These Pinoy-Tailored Games Will Help You And The Kids Learn Math (It's Free!)by Rachel Perez .
Looking for learn-at-home options and wondering about tuition fee? Head to Smart Parenting Classroom now!
This school year is especially challenging for everyone. Still, parents and teachers continuously find ways to make learning easier for kids this year.
During a webinar series called “Senso Eskwela Pilipinas at Iba pa,” Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU)-School of Science and Engineering launched an online platform that makes math more engaging and compelling for students.
The Mathplus apps are based on techniques ADMU teachers have used in teaching Math in the classroom, using traditional materials. It is tailored to address Filipino school-aged kids’ difficulties in learning math, as they have observed.
Bringing math into the digital space, the developers also used research-based strategies in a game-play environment to address these difficulties. This ensures that the apps are easy to use, and kids can quickly effectively learn math by using them.
Teachers, parents can use Mathplus apps with online and blended learning classes
Math is not always an easy subject, even if you’re getting the instruction in a regular class, meaning off Zoom. That’s where Mathplus Apps can come in. It aims to create a digital mathematics learning environment. It hopes to hone Filipino kids’ math skills to become avid and effective problem-solvers.
Mathplus is aligned with DepEd’s math curriculum
The apps are designed to promote mathematical reasoning and visual thinking so that Filipino children can learn to think by and for themselves.
The excellent news is Mathplus is aligned with the Most Essential Learning Competencies (MELCs) of the official Grade 1 to 10 Mathematics Curriculum of the Department of Education (DepEd). It makes it easier for teachers and module writers to identify the app appropriate for any given topic and grade level.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
No need for a high-tech device to use Mathplus apps
These are research-based desktop and mobile apps that run on moderate tech requirements in computers, tablets, and mobile phones.
According to its website, Mathplus Apps can run on Firefox 50 and up and Google Chrome 5.0.71 and up. It’s also accessible for Android phone users with an operating system of 4.4. Still, it’s highly suggested you use it with a 5.0 (Lollipop) operating system.
How to download Mathplus Apps on PC
First, you need to have a file archiver, such as Winrar, Winzip, or 7-zip, to open files. If you already have this, proceed to the Mathplus website (https://mathplusresources.wordpress.com).
CONTINUE READING BELOWwatch now
- On the top bar on the website, choose your grade level: Grades 1-6 or Grades 7-10.
- If you click Grades 1-6, you’ll find on the lower part of the page the grade levels, which will show you the MELCs appropriate for each app available.
- Further down, you’ll find the topic and corresponding links to the apps for the appropriate grade level. Click on the topic and grade level you want to download.
- It will show you the list of apps with descriptions and download columns. Click the computer desktop symbol if you’re on a computer.
- Once you click, the appropriate symbol chooses which folder to save the file. Right-click on the file and extract its contents.
- Then, among the files you extracted, open the Quick Images folder, then click the Quick Images Game. Voila! You can now play the game.
ADMU’s math professor and associate dean for Research and Creative Work for Loyola Schools, Dr. Ma. Louise Antonette N. De Las Peñas led ta team of ADMU mathematicians, mathematics educators, and software developers. It’s funded by the Department of Science and Technology – Philippine Council for Industry, Energy, and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST-PCIEERD).
What other parents are reading