Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newborn yaya duties - fair or unfair?  (Read 13816 times)

jambamama

• View Profile
Newborn yaya duties - fair or unfair?
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »

Hi Guys, Im a new mom, wondering if what I'm asking my yaya to do is fair?

My baby is 3 months old, she started working with us since he was 4 weeks. So she's been with us for about 8 weeks already. I pay her 6,000 per month, and she gets 1 day off which is 24 hrs per month (IE: Leave 8AM Saturday, come back 8AM Sunday) plus another daytime off sometime during the month (4 to 8 hours off during the day in case she wants to go shopping or something)

Anyway, at night, my baby sleeps in our room, and yaya sleeps in the nursery in a folding matress. If he requires a feeding at 2AM or 3AM or 4AM, I call her using a wireless doorbell which rings in the nursery. Sometimes, If im already up because I finished pumping milk, i will just do the feeding myself. She is also in charge of doing everything baby related - changing diapers, bathing, feeding, making kalong day and night.

Of course, when my husband and I are home, we hangout with the baby - cumulative time of about 4 hours, aside from when he sleeps with us at night.
We also have another maid who can relieve the yaya to watch baby for 30-60mins at a time while yaya eats, bathes, etc.

Is this too much for the yaya? Or is it what I pay her to do? I heard her complain to my mom's maid, that she hates the wireless doorbell. She also complained that one time when my husband and I went to SM to shop for baby stuff, and supermarket, we took 4 hours and she was home alone with baby (the other maid was on dayoff) and she couldnt pee or take a bath because the baby wasnt sleeping.

Part of me thinks she might be a bit overworked cuz her eyebags are big, but another part of me thinks its her job naman and shes getting paid to do it. We agreed when I hired her, that her sleeping sched would be same as baby's sleeping sched, and be ready to get puyat. and she said YES.

Now that baby is 3 months old, he has been sleeping through the night - he sleeps at 11PM and wakes up at around 430AM for 10min feeding (I do this myself most of the time) then sleeps til 8AM where he eats for another 10 mins (I call her to do this) she is sleeping til 10AM

Title modified to remove all caps.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:18:19 am by Mrs. Anderson »

ahyzeyuh

• im a good person,just keep on making bad decisions
    • View Profile
Re: NEWBORN yaya duties - fair or unfair?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:05 pm »

few points lang siguro sis, ang alam ko kc the kasambahay should have a weekly off.

about her task about not having enough sleep, enough time for her self kailangan niyo siguro pa intindi sa yaya yun. since baby pa nga , kailangan talaga tutukan ang bata.

if hindi naman siya all around yaya, malaki na nga yung sweldo niya.
kami sa house, 4years ago, pasweldo ko sa yaya starting is 2,500 lang, then naging 3K.

sometimes ganon talaga , hindi maiwasang nagcocomplain ang kasambahay. madami o kunting work man yan, they always have reasons. kahit anong klasing work, hindi talaga maiwasang nagrereklamo ang employee.

Caddin

• View Profile
    • Mommy's Lullabies
Re: NEWBORN yaya duties - fair or unfair?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:53:49 pm »

based on what you wrote above, I think she is paid more than enough. my son's yaya was doing more. but better allow her to have weekly off. I wasn't surprised that she hates the bell:) but that is because her sleep was disturbed.

jambamama

• View Profile
Re: Newborn yaya duties - fair or unfair?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 02:22:10 pm »

Yes, during her interivew she said she knows she has to be awake when baby is awake, and she knows that baby wakes up every 2-4 hours around the clock... so medyo na-asar ako when she is complaining she has to wake up in the middle of the night, when thats part of the job description.

Also about the day offs - she said her family is in mindanao and has nowhere to go for dayoff, kaya OK lang sakanya kung 1 day (24 hours) off per month specially since baby is still newborn (siguro kung 8-12 months na si baby and meron na syang easy schedule she can go on off more every other week for more than 24 horus)

anyway, just wanted to see if what im making her do is within the norm of what a yaya is expected to do
thanks

strawberryjewel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 02:29:36 am »

Hi. My baby's not born yet but I grew up having my own yaya til I was 12 years old and I'm currently staying with my sister and her 2 year old son who also has a yaya, so I know a lot about these things. Our yaya does ALL the household chores and takes care of my nephew all day since he was 2 months old (bathing, feeding, hele, karga whenever needed). She's being paid 3k a month and only gets a once a month vacation.
In my opinion, your yaya doesn't have the right to complain 'coz she's overpaid naman. And like you said, she knows what to expect before she started working so wth is her problem? Hehe. She's even lucky to have a reliever most of the time kasi 'yung yaya sa amin does everything on her own. She should even be thankful na baby lang ang duty niya and household chores are not included. And even though her sleep is often times nasisira because you ring in the wee hours of the night, may compensation naman po sa kanyang pay kaya I don't think na she has the right to make reklamo. You probably should talk to her and show her who's boss. Hehe.  Whenever our household helper or yaya kasi ay nagiinarte my mom or my sister scolds her right away and the complaining stops tapos mas pinagbubutihan ang work. Be careful not to be too harsh though, we've encountered 'JUDAS-ES' before who makes ganti to your child when you're not looking cause they're mad at you for so much utos or pinapagawa. I guess all I'm saying is be nice at the same time authoritative so she knows her place :) Have a nice day!
"Do not fear for the Lord is with you."

annamariemomof3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:46:01 pm »

Yes I do agree that she is well compensated. But before we over react we should at least have all he facts first. Baka naman kasi Hindi naman as in complain yung sa kanya Kung di nagkukuwento lang na puyat siya o nagugulat sa bell. Even us moms naman no matter how much we love our kids we still sometimes get cranky lalo na if sleep deprived. As long as she is doing her job no worries na. The best thing is to talk to her directly but don't be condescending kasi di ba yayas are part of our family since they spend more time with our kids than we do. This is just probably a misunderstanding that does not need to be blown out of proportion.

didi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »

Uy, spoiled naman yung yaya mo!  My newborn yaya used to be with my baby 24/7 kasi my husband refuses to let the baby sleep in our room, maiinterupt daw sleep niya.
My yaya does everything baby related - clean the baby's room/bathroom, wash/launder baby clothes, feed the baby, put the baby to sleep.  She has 2 day offs na balikan.

Yung yaya mo, she can sleep soundly at night, except when you need her and that's it.

Grabe naman ang pag-complain ha..  She sleeps naman when the baby is asleep diba?

Maybe you can take out the doorbell if it pisses her off - and instead miss call her cellphone?  Whatchathink??

Ma Dianne Serrano

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 07:20:02 am »

I think this is unfair. She should have a day off once a week, hindi once a month lang. She should sleep at least straight 8 hours a day. I understand you are a working mom pero it's unfair kung nagriring ka pa sa nursery sa gabi to wake her up para ifeed si baby. Kahit gaano kalaki ang sweldo ni yaya, she should have enough sleep and rest dahil she's just working for you. Ang dapat na nagsasacrifice ng tulog para kay baby ay yung mommy para magkaron din kayo ng mas mahabang bonding ni baby. Sa amin nga mas mahaba pa tulog ni yaya. Meron din kaming maid para sa bahay kaya assistant ko lang talaga si yaya. Sa opinion ko lang naman, mukang hindi.fair yan kay yaya. Dapat you help her din..kase sa umaga sya na nga so dapat sa gabi ikaw naman. Dapat ituring mo din syang family.member mo. Mabuti at mabait ang yaya mo. Maswerte ka na sakanya. Talagang dapat lang na magreklamo sya. Hehe.

Lorna Arbasto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:19:37 am »

That's fines mommy kasi ako noon ako din lahat gumagawa (papatulog, bath,  lahat ng work for baby newborn as baby sitter) As of now okay lang yung once 1 month off kasi weeks palang c baby need talaga more alaga...and depende din yun sa schedule ninyo for example my lakad kayo on weekend na dapat kasama siya.. And she agreed naman... Kausapin mo nalang mommy ng maayos.. If okay pa ba siya if not find a new yaya nalang if she's still complaining about her works.. Now i have my own child 5 weeks old, excusively pumping no yaya pamangkin lang ng hasband ko na pwedeng mautusan..  Still looking for caring and honest yaya.. Need to go back to work this month.. Goodluck mommy 😊