couldn't function for a while..i am not a judgmental person..i always keep in mind that every face has a story so experiencing that is something of a shock to me..and then i was discriminated again - the president of another (different) company told me during an interview, "i like single parents because they are very hardworking..i just don't want them to get involved in not-so-ideal situations in the company (then looked intently at me)"..well, that was implied but discrimination nonetheless..

this is how some view us - when you're a single mom, you automatically earn a questionable character and that you are predisposed to do something wrong more than the average person..i feel really bad..i'll admit, until now i am still hurt for the way i was treated..

mommies, please share your experience..although, i wouldn't really wish for anyone to be discriminated but if you have been, please share the details..

anyway, happy valentine!  ;)

Read it on Smart Parenting.
Melissa Ricks on Learning to Love Yourself: 'It's a Long, Long Process'

Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/health/wellness/melissa-ricks-self-love-self-care-a00228-20190213?ref=parentchat

Get a chance to be invited to exclusive events or grab limited freebies from Smart Parenting and partner brands! Login to reply to this topic or share your tips in this forum. Invites are sent via email to selected forum members so be an active Parent Chatter!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:59:16 pm by Mommy Jazz »
Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all the things we can give to them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children. - Rosaleen Dickson

jealousygirl

• View Profile
Re: discriminated for being a single mom
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:02:23 am »

^ shoccks.. i feel so bad about it..haysssss...

enwei,,hindi ko pa naman na experience yun, and i hope that i wouldn't because i cant stand on it..
what company yun sis? pm mo naman sakin..  is it BPO industry?

as per this law under RA 8972

Sec. 7. Work Discrimination. - No employer shall discriminate against any solo parent employee with respect to terms and conditions of employment on account of his/her status.

For all i know sis you can compain that company,. if proven that they did that, mag f fine sila,, nabasa ko lang yun before... kung ako yun sis.. Mag rereklamo ko,,, ^^ sa congress,,,

littleBigmiss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:51 pm »

^yun nga gusto ko sanang makarating sa kinauukulan..para lang sana mas maging strict sa law, that they shouldn't be discriminating..ala na nga masyadong support from the govt ang single moms sobrang konti..yung benefits pa under solo parent act parang ma a avail mo lang yung iba if mahirap ka lang talaga..e kahit middle class ka, ang hirap pa rin..tapos ganyan pa bina brand ka ng society..wag na yung govt support kasi dito sa pinas mahirap na mangyari yun pero yung mga incidents naman sana na katulad ng nangyari sakin, sana wala..

hindi ko lang alam if masyado ako sensi..pero i don't think i should take this in stride...hindi dapat okay kahit kanino ang maapakan ang pagkatao or madiscriminate..

anyway sis, hindi BPO yung companies..multinational companies dito sa south (luzon)..akala ko pag family-owned yun medyo ma e expect mo na conservative..well kahit multinationals if run by conservatives (and apprently judgmental people) ganun din..

Whatever they grow up to be, they are still our children, and the one most important of all the things we can give to them is unconditional love. Not a love that depends on anything at all except that they are our children. - Rosaleen Dickson

Errych

• Global Moderator
  • Watch.Wait.Time will unfold & fulfill its purpose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »

I've been with my present Company for 5 years now. But we never discriminate single parents. During final interviews, I personally considers single parents because they are very motivated and passionate about their jobs. Maybe because they have to provide a decent living for their family. I have high respect for them.

ahyzeyuh

• im a good person,just keep on making bad decisions
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »

thats so mean.. kairita coz
im a single mom too-- and ayoko mangyari yan kahit kanino

so far im getting the Privilege and support of being one
just like when my mom and daughter was admitted to the hospital- im granted for a 2weeks leave

sana sis makahanap ka na ng work--
try mo kaya sumbong sa T3? maturuan lang ng leksyon ( sorry crazy ideas) ;)

littleBigmiss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:53:18 am »

@ mommy errych, thanks for people like you..sana marami pa katulad mo :)

@ mommy ahyzeyuh, thanks for the sympathy.. :) wag na lang isumbong..gusto ko lang maging aware mga mambabatas that these things happen..like si sen. pia, she's very accommodating sa twitter..if you tweet her with an issue and she finds it a worthwhile cause, she'll really act on it..pero so far mukha naman hindi rampant ang discrimination sa single moms..kasi mukhang ako lang pero that's a good thing..at least di naman pala marami na di discriminate..which made me think, baka naman ako me problem? haha! although ano ba naman dun e dinisclose ko lang naman na single mom ako..  :o

anyway, you're lucky to have an employer na okay.. 2-week leave - w.o.w *clap, clap*..i remember nung preggy ako and i had to be on bed rest for pre-term labor, ayun nag wowork pa rin ako..although in fairness naman sa dati ko employer, hindi rin naman nila ako pipilitin if sinabi kong ayaw ko mag work..plus naging maluwag naman sila sakin kahit papano when i was pregnant..

sana nga makanap nako work na okay.. and bago yun, sana yung next set of interviews hindi nako madiscriminate  ;D

lei101402

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »

sis we have the same problem.i am 30 pero nahihiya nako magapply because of being single.basta corporate parang madidiscriminate tulad natin.unlike sa bpo or call center walang discrimination

littleBigmiss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:55 am »

^sis ano nangyari sayo? if you would, please share the details..

i think me point ka rin - pag bpo or call center kasi lahat na ng personality meron and parang hindi sila masyadong sensitive sa mga ganitong bagay..unlike pag regular company, meron kasi silang "culture" na mine maintain and they would only hire people that would fit in that culture so medyo mapili sila to the point na discriminating na minsan..well, opinion ko lang naman yan..napaisip ako nung na mention mo yung bpo and call center..pero i think ganun na nga yun..  ;D

san ka pala affiliated ngayon sis? i mean, anong type ng company?

purple_girl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:44:09 am »

not all companies naman discriminate against single moms.  i'm working in a multinational company and during the interview i've told them my situation. they never took that against me naman. i've been with this company for 7 months na, and still counting, and i'm very happy with my decision to work here.

two_angels'_mom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 03:05:48 am »

the best ka talaga sis errych :)

hay kakalungkot pa rin makabasa ng ganito :(..meron nga di ba naging thread din dito sa sp teacher sya sa catholic school nun nabuntis sya out of wed lock she was terminated for grounds of immorality >:(..pero tama si sis purple_girl hindi naman nga lahat ng company would look down on single parents like us..ako din iv been to two different companies and i have told them during my interview of my situation and luckily they did not took it against me..dont despair sis makakahanap ka din ng work..hayaan mo na lang yung mga companies na nag-turn down sa yo coz they have lost as errych would termed it  "are very motivated and passionate" worker..pero tama dn tong ginawa mo to create this thread so that people would be aware that incidents like these are happening in our society.

briella

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 05:59:49 am »

Oh my! That is just so rude! Applying for jobs is very hard then at the end of the course, these is what you get. These companies are pathetic... and karma will easily join them kung ganyan sila kasasama.

I have high respects for single moms kasi they are very hard-working and they strive for the best to give their dependents the best life ever.

jealousygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:15:43 am »

@ sis little big miss.. pag BPO or Call Center kasi,db po usually americans ang owner. and sa country nila,they prioritize and their government, giving suports to the solo parent, kaya they are not discriminating single parents like us., eh dito po satin.. may law nga hindi mo naman alam kung ano ang mga sanctions for those who are not respecting the said law.. buti nalang here sa company namin, we are not discrimating solo parents.. karamihan nga rin single mom eh..siguro depende nga rin sa company as well..

Sana sis makahanap ka na ng work.. kaya mo yan sis,. goodluck..

littleBigmiss

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:05:53 am »

thanks mga sis for the encouragement! sana nga makahanap nako ng work soon..

and yes, i agree hindi lahat ng companies discriminating..in fact yung previous company ko when i told them na pregnant ako and ala ako balak magpakasal hindi naman nila ako finire..sabi nga ng sister ko swerte ko kasi di lahat ng companies would accept that..sa company kasi nila pag ganun, terminated kaagad..sad di ba?  :( my previous company was very supportive, hindi nabago ang workload - toxic pa rin - pero at least inallow nila ako ng super flexi time..and yung mga officemates ko supper supportive din..sayang nga lang i had to leave..

anyway, glad naman ako na hindi naman pala norm ang discrimination sa single moms..mukhang ako lang napuruhan e..but just as sis two_angels'_mom said, gusto ko rin maging aware ang mga tao na these things happen..if it happens to someone else, we have to do something..this should be unacceptable..pero since mukhang ako lang napuruhan, no action needed muna..  ;D but sa iba pa readers who might have had the same experience, pwedeng hindi sa work place, pwedeng sa kahit na ano situation, please share kasi if we let the right people know and they act on it, then mape prevent natin na maranasan ng iba yung naranasan natin..hindi rin biro ang madiscriminate ha, pakiramdam mo second class citizen ka..

still, thanks mga sis for posting, for the sympathy and the words of encouragement!  ;)

moi angels

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:26 am »

well... i haven't experienced this in the workplace... pero talagang nakakainis kapag nakakarinig ng ganito! lalo pa yung mga employers na tipong binibida pa na super conservative sila then it's against their 'values' etc but only to find out na mismong may-ari ng company or the CEOs eh may mga kalokohan din!  :P i've been in the BPO industry for quite some time na... yes wala silang discrimination but there are still people within the company na discriminating (eg. going for a promotion ka eh biglang mapupurnada kasi may issues of you not being able to render OT dahil solo parent ka...)

well, we solo parents get discriminated one way or another... have you ever experienced being introduced to people na biglang umiiba ang ihip ng hangin once sinabing solo parent ka? (well, they're not worth the friendship naman and even with your own relatives, minsan nangyayari ito... worse, icocompare ka pa sa iba!) or for those single moms who are back on the dating scene... hindi ba parang may invisible tag na 'easy-to-get' since single mom?  :-\

hindi biro maging solo parent! we should be proud!  8)

jadiejesslyn

• View Profile
    • Affordable Balloon Decors and Party Needs
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:32 pm »

in our office which is a BPO, sa male team mates ko mismo nanggaling, na single moms are most likely to be in a FuBu relationship, i'm a single mom and one of my team mate is a single mom as well, syempre major react kami. I  just think he's really stupid and ignorant kaya hinde ko na pinatulan, pero yung ka team mate ko na single mom, talagang hinde tinantanan yung topic and she's really pissed off. I just told the group that for me single moms are more mature na pag dating sa relationship and are most likely to enter in a serious relationship only.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:36:41 pm by jadiejesslyn »
Pages: [1] 2