Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget to check your email verification from info@smartparenting.com.ph

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 2nd Son, also with ASD  (Read 23242 times)

MissPychi

• View Profile
2nd Son, also with ASD
« on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:10 pm »

Hi Moms (and Dads),

I haven't been in this chat room/forum for quite sometime now (a few years)... I just want to vent out my frustration...

My 3rd child (youngest of 3 kids - boy 12.5, girl 6, boy 3.5 yr old) was just diagnosed by Dra. Jocelyn Eusebio to have ASD (mild), same with my eldest son...

He was first assessed by Dra. C. Malijan when he was 2 yrs & 9 months at that time.  I didn't go to Dra. Eusebio at that time because of the long waiting list.  Atat na ako, I can no longer wait for my son to get assessed since I have a gut feeling that his is not as normal as his sister, but not as "special" as his brother.

Dra Malijan's assessment just shows that he just seems to be delayed specially on the language side.. but still within the normal range.  We were asked to return after 6 months.  During this time, I decided to have my son started in OT and SP,  just in case - better safe than sorry.

We went back, but the result came back the same and this time, I was not able to get the formal assessment report despite 2 follow ups made... that prompted me to go back to Dra. Eusebio (6 months after)

When the formal diagnosis came, nagunaw na mundo ko... the first thing na pumasok sa utak ko...."daughter, I'm so sorry! So sorry that you have to take over the responsibility of taking care of your 2 brothers when the time comes na wala na kami ni Papa mo...".  It also crossed my mind na sana hindi ko na sila pinanganak sa mundong ito... ang sama kong ina, to let them grow up experiencing the difficulties of a person with ASD!

Now, I am just hoping, na sana, mag improve nalang si bunso, improve ng napakalaki to the point that he will almost be as normal as anyone of us... I can't say that I'm in denial, but I'm not also saying that I am not!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
Re: 2nd Son, also with ASD
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:58 pm »

Take it easy muna mommy. Pareho po kayo ng  case ni Sis riddermark. Autism is a spectrum, baka naman nasa outer shade lang si bunso. I don't believe na lahat ng may ASD are dependents for life.
Sumali sa mga usaping pang magulang. Magtanong at magbigay ng payo dito sa Parent Chat.

Kermy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

Question lang po Mspychi...

Do you think related sa vaccine yung autism nung 2 sons mo?

Errych

• Global Moderator
  • Watch.Wait.Time will unfold & fulfill its purpose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:03:43 pm »

I agree with mommyjazz. Early intervention is always the key. Good thing that your son is undergoing OT sessions now. Because our goal, as OTs, is to help your kid do his activities of daily living independently. Some kids that I know with asd are also gifted. So why not try helping your child discover his gift.  My prayers are with you mommy.  :)

MissPychi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:52:08 pm »

@Kermy
I can't say if vaccines played a part in turning my kids into the spectrum.  Although they did completed their vaccines.

@Errych
We stopped his OT and replaced it with 2X a week ABA.  The option provided was either 1X OT and 1X ABA or 2X ABA.  We opted for 2X ABA since mas sulit sa tingin namin.  But his current ST disagrees.  What happened was we have the ST and ABA Case manager meet nalang so that they can set same the goals for my son.  Nababagalan kasi ang ST niya sa development ng speech niya, although there is definitely improvement naman.  Btw, his ST disagreed that he was immediately labeled mild ASD by the doctor.  She didn't see anything wrong with him except maybe his limited exposure to language use.

Let's see after 6 month how this set up goes and we'll review the goals.

I'm feeling much better now since I am focusing and appreciating whatever milestone he was able to reach, at least kahit papano, may magandang development in such a short period of time.  My next concern is where to enroll him next school year.... traditional school or montessori type school... he had his nursery at traditoonal school...

NanaylovesAJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:50:12 am »

Hi guys.. sorry offtopic... what' s ABA? what's the diff between OT and ABA?

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:05 am »

Sumali sa mga usaping pang magulang. Magtanong at magbigay ng payo dito sa Parent Chat.

riddermark

• back to my old name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:07:21 pm »

just saw this. thanks for mentioning me mommy jazz.

as what some of you here already know, i was also devastated when my youngest also cannot communicate nor have meaningful words at age 2. he was also seen by our devpedia and initially diagnosed him with T/C ASD. I didnt mind the first2 letters, i only focused on ASD. that's when i started telling/sharing that i have not just 1 kid with ASD. the youngest has better eye contact so she said we pray he'll do good on his therapies...which he did! we only had a month session of OT and he was good to go for Speechtherapy. though his OT released him his doctor however thought otherwise, he needs some behavior therapy (which until now we're not able to get him one - OT said it's no longer under his care).  youngest is continuously improving with 1/wk speechtherapy and schooling. second assessment no longer says he has ASD (at least not written). doctor only verbalized that he is on the lighter shade of the spectrum since he still shows some behaviors and mannerisms similar to that having autism.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
God created little boys for He knew that there should be lots of love and happiness added to a family.

MissPychi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 05:02:35 pm »

Hi riddermark,

Your story gave me hope!  Sana si bunso din ganun.  He has good eye contact naman din and can ask for what he wants - "drink water", "mama higa", "mmmm, sarap!", "di pwede", "hinge", ... limited lang ang usage and understanding ng language, which also means he still cannot tell us "stories".

... KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED!!!

riddermark

• back to my old name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:48 pm »

he is still delayed in some aspects most esp speech. though he can communicate what he wants but still very much delayed. phrases pa lang not sentence but at least.  he learns faster than kuya of course, yun nga lang i can still see some signs and his behavior talaga ay to watch for.   cant focus kasi active - hyper daw sabi ni doctora which others say usual kakulitan lang ng toddler.

the improvement came about when we enrolled him in a playschool. though it took him a quarter for us to see the big improvement in terms of speech. he is still echolalic, and behaviors that need to be addressed talaga but we dont go to OT na so ... we'll see.  transitioning him to traditional preschool na. he is very playful, such a baby pa daw. though he could get the lessons yun nga lang i still have to find out his learning style.

good luck to us!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
God created little boys for He knew that there should be lots of love and happiness added to a family.

MissPychi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:44 pm »

... for the past few weeks/month, I've seen improvement kay son.  He is now more madaldal and he seems to be asking appropriate questions narin.

last night, I was trying to have him shower before bedtime, but nagta-tantrums siya.  What I did I called up his papa (kasi takot siya dun) and let him hear his voice na pinagsasabihan siya to stop.... he mellowed down after, then he said, "mama, ayaw ni papa?" while looking straight at me... his question shocked me.  This is the first time I heard him say something in complete sentence like this.... this brought tears to my eyes, I didn't let him see it, and I just continue to explain why ayaw ni papa...  some more speech continued until the evening before siya natulog... he is in a happy mood na during that time at he continues his "talk" pa after...

...sana tuloy tuloy na ito....

MissPychi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »

Bunso will be having his follow-up check up with Dra. Eusebio this month... I'm both dreading and at the same time hoping the best doon sa magiging result...  :-\

...dreading na baka na baka sabihing walang improvement... or very little improvement, therefore, mild asd pa rin - baka mataas ang magiging expectation ni doc sa kanya
...hoping the best that his chances to improve is malaki... meaning in a few months time, he can be as normal as any kid his age can be... hope we can get more info on how to help him improve more...

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »

Pero sis hndi naman sya echolalic?

MissPychi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:44:09 pm »

hi darna88,

...he is (or was) echolalic.  but naka move-on na siya sa stage na yun... but he still repeats phrases or question which he usually hears from us, just out of the blue, not during the time when we are asking him.

...actually, them more I read about mild asd on-line, the more convinced i am that he really has mild asd... nasa denial stage pa rin ako...  :'(  hirap talaga tanggapin.

riddermark

• back to my old name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:44:02 am »

been a long time since i visited SP again. hi mommies MissPychi and darna88! 

i'm a bit sad and disappointed today. i accompanied my 2nd son to school to learn that he's showing behaviors that might caught the owner's attention...sana hindi naman ganon kasi sort of katigasan ng ulo lang. sometimes he doesnt want to sit tapos na gaya niya ata isang classmate from the old school, humihiga sa sahig. im thinking he's just not into it.. sa activity na ginagawa. baka hindi masyado enticing sa kanya wala syang gana. play school kasi sya before e kaya medyo lax. defiant na rin sya ngayon doesnt want to follow or kapag challenged or napagalitan mas lalong hindi gagawin yung pinapagawa mo.

pano kaya i handle itO?  i was optimistic pa naman we wont go being having mild autism kasi di naman sya properly Dx. verbal lang yung comment ng doctor about him might having mild autism. i really think he's not pero sa behavior na pinapakita at dahil delayed speech pa sya .... oh well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4