Sometimes, it is hard for parents to remember the difference between rewards and bribes. Rewards are blessings for good behavior and bribes are given to coax a desired behavior. Keeping this in mind when dealing with your child will help you both know the difference between a blessing and a source of spoiling.
1. Set clear boundaries for your child and let him know ahead of time what is expected of him.
2. Stay calm, firm and consistent when disciplining and setting boundaries.
3. Remember that each child has different temperaments and developmental styles. Some children respond well to verbal praise while others respond better to rewards like stickers or extra time on the computer.
4. Catch your child in the act of doing good.
5. Praise good behavior by providing positive reinforcement. Showing extra attention and offering words of praise and affirmation are often the best kind of rewards.
6. Offer rewards or incentives to be given after your child has completed an important task. Giving him a sweet treat after he puts away his toys by himself is a good example.
ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
CONTINUE READING BELOW
Celebrate your pregnancy milestones!
Enter your details below and receive weekly email guides on your baby's weight and height in cute illustration of Filipino fruits. PLUS get helpful tips from experts, freebies and more!
You're almost there! Check your inbox.
We sent a verification email. Can't find it? Check your spam, junk, and promotions folder.