Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do you allow your son/daughter to use facebook?  (Read 7310 times)

annie0312

• View Profile
Do you allow your son/daughter to use facebook?
« on: April 04, 2014, 07:19:10 pm »

My daughter had facebook before (actually hindi ako or sya ang gumawa nun, yung aunt niya). Then, last year, I decided to deactivate her facebook, change its password kasi my nakaaway sya sa fb.  I let her use my facebook account. She added her classmates and friends there kaya parang updated pa din sya sa mga nangyayari.  Now, she's asking me kung puwede na daw niya gamitin yung fb niya. Sabi ko na lang nakalimutan ko na yung password.

My questions are;
Am I too strict for not allowing her to have facebook?
Did I invade her privacy?  (Use my facebook instead of hers.)
Do you allow your son/daughter to use facebook?

Mod's note:
Think You Know What Your Kids Are Doing Online? Think Again

Read it on Smart Parenting. Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/tweens-teens/think-you-know-what-your-kids-are-doing-online-think-again-a1730-20180120/color]

Get a chance to be invited to exclusive events or grab limited freebies from Smart Parenting and partner brands! Login to reply to this topic or share your tips in this forum. Invites are sent via email to selected forum members so be an active Parent Chatter!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 12:34:03 pm by Parentchat Admin »
The best thing a father can do for his chlidren is to love their mother.

vmjanne

• View Profile
Re: Do you allow your son/daughter to use facebook?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 07:33:47 am »

It depends on how old you daugther is. My nephews are allowed to use facebook for the purpose of playing games with their cousins and communicating with grandfather who lives abroad. They are 5, 7,8, 9 and 11 respectively. They younger ones have strict supervision of the number of times they can use facebook (example greeting relatives during their birthday, playing games, posting their pictures they took) They older ones have a bit of leeway into using facebook. We were added in FB as well so we can see what they post and their parents are constant monitors too.

I suggest to set privacy settings on the FB account. Strict monitoring muna if you allow her again to use FB since she already had a cyber fight. We have to be wary of cyber bullying na rin. Instill to the child the importance of ""Thinking before clicking"" to avoid any more arguments. Better walk the talk na rin. We are the best example the child can have.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 01:31:27 pm »

Facebook policy is users has to be 13 years old and over. My daughter is under 13 and I still allowed her. Magka-connect kami sa FB so I can track what sh'es posting.

annamariemomof3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 06:07:51 am »

my son is 10 and i do allow him to use fb for games and communicate with his classmates. but i did change the privacy settings and removed the geotagging on all of our gadgets. only post pictures after the fact and not while we are there. he is not allowed to post anything without my permission and told him that he shouldn't read the posts too. he does not seem to mind or care about the close monitoring as long as he gets to play.

annie0312

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 04:05:02 pm »

My daughter is 10 years old today. I let her use her  facebook since its her birthday. She likes taking pictures of herself (selfie), but I told her not to overdo it. I know naman her friends, and most of them are my friends too. I think I will allow her for this summer but in limited time only, like 30 mins-1 hr. a day. I don't want to be strict kasi pag lalung pinaghigpitan baka mag rebelde.

I've noticed most of her friends(tweens) like posting. Minsan may maipost lang na status and selfie nila. Puro sila na nga lang nakikita ko sa newsfeed ko eh, and I got irritated. I don't want my daughter to do that, that's why I unfollow them para hindi niya magaya. I always tell her not to post basta-basta. I will monitor na lang siguro. Iba na siguro mga kabataan ngayon.Minsan wala ng self control which leads to wrong decision making. And I don't want t my daughter to be like that.

☆♥♡unica hija☆♥♡

• Joshua - the only man constant in my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »

my son is 11 and has a facebook account for 4 years already. We are facebook "friends" and his so are his fb friends. So I can actually monitor them. :)
[move]

mariann

• enjoying motherhood to micah and iza
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:42:52 pm »

I have once created a Facebook account for my then 7-year old daughter (now 10 yrs old).  Then she began having friend invites from my list of friends which I have strictly supervised.  Unfortunately, some of these friends of mine who belong to a much younger generation from me (some were sons/daughters of friends) were posting lewd and obscene posts.  So I decided to deactivate the account.

Now I'm also in dilemma whether to activate her account or create another one and limit her friends to her classmates and cousins. She's currently using my account to communicate with relatives and family friends. Besides, she's not into social media. I guess I'll just have to wait until she finish elementary.
mariann[move]

Mommy Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 02:25:37 pm »

my eldest, who just turned 9 asked me if he can have his own FB account next year when he turns 10.
honestly, medyo hesitant pa rin ako, pero he told me naman na he'll access it during weekends lang para he can still talk and play games with his classmates.

we talked about it and, we came up with an agreement (still a work in progress):
1. i get to set up his account
2. i'll be the one to give him his password and his own email address
3. he can access his FB account when i'm around - even with the grandparents around no-no yun. dapat either ako or his daddy ang present.

so far yun pa lang naman. but we'll see. baka next year di na rin siya ganun ka-interested and a new social networking site will be there na.

HOTMOM777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:16:23 am »

My daughter is 10yrs old. She's been bugging me to have an FB account since most of her classmates (then and now) have their own FB account.  My husband and I explained to her the pro's and con's of having a FB account. One of the things we highlighted on her is the information she might see.  Although her profile will be restricted, others (esp perverts, pedophiles, et al) have made their accounts public..so eventhough they are not added as friends they can still be seen on her news feed. Most of the things they post are for adults eyes only.  So with proper explanation and honesty she  didn't insist after that. She did insist on having us log in to our own account so she could play the games 😊
People are like stained-glass windows.  They sparkle and shine not when the sun is out, but when darkness sets in.  Their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within - ELISABETH KUBLER - ROSS

Mom42

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 02:05:02 pm »

Hello Mommies, my daughter is 14 yo, she has a FB but recently I grounded her to open her account due to her study concerns and also hindi ko na gusto yung nagiging topics ng iba FB friends niya....
Most of her friends are really addicted in some boy band groups which they called EXO and for me it's already disturbing...also hindi maiiwasan yung mga topics about crushes etc which I know normal pero may oras na para bang OA na talaga yung usapan na bilang magulang maiinis ka talaga....

annie0312

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 05:55:51 pm »

My daughter cannot open her fb anymore. Kaya ngayon nakikigamit nalang sya ng fb ko. Bali shared fb kame. Inaad niya yung mga classmates niya. So i decided to delete some random people para narin sa kapakanan ng anak ko. yung mga family and close friends ko lang talaga ang tinira ko. From 500+ to 170+ friends na lang. Happy and relieved ako ever since. I dont have to worry kung my mabasa ba sya na hindi maganda or makita na hindi kakila.

MaritheMom

• A happy wife runs a happy home :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:22:54 am »

May fb acct ang tweener ko, his school and some teachers use fb too to make same updates or emergency announcements. Mga classmates niya rin pag may mga assignments BUT i know his password and his acct is connected to my mobile phone number so I'll know everytime he uses it. He asked me once about having his privacy on the use of his fb, i told him when his old enough to discern things he'll know/learn from using fb or the internat mismo. Before, i gave him total freedom but once I accidentally read some of his conversations with his classmates and I was in shock to learn na at this age there are things they are starting to be curious of,, (alam na mga sis kung about what ;-))? That prompted me to talk to him and remind him na there are things importantly asked from parents rather than asking his peers or using the internet to know... In time, I'll stop 'spying' ..but not now.
Create happy memories with our kids, its one of the things we'll leave with them, their happy childhood :)

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:10 am »

Di mapigilan, All her friends do, tweeter din. I just told her not to give her real name and make sure the computer is at a common area at home para I can monitor.

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Parentchat Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »

Judy Ann Santos Doesn't Allow Yohan to Have a Social Media Account for This Simple Reason

Click this link:
https://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/real-parenting/judy-ann-santos-yohan-social-media-a00228-20190405?ref=parentchat