Parent Chat

• May 20, 2019, 10:25:41 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Smart Parenting is giving away awesome prizes twice a month! No purchase necessary. Click here to find out.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Slings, carriers, wraps. Safe ba? How?  (Read 43386 times)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
Slings, carriers, wraps. Safe ba? How?
« on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:57 am »

Read it on Smart Parenting.
Our Ultimate Babywearing Guide! The Dos and Don'ts When You Decide to Use a Baby Carrier

Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/baby/babywearing-dos-and-donts-a00228-20190430?ref=parentchat

Here's a baby sling 'how-to' I made just for this group. My baby is 10 mos old. Please note that I don't sell sling. I'm just a happy user. Carriers also got advantages over slings but we'll discuss that next time.

1)First you always fix the 'flower' this is just spreading out the fabric in the ring to rid of twists that can make adjustments difficult. More of this is explained on your sling manual and video.

2)Make sure you know which side of the tail to pull. The upper side to adjust the inner rail and ...

3)the lower side to adjust the outer rail. You need not pull the middle part to make a deeper pocket. I'm making a pouch for a kangaroo carry.

4) Even if I'll do a front facing carry, I still need to fix the sides so the lapels will be neat.

5) And so here's my pouch

JC is already 10 mos and weights 10kg. He's outgrown the kangaroo so now I'll do a type which is also like the kangaroo but with his legs sticking out. This type of carry is not in the manual so I'll call it the "kuyakoy" carry.

6) Now I pull the corresponding railing (or side, or hem line) on the tail fabric to snug JC in place. I'm not carrying JC here. His weight is already inside the pouch, I'm just supporting his bottom with my arm while I'm still adjusting the sling. It's better to this this sitting down if you haven't the knack of it yet.

7) Make sure the bottom fabric is this high to ensure he's seated deep in the pouch.

This Kuyakoy carry can cause the back of baby's knee to have creases so I can't carry him like this for more than 30 mins, or until he starts moving uncomfortably. Danger here: When the baby suddenly stretch his legs out, he might fall off the pouch so you need 1 arm under the baby's arm and to his front for support. Only 1 arm is free. It may look like his knees are already pressed on his shoulder, but no. Only the pocket is deep to keep him secured. We do this kind of carry every morning to get some sun. He's already popular in the neighborhood. When in the mall, I put socks and shoes of course  ;) . Is he comfy? He doesn't complain.

You can use the tail to cover his head in case it starts to rain or if the sun's too hot. In most cases and for your comfort, you can just throw the tail behind your shoulder so you won't feel like Moses or Joseph.

Next time, I'll post about the side carry.

Get a chance to be invited to exclusive events or grab limited freebies from Smart Parenting and partner brands! Login to reply to this topic or share your tips in this forum. Invites are sent via email to selected forum members so be an active Parent Chatter!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:41:10 pm by Mommy Jazz »
Authored SP articles
Login or Register via PC or mobile to join this discussion!

she

• my boys
    • View Profile
Re: Slings vs. Carriers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:53:10 am »

wow...sobrang galing mo na nga mommy jazz at ng baby mo sa sling. pwede kangaroo carry din pa-demo...kasi di pa pwede kuyakoy carry sa baby ko eh. :D

myla217

• my julian
    • View Profile
    • MY Corner
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »

wow...the demo is really cool mommyjazz...
i've been wanting to get a sling for so long pero hesitated kasi parang it's not easy to use.  but the demo is so convincing and it's really cute to look at. kaso lang, i think my julian is too big and heavy for the sling na.  huh...might as well make another baby... ::) hehe...
check out MY Corner at: http://myla217.multiply.com/

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:19 pm »

pwede kangaroo carry din pa-demo...kasi di pa pwede kuyakoy carry sa baby ko eh. :D
Pareho lang po iyon, only you need to keep the baby's legs inside the pouch. He can do indian sit or with the soles of his feet clapped together. The video that came with your sling has this demo. Just see to it that his legs aren't too high that it's pressed on to his chest. Nasa tamang paghila lang yan ng tail. You can keep his arms out of the pouch so he won't feel so restrained and carry him around so he'll get entertained. I can't demo kangaroo because my baby's too big na. My baby started to get uncomfortable with the kangaroo carry when he turned 5 months.
wow...the demo is really cool mommyjazz...
i've been wanting to get a sling for so long pero hesitated kasi parang it's not easy to use.  but the demo is so convincing and it's really cute to look at. kaso lang, i think my julian is too big and heavy for the sling na.  huh...might as well make another baby... ::) hehe...
Consider the advantages and disadvantages of a sling over a carrier muna before buying. Slings are also expensive, some carriers are cheaper. Some also can't get to wear their slings right that they give up. It takes practice kasi. You can still use sling on your toddler just for fun. Toddlers can walk and don't need it, besides, their too heavy na. Sometimes Ate Julia gets jealous and wants to be carried too. She's 4.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:43:06 pm by Mommy Jazz »
Authored SP articles

mommy leah

• ~bulaga~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:15:15 pm »

Thank you soooo much mommy jazz!!!  ;D  I think practice lang talaga problem ko no??  :D  sige noel and I will be practicing it more often now.

btw, nice pics  ;D

myla217

• my julian
    • View Profile
    • MY Corner
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 07:29:09 am »

Thanks mommyjazz... now, i don't just want a baby sling.... i want a baby girl too.  ;D
check out MY Corner at: http://myla217.multiply.com/

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »

hmmm...hi mommies...at what age of the baby is it okay to start using a sling...?
Sorry if I have to answer this here. This is a much appropriate board than marketplace.
I started using the sling when my baby was 2 weeks old., I was even breastfeeding while I'm shopping. The sales ladies aren't aware I'm nursing under the sheet, it's so descreet kasi. The baby can even fall asleep in lying position after nursing. Now my baby is 11 mos, he's outgrown his carrier (the stitches are giving out, he's getting too heavy for it) but not the sling.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:44:24 pm by Mommy Jazz »
Authored SP articles

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:23:29 pm »

Sling can also be used as a seatbelt. In some restos, highchairs lack seatbelts. So there.

In another forum about travelling with a child, a mom got to use her sling as a pillow and blanket for her baby.

Update Nov 10, 2008:

When eating in a resto, make sure the high chair you put your baby has passed a safety standard for high chairs. The rubbermaid brand (used in jollibee and by many restos) and those in McDonald's are safe because it has wheels. The picture taken here (taken at Gourmet's Cafe at Tagaytay) was before my baby had an accident with Cabalen's high chair. We strapped him with my sling then he pushed the table in front of him falling backwards hitting his head on the floor. It was horrible. He was fine after a while, thank God. Til now I don't know if I should complain. Cabalen's high chairs are custom-made for the resto. It's just a high chair with armrest, no seatbelt and legs are too steep and straight. It has to be angled to prevent such accidents. I noticed that other restos have their own custom-made high chairs (like the one in the picture) which didn't undergo any standard inspection (if there's such). So please be aware of high chairs when eating out.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:48:07 pm by Mommyjazz »
Authored SP articles

gailey

• View Profile
    • Nappy Tales
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:45 pm »

i just recently bought our sling at indigomanila and was happy about it.

nag mall kami and attended a bday party na walang ka hassle hassle, im totally hands free and my Vierte was comfortable in it na nakatulog na sya habang namamasyal.

though di pa ako gaanong sanay mag switch from sitting position to feeding position.
nappytales.blogspot.com

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:22:29 pm »

Sling Side Carry

1)First you always fix the 'flower' this is just spreading out the fabric in the ring to rid of twists that can make adjustments difficult. More of this is explained on your sling manual and video.

2)Make sure you know which side of the tail to pull. The upper side to adjust the inner rail and ...

3) the lower side to adjust the outer rail. You need not pull the middle part to make a deeper pocket.

4) Position the pouch on your side and check if its deep enough for your baby.

5) Carry your baby on your side with your waist in-between his legs.

6) put the pouch of the sling behind him

7) spread the pouch all over his bottom

8 ) pull loose cloth for a snug fit

9) follow the hemline or railing of the loose cloth to know which side of the cloth to pull from the ring.

10) pull

11) perfect! This kind of carry however is not favored by all babies. My boy still likes the kangaroo and kuyakoy carry.

Ate gets jealous too.

Please note that I don't sell sling or do demo. I'm just a happy user.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:01:34 pm by Mommy Jazz »
Authored SP articles

otep

• kurt marti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:44:19 pm »

ilang months po ba bago pwede ilagay si baby sa sling? 6 weeks pa lang kasi si kurt :)

prettytrisha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 07:04:21 pm »

Nabasa ko yung sling pwede na sa newborn.

MommyJaz- Thank's for sharing info about the sling. I will definetly get one for my second baby. Lalo na lagi kaming on the go! You're the only who's able to convince me to use one ;)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 10:55:06 am »

I used sling on my baby from the time he's 2 weeks old. I was breastfeeding while shopping. pwede kasing pantakip yung tail ng cloth. I also put a pillow for him to lie on para flat siyang nakahiga. The place has to be airconditioned para hindi siya mainitan while sleeping in the sling. If it's your 1st time to use it, practice with a heavy doll muna. It takes practice to use a sling. Maraming naiinis and give up using it kasi mabusisi but very easy pag nakasanayan na.
Mas convenient ang carrier kasi you just drop the baby inside and go. Other family members can also carry the baby using the carrier. With the sling, you have to learn and practice kaya ako lang ang nakakabitbit ng baby using a sling. The sling however, can be used until the baby is too heavy for you to carry. The carrier is only upto when the baby reached a certain weight or age in months.
Authored SP articles

jet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 03:03:45 pm »

hi mommyjazz,

Thanks! I was not able to thank you then because I gave birth na, got busy with the baby then went back to work, got busy naman with work. But just the same, would like to thank you talaga. Tips were very useful. Im a happy sling user na. Kaya lang I purchased a different kind of sling, yung parang nakatahi na. Hindi ko magamit as blanket. But just the same it was very useful. It became part of my wardrobe. Thanks again...

And to all the mommies who are planning to use sling, mommy jazz is right. It just takes a lot of practice. Sometimes masakit sa back, but you just have to find a better position. And the pain is nothing compared to the bonding. Im a working mom, I do not have much opportunity to be with my children 24/7, bonding time with them is something that I always look forward to. And the sling is my way to bond with my bunso. I also noticed that my bunso is the most malambing. Ate and kuya are also malambing but bunso is more malambing. Am not sure if the sling has something to do with it kaya lang sya lang ang nag sling. Or is it because I can feel it more because mas malapit sya lagi sa akin?

thanks and goodluck mommies!

Mom Jet

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 01:34:40 pm »

Sometimes masakit sa back, but you just have to find a better position. And the pain is nothing compared to the bonding.
Mom Jet
The back pain can be minimized if the cloth is evenly distributed flat on your sides and back. I get more pain using the carrier actually. With a carrier, masakit agad sa shoulders and I've a tendency to slouch because of the baby's weight.
Authored SP articles
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8