embed embed2
Here's Your Guide To Get A Solo Parent ID Card
  • (SPOT.ph) It's official: solo parents will be entitled to 10% discounts, VAT exemptions, and cash subsidies, on top of the existing health and housing support covered in the recent Expanded Solo Parents Welfare Act. This means you best start applying for a Solo Parent Identification Card (SPIC) to reap these rightful benefits.

    SPIC applications are handled by the Department of Social Welfare and Development. Below, we lay down the straightforward-enough steps, but like any government process, there’s so many ways it can go wrong. Remember to come extra prepared.

    What to bring

    Before anything else, make sure you qualify as a solo parent under Section 3 of Republic Act No. 8972’s terms. Once that is out of the way, you can start preparing what to bring.

    Here are the basic list of requirements needed to apply for a SPIC:

    • Barangay certificate
    • Income tax return*
    • Application form**
    • Valid ID
    • Birth certificate of minor child/children

    However, take note that there are additional requirements needed depending on the kind of solo parent you are, so read the instructions below carefully.

    If widowed, bring a photocopy of the death certificate of your spouse.

    If married, bring a photocopy of the marriage certificate and a medical certificate (if spouse is mental incapacitated) or a certificate of detention/court order (if spouse is in prison).

    If separated, bring a photocopy of the declaration of nullity of marriage.

    If unmarried, bring an affidavit of solo parent or certificate of no marriage. The sworn affidavit should declare that the solo parent has solo care and support of the child and is not cohabiting with a partner.


    RELATED: How to Get a Solo Parent ID and the Benefits That Come With It

    Some regional or city offices will also require more documentation to ensure your status as a solo parent. For instance, Parañaque City asks for a house sketch and two 1x1 ID pictures, while Mandaluyong City asks for school records if the child is between 18 years old to 22 years old.

    That said, it’s always best to call your nearest Department of Social Welfare and Development office to confirm what you will need. 

    *Non-working solo parents will need a certificate of non-filling tax from the Bureau of Internal Revenue in lieu of the income tax return.

    **To be provided by the DWSD upon application at the office. Alternatively, select cities like Caloocan City and Pasig City provide an online application form that is ready for printing.

    Where to apply

    Head to your nearest city or municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, where a social worker will receive your documents. You can also opt to fill out the Solo Parent ID Application Form on the spot.

    Don’t forget to bring cash as well since there are necessary fees like the certification fee and stamps. This might cost a little over P100.

    Your SPIC will be issued after a month from filing, usually issued with a solo parent booklet. 

    What other parents are reading

    watch now
View More Stories About
Trending in Summit Network
View more articles