Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Don't forget to check your email verification from info@smartparenting.com.ph

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: slow learner? Learning disability?  (Read 13985 times)

toughmom moderator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: slow learner?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:14 am »

We know several bright, lively children who seem unable to focus in school and are turning in unsatisfactory grades. We also know kids who seem to excel in one subject, say English, but are unable to perform well in others, like Math. Based on research, this is largely due to a child’s brain pillars. 
BrainFit was initially intended for children with learning disabilities, such as ADHD, dyslexia, autism, who really struggle.
“Thirty percent of our students come to us with a learning disability. The other 70 percent don’t necessarily have a similar diagnosis, but they don’t enjoy school so much. And we cater to all of them because really, brain fitness is for everyone.”

BrainFit Studio: Fit Brains Learn Better

Smartparenting.com.ph visits the newly opened BrainFit Studio and shares with you the benefits of optimizing the capacity of your child’s brain pillars.

http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/preschooler/development-child-care/brainfit-studio-fit-brains-learn-better/page/1

jo1

• View Profile
Re: help for my "slow learner" nephew...pls.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »

Na check nyo na ba yung www.starfall.com website? It's the best start to teach the kids their basics.  Allot a few minutes for them to watch and learn from that site everyday. Then mag follow up lang kayo ng iba pang teaching materials, para ma sustain ang interes nila sa pag-aaral.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this tip - i love the site! Susubukan ko to sa anak ko... i've a pretty good feeling he'll like it...

toughmom moderator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: slow learner? Learning disability?
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 01:35:29 am »

Learning Disability: What it is, Signs to Watch Out For and What Parents Can Do About It

A learning disability (LD) is a neurological disorder that affects the ability to understand, use oral or written language, or answer mathematical problems. The brain functions of a learning-disabled person are altered, hence affecting the brain’s “wiring” altogether.

more here:
http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/kids/big-kids/learning-disability-what-it-is-signs-to-watch-out-for-and-what-parents-can-do-about-it

swtgrl_bee

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 07:48:23 am »

I love this topic. And to TS kudos to you sis :) Sa sipag, tiyaga and love mo sa pamangkin mo.

Ako din sa call center nagwowork, na may nakakalokang schedule, as in every month nagpapalit ng time and RD. Two years old na ang anak ko, hindi ako masipag magturo aminado ako, pero talagang ginagawan ko ng paraan ang katamaran ko na yun :D Since stop na Summer Toddler Class niya, kami naman ngayon ang Teacher-Student drama. No pressure din, more on play. Mahilig siya mag sing and dance so dun focus namin, pati writing and drawing. Nakakatulong din sa self esteem ng anak ko na kahit hindi kamukha ni Baby Bop or BJ ang drawing niya eh may commendation siya sa akin :)

Last May 25 yung last day nila sa class, so this week naisip ko pahinga muna siya. Come payday tomorrow bibili ako ng materials na ginamit din niya from her summer class, painting materials like Watercolors, set of brush, white Cartolina. Nakakaexcite :)

xoxo B1B2 :))

KVsmommy

• Living a full life as a WAHMmy. :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 12:47:54 pm »

sis marissa_abellardo: your pamangkins are blessed to have you, na nagtitiyaga magturo at manigurado about their learning progress. :) I remember my cousin din who's a pre-school teacher, when we were younger dahil working mom yung mommy ko, sya talaga yung napakatiyagang magturo sa youngest brother ko - and he's now in college and averaging grades of 1.5 and above, really impressive. Ang layo na lang niya sa min kaya hindi ko mapaturuan yung daughter ko. hehe. :)

you mentioned sis na aside from school, may academics tutor sila tapos may kumon pa? POV ko lang sis ha, baka natotoxic na yung 5 year-old nephew mo. Kahit ako binabasa ko pa lang natotoxican na ko. :) When I was still in school, wala kaming tutors, kanya-kanyang aral, pero yun pa lang nakakapressure na. What more if you have two (or more!) adults to deal with after school pa? That's not easy at all. Kumon may not be the ideal reinforcement for him, toxic kasi ata yun sa take-home work eh. The parent may want to consider some other method for him. :)

I suggest positive reinforcement palagi sis. As genuine praises, all smiles and full energy ang delivery para feel na feel ng kiddos. :) Pag may times na you feel na nafrufrustrate ka dahil mabagal ang pacing niya when you're teaching him, go out saglit, get some air, and then balikan mo sya. Nararamdaman kasi ng kids pag nafrufrustrate tayo eh, and they take it to heart.

Talk to the parents of your nephew din sis, baka kasi paguwi nila sa house, nagkakaroon ng comparisons between him and the other sibling. That also greatly affects a child's self-esteem. Letting him know he's 'lagging behind' because the other person is better is NOT the way to reinforce learning. :)

My daughter is only three, and I admit, wala as in wala akong patience for teaching. So when I feel na naiinis ako kasi di sya nakikinig or distracted sya when I 'm teaching her, I really stop and leave the room for a moment. :) Or I resort to online educational sites which she really finds enjoyable, kasali na dun ang Starfall.com! :D I love that site, been 'playing' with her there since she was 2. :D We also use games sa Nickjr. site kasi yun ang mga kilala nyang characters, and I particularly love the Team Umizoomi games kasi they teach shapes and numbers. :D

toughmom moderator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59:07 pm »

“We are all born with the capacity for the 7 types of Multiple Intelligences- self, people, picture, logic, music, body, and word, but certain intelligences develop in different ways, and some at certain points of a child’s life,”  Dr. Armstrong explained.

The Multiple Intelligence Theory and How Kids Learn

http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/kids/preschooler/multiple-intelligence-theory-and-how-kids-learn

toughmom moderator

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »

"If we're going to give praise, we must praise the effort not the result."
-Mai Danganan

‘Good Job!’: How Proper Encouragement Raises Kids’ Confidence
http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/parenting/pinoy-parenting/-good-job-how-proper-encouragement-raises-confident-kids/page/2

Mommy Jazz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Jazer Basan for Smart Parenting
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 12:24:23 pm »

Teachers want to know about family issues to better tend to the needs of the child when he’s at school, especially if it has the potential to hugely affect the behavior of your child.

http://www.smartparenting.com.ph/kids/preschooler/teachers-want-to-know-about-your-problems-at-home-says-study
Sumali sa mga usaping pang magulang. Magtanong at magbigay ng payo dito sa Parent Chat.
Pages: 1 [2]