Parent Chat

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: communicating with kids in english  (Read 117771 times)

YANCY&SOPHIE'Snanay

• I LOVE YOU NEY AND SKY...LET NO ONE HURT US.
    • View Profile
Re: communicating with kids in english
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

I remember this story shared by a former boss:  They were having dinner with the grandparents and his son asked for water.  My former boss asked the househelp for "Malamig na tubig" and his son piped in "Daddy, what's malamig?"  I also thought of raising my daughter with the English language as the primary language and Filipino as the secondary one.  But, I've realized "Why should my native language be second place only?" 

Seven years later, my daughter can speak Filipino fluently.  She knows words like magaspang, makipot, makitid, marupok, matumal.  She knows what's a kulisap and a guyam.  And her grade in in her English subject is 92. I can speak to her in English and she can understand me.  What's important is how they use the language and the words they will use - whether it's English, Filipino, a dialect - what have you. 

mOmielle

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2012, 03:40:35 pm »

It is better to teach kids to speak both languages. Don't restrict them in using english only. It is easier to teach kids to speak english rather than to teach them filipino kapag hindi na nasanay. As the saying goes "mahirap ituwid ang dilang baluktot"  8) Nakakaawa ang kids na hindi marunong magtagalog pero nakatira naman sa Pilipinas nakaka affect din yan sa school nila.

Anne Mercado

• View Profile
    • Green Eggs & Moms
« Reply #227 on: May 03, 2012, 08:44:38 pm »

@ashli - it depends on the kids although most of my friends tell me na they wish they allowed their kids to speak in tagalog kasi nahirapan talaga in school.

Me kasi, I wasn't allowed to speak in tagalog when I was young but I didn't have problems learning it in school. Pero that;s just me, it can be different for other kids. So it's really up to your kid - you know him/her best and will be able to tell if mabilis siya matuto.
my take on parenting: http://greeneggsandmoms.com

bh3bz8

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 05, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »

Hi po mga sis im a new mom and newbie here i have silly question po sa mga moms dito na nag english parati paano mo sasabihin sa isang bata na tumalikod ka or talikod in english? Funny noh pero sana po may sumagot :D

Mommy France

• Lucky to be loved by 2 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 05, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »

Sis, pwede mong sabihin na "turn around", "look away" or "look at the [kung ano man yung nasa likod niya]".
Weird naman kasi kung "about face!" :D
I am not perfect but I try my best to make the most of what God gave me.
Bad things may happen to me, but I will always come out of it with my head up high. Why? Because I know that I did the things I can control the right way. And the things I can't control, I leave it up to God's will.

bh3bz8

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 05, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »

Thanks sis heheh weird ko noh! Nabasa ko kasi yung turn your back napaisip tuloy ako kung mali ang sabihin ko turn around thanks again sis :-)

Mommy France

• Lucky to be loved by 2 boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 05, 2012, 09:41:07 pm »

^^ Hindi sis.. mas weird kung maling phrase yung maituro mo tapos hindi ka aware na mali. :D
I am not perfect but I try my best to make the most of what God gave me.
Bad things may happen to me, but I will always come out of it with my head up high. Why? Because I know that I did the things I can control the right way. And the things I can't control, I leave it up to God's will.

bh3bz8

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »

Thanks again sis really  ;D

aliya_liapot

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2012, 03:39:56 pm »

Hi ashli. Its somehow true kasi i have nieces who are filipino but are in the foreigners class. They are fluent in english so hirap sa filipino/hekasi subject in school.

Its ok to teach your child to speak in english but dapat kausapin din in tagalog kasi yun ang language sa country natin. So baka mahirapan sila to communicate with other people.

Blake

« Reply #234 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

taglish. but not the 'awkward' way naman, na pangit napakinggan.  ;D
my son just turned 2 so paisa sang salita muna alam niya. but i see to it na alam niya tagalog/english counterpart ng isang bagay. i.e table=lamesa, book=libro, hand=kamay.
para pag big boy di sya ignorante sa english.

CallcenterMom

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:59 pm »

For me it's true.  Now that my daughter is in grade I and the school is somehow following the "Native tongue" way of teaching.  Marami syang tanong na, "Mommy what does that mean.  hindi ko rin naman ma-explain sa tagalog kasi kapag tinagalog ko explanation tatanong ulit sya ng "what does that mean?" 

Haizt, hirap.

xoxo_mommyG

• ♛bea's mommy
    • View Profile
    • A Sprinkle of Smiles
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2012, 01:02:46 am »

For me/ us(kaming magkakapatid), it's true...

Lagi kasi kaming english kausapin ng mga grandparents namin nung maliliit pa kami... Kaya yun, when we entered school, nahirap kami sa Filipino...  :(

Lalo na ako... Muntik pa akong bumagsak nun sa Filipino kaya pinag-tutor pa ko ng 3 months... Kahiya...  :-[

Ewan ko lang kung O.A. or what, pero yung bunso namin, kahit ngayon, hirap na hirap pa din umintindi ng Tagalog. He's in college already... Tapos may assignment sila about sa maikling kwento. Grabe ilang beses pa niya inulit-ulit basahin yung kwento para maintindihan niya... Feeling ko manonose-bleed na sya sa pag-intindi nun...  :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:11:09 am by xoxo_mommyG »

smart.momi

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:59 pm »

With my 2 1/2 year old daughter, sinasanay namin sya maging bilungual which means she can talk and understand both tagalog and english. We want her to expose to both language which we know can contribute to her well being. Pero mas fluent sya sa tagalog. Nakakatawa nga kasi one time sinabi niya sa akin close ko daw yung window kasi papasok ang mga gamo-gamo at insekto. waaahh! natawa ako.haha.

sachism

• proud mom to a very charming daughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2012, 06:06:47 pm »

It's a problem nga daw ngayon na may mga kids na hindi marunong magtagalog. Kasi mahihirapan sila sa mga tagalog subjects.

Sa amin, i talk to her in english. But yaya talks to her in tagalog. She understands both naman. I would like to keep the same set up para makaintindi ng tagalog or english.

CallcenterMom

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2012, 01:59:08 pm »

I have one office mate na nahihirapan din anak niya.  The kids were asked to write the name of the fruits on the picture shown.  So her kid, wrote apple, grapes and strawberry.  The teacher put an "X" mark on the kids paper because the kid wrote English words.  Sabi ng friend ko okay na daw na "x" yung apple and grapes pero yung "strawberry" wala syang maisip na tagalog term.  Then, when her older daughter checked on google, Ayun. PRESA pala.  How in the world can a child now na ang tagalog sa strawberry ay presa.  Baka nga mga tindero at tindera sa grocery hindi alam un.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17