- Money Ex-Kusinera Now Earns P64,000 Monthly Online After Numerous Rejections
- Breastfeeding Moms Love This Breast Pump Because It's Portable, Affordable, And Easy To Use
- Real Parenting Ito Raw Ang Isang Mabisang Paraan Para Hindi Ma-Overwhelm Sa Dami Ng Gagawin
- Breastfeeding My Husband And I Want To Enjoy My Pregnancy, So He's Learning To Shop For My Needs
All About Newborn Screening: Your Baby's First TestLearn all about this potentially life-saving procedure for your little one.by Jamie Ilao .
Back in the old days, both parents and their babies were simply kept in the dark. Illnesses, allergies and conditions just revealed themselves in time and as the years went by, parents had to learn to adapt and take certain measures in order address these health issues. Thankfully, with the advancements in medical technology and research, the road to good health has become a little brighter.
Newborn screening is a simple procedure being offered in hospitals that allows parents to become aware of the condition of their newborn's health, particularly if he has disorders that may lead to mental retardation, through tests run on the blood sample of the newborn. Only good things are promised by newborn screening. The benefits are definitely more than enough to convince any parent to avail of this medical service.
Identification of Disorders Present in Your Newborn
According to the NSRC (Newborn Screening Reference Center of the Philippines), the Newborn Screening allows newborns to be tested for the following diseases:ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- Congenital Hypothyroidism
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperlasia
- Glucose-6-Phospate-Dehygdrogenase Deficiency (G6PD)
- Maple Syrup Urine Disease
(Related story: G6PD Deficiency: An Overview)
If a child does not participate in this screening, these disorders would not be known and be addressed, and they would develop further. He may suffer either severe anemia or Kernicterus, cataracts, severe mental retardation or even death from these disorders later on in his life. Newborn screening makes parents aware of their newborn's health right from the start.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos1 of 2 NEXT
Trending in Summit Network