- Getting Pregnant Alamin Ang Mga Sintomas ng Pagbubuntis Maliban sa Pagsusuka
- Preschooler 'Spanking Actually Makes Children's Behavior Worse, Not Better'
- Your Kid’s Health Ang Kailangan Sa Bahay Para Iwas Electrocution Maliban Sa Power Plug Cover
- Home Family Transforms ‘Sampayan’ Into A Bali-Inspired Oasis With A Non-Inflatable Pool
No Link between Folic Acid Supplements and Childhood AsthmaFind out how a recent study proves the lack of association between folic acid supplementation and childhood asthma.
Folic acid has been recommended to pregnant moms because of its capacity to help prevent neural tube defects such as spina bifida. Despite its health benefits, though, folic acid supplements should only be taken at 400 micrograms a day, and only during the first trimester and before getting pregnant, as this would be the critical time when neural tube defects start to develop. Aside from this, folate also reduces risks of premature birth and low birth weight, promoting the overall health of the baby.
Folic acid and folate are types of the water-soluble B vitamin. Folate is recommended for pregnant moms because it helps synthesize certain amino acids needed for the production of hemoglobin, which helps transport oxygen in the blood throughout the body. Folate also produces DNA and RNA, which are important for rapid cell division during pregnancy and a child’s infant years.
Two studies in 2009, however, indicated a possible association between folic acid and childhood asthma, but a recent study says otherwise, stating that there’s absolutely no link between the two.
2,500 pregnant women were included in the study by Dutch researchers, wherein the health of their children were examined at birth. The researchers also tested the children for any indications that they may have allergic reactions such as eczema and asthma.
The results showed that only seven percent among these children developed asthma. They were also not necessarily the offsprings of those who took folic acid supplements when pregnant.
Aside from folic acid supplements, folate can naturally be derived from dark green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, juices, whole-grain products, chicken or beef liver.
You may also want to read:
• Why Pregnant Moms Should Stock Up On Folate
• FAQs on Iron Deficiency Anemia and Folate Deficiency Among Filipino Pregnant Women
• June 27, 2011. Cathy. “Folic Acid Supplements During Pregnancy No Longer Linked to Childhood Asthma” Growingyourbaby.com
• June 27, 2011. “Folic Acid Supplementation Not Linked to Childhood Asthma”ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Photo from sxc.hu
Trending in Summit Network