- Real Parenting Dads Became Weekend Warriors To Earn P10K To P15K Extra A Month
- Fitness & Nutrition How This Single Mom Lost 12 Pounds And Trimmed 5 Inches Off Her Waistline At Home
- Real Parenting 'Don't Lie Down During Class': Mom Shares Rules For Daughter Learning At Home
- Home Tamad Magdilig Ng Halaman? You Can't Kill Houseplants With This Method!
Effective Use Of Consequences And Countdown In Toddler DisciplineTeaching your child the consequences of his misbehavior and being consistent in counting down to the consequence are effective ways of disciplining your child.
Incentives and consequences help children learn that unpleasant things happen as a result of their choices or misbehavior. Because of this, they learn to take responsibility for their actions. There are natural consequences that usually follow a course of action, like hunger after refusing to eat dinner. There are also logical consequences, which are decided by the parent or adult to accompany offenses.
Incentives And Consequences: When And Why They Work
For this technique to be effective, preschool teacher Lolita David suggests three key factors:ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW
- tell the child what the consequences are before he or she breaks the rule
- relate the consequence directly to the misbehavior
- let the consequence occur each time the misbehavior happens.
More than just punishing misbehavior, consequences should also present incentives when the child displays good behavior. For example, if your kids put away their toys, reinforce this by allowing longer playtimes.
Using Countdown To Discipline Your Child
“You have until the count of 10 to stop screaming—and I mean completely stop—and start calming down.” Parents love countdowns. They’re tried and tested technique to keeping kids on their toes once mom or dad starts counting to three or 10. Countdown means giving a limited time for the child to change his or her misbehavior before he or she meets its consequences.CONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Click here to read more about when and why countdowns work.1 of 2 NEXT
Trending in Summit Network