- Real Parenting Who Deserves To Win P100,000? Vote For Your Favorite My Smart Parenting Story!
- Toddler How to Avoid Raising a Child Who Still Relies on You When He's 30
- Health & Nutrition Bawal Nga Bang Kumain ng Talong ang Buntis?
- News Alice Dixson Introduces Daughter Aura: 'Am I Going To Be A Good Mom?'
Omega-3 During Pregnancy Reduces Risk for Child Developing DepressionA recently published study shares the benefits of Omega-3 intake during pregnancy to help reduce a child’s risk for depression and mood disorders in adulthood.
Research has already revealed in the past that eating seafood during pregnancy helps ease postpartum depression, through Omega 3 fatty acids. Aside from this, studies have also shown the benefits of Omega 3 on reducing the risk for heart disease and particular kinds of cancer.
Recently, a group of neuroscientists and nutritionists have discovered that these fatty acids may also help aid in baby’s mental health, the details of which have been published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.
The study posits that the less Omega-3 intake of the pregnant mom, the higher the likelihood that the baby would grow up more prone to suffering from depression and mental health problems.
Rats were used in the experiment, wherein 3 females low in Omega-3 gave birth to offspring that showed neural deficiencies.
From these results, the researchers concluded that Omega-3 fatty acids are crucial during any age and that not having intake of these would result to predisposition to mood disorders during adulthood.
Omega-3s are naturally found in fish, krill, mussels, eggs, seal oil, milk and cheese.
Although fish is a major source of Omega-3, pregnant women are being discouraged from eating more than a single 6-ounce meal per week to reduce the risk for mercury toxicity.
Photo from flickr.com
• February 1, 2011. “Consumption Of Omega-3s During Pregnancy May Alter Child’s Risk of Depression” BetterHealthResearch.com
• February 8, 2011. “Low Omega 3 in Pregnancy May Lead to Depression” Calorielab.comADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOWCONTINUE READING BELOWRecommended Videos
Trending in Summit Network