- Real Parenting Ogie Alcasid And Michael V. On Fatherhood: 'Enjoy The Ride, Put Your Foot Down, Be Involved'
- Real Parenting Sa Tulong Ng Donors, Napapadede Ng Breast Milk Ang Mga Naulila Sa Ina Na Triplets
- Wellness Many Of Us Feel Burnt Out Because We Don’t Know How To Rest: 7 Types We Need
- Fashion Marian Rivera, Sunshine Cruz, and Camille Prats Prove One-Piece Swimsuits Are Sexy!
This Book Will Help Prepare Your Older Kid for the New BabyHere are useful tips on how you can help your older child welcome his baby sibling--and assure him of your love.by Rachel Perez .
Experts have suggested that stories can help kids deal with real life situations that they may have difficulty understanding. One issue where books can help: welcoming a new baby into the family. As a parent, you’re worried how your older kid is going to take it. Will she welcome her new sibling with open arms, or will she sulk in a corner thinking she's been replaced?
Mommy Loves You Just the Same is a book that can help your older child see and celebrate the new arrival as a happy and momentous event. It comes from author, inspirational speaker and mom of three boys, Teresa Gumap-as Dumadag, the woman who wrote behind the Breastfeeding: A Journey Worth Taking and became an Amazon bestseller.
What other parents are reading
"I was looking for a book that I can use to repeatedly remind my two older children that I love them just the same even with the coming of their baby brother," shares Teresa, who wrote the book while she was pregnant with her third child. "Since I could not find one with exactly the same message, I composed a poem for them instead."
The story takes inspiration from the things Teresa's older kids did during her second and third pregnancies. The book also discusses how a mother's love helped her son to be a loving and responsible big brother.ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
Mommy Loves You Just the Same has earned the thumbs-up of other celebrated mommy bloggers in the country. Lifestyle host, Project Mom co-author, and mom of three Amanda Griffin-Jacob says it's a must-have for families who are expecting a new baby. "As a mom of three kids, I love how this book reassures the older kids that we love them just as much as before as well as helping to foster and nurture love for their new sibling. Children can be quite anxious about the arrival of a new baby and this book does well to put those insecurities to rest,” she tells the Hands-onParentWhileEarning.com.
The best part of the book are the free printable coloring pages that artist Jia Rubio-Monserrat brought to life in her colorful illustrations. The older siblings' hands-on activity helps to reinforce the message and lessons. It's a nice gift for baby showers and sibling showers, too!
What other parents are reading
Here, Teresa also shares her tips on helping a new big brother or sister welcome a new sibling on her blog Mommy Bares All. Heed her top four tips to make the transition easier forlder kids:
1. Stop calling the child "baby." Teresa says the moment she and her husband found out they were expecting, they started calling their older child by her first name. Instead of calling him baby, they started calling him Kuya.
2. Spend more quality time with the older child/children. Make sure your older child’s emotional bank account is full to make up for time you’ll be spending away from him while taking care of the new baby.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
3. Teach your older kids how to bond with you and with their soon-to-be baby sibling. She says she also let her older sons come up with their own ideas on how to take care of their little brother.
4. Make their birthday before you give birth extra special. Teresa always goes out of her way to make the soon-to-be kuya on his birthday "to help make them feel important and special."
Mommy Loves You Just The Same is available to purchase online via Hands-OnParentwhileEarning.com, through email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and via the Facebook on Full Life Cube, Hands-On Parent while Earning or Breastfeeding: A Journey Worth Taking.
Trending in Summit Network