- Your Kid’s Health PH Doctors Release Vaccination Guidelines to Protect Children From Polio Outbreak
- Travel No Beach, No Problem! 10 Resorts in Laguna for a Unique Vacation Experience
- Fashion 10 Chic and Roomy HandbagsThat Can Hold All Your Mommy Essentials, Starting at P385
- Getting Pregnant Pregnancy Symptoms Week 10: Nagsisimula Nang Mapansin ang Baby Bump Mo
Join the next Smart Parenting Giveaway and get a chance to win exciting prizes!Join Now
14 School Bags and Lunch Kits to Motivate Your Kids for SchoolIt's function over form anytime -- but with these, you may not have to choose.by Lei Dimarucut-Sison .
Parents of school-age children these days know fully well the big load kids carry on their shoulders--and we don't mean that only figuratively. In recent years, kids have had to bring so many books, notebooks, art materials, lunch bag, and the like to school, that they are literally burdened by the collective weight of these items every single day.
According to several studies, carrying a school bag that is 10% more than the child's body weight results in pain in the shoulders, arms, and lower back. In the long run, this practice will adversely affect a child's growing muscles and the health of his spine.
So what's a parent to do? Here are a few tips:
1. Buy a backpack instead of a shoulder bag for school use. With proper usage, a backpack is more ideal because it helps distribute the weight evenly across the child's shoulders.
2. Choose a bag with wide and padded straps so as not to strain the shoulders.
3. The school bag must be appropriate to your child's size and should not exceed 4 inches below the child’s waistline. When carried, it should rest comfortably on his back.
4. Check if the bag has a waist belt, which also helps ease the weight off your child's back.
5. Choose a bag with multiple pockets. Besides keeping your child's things more organized, these also distribute the weight more evenly.
6. Look for a backpack made of lightweight yet durable material so as not to add to the overall weight your child has to carry.
7. If there is a provision in school for the transport of bags up a few floors to your child's classroom, a trolley bag may be the better option.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
If you're still on the lookout for a school bag for your child, check out these suggestions that are both pretty and functional (but remember, if you have to choose, go for function)! Click "View as list" below!
Photos by Majoy Siason
Viewing as ListLaunch Gallery