Moms love to don twinning #OOTDs with their daughters — just ask Marian Rivera! And Mother's Day is prime for a mother-and-child twinning moment. You don't have to spend extra just to dress up with your little girl though. Here are ideas on how to go matchy-matchy using clothes you already have at home as inspired by Aila Martha Serrano (@DelightfulHimig), Roma Avenido (@Mhyian), and Din Real Bautista (@dinrealbautista), moms we've featured in a twinning store buying guide (read about them here).
1. The classic white-top-and-denim combo The plain white t-shirt is a staple in every closet including your kid's. Pick your child’s favorite pair of denims and choose one in the same wash (e.g. blue jeans, white wash jeans, or black jeans) for you. Mix it up by going for denim jumpers or more dressed up white tops!
2. Be color-inspired! Twinning outfits don’t necessarily require wearing the exact same style or print. It could simply mean coordinating outfits so that your ensembles still say “matchy-matchy,” such as by sticking to a color palette. Promise, you’ll still look adorable! Here’s what we mean:
3. Fun with stripes Stripes never go out of fashion, and we're betting both you and your child already have this in your closet. The pieces don't even have to be in the same color, just near each other in terms of hue. Go with the same type (e.g., both of you wear sneakers or doll shoes) or color of footwear for a more coordinated look.
4. Layer and add accessories to basics Even if you're just wearing a plain shirt and jeans, fun and colorful accessories show you've put effort to your #OOTD. Colorful necklaces and earrings are always a welcome addition to plain black shirts. Large-sized handkerchiefs can be turned into headbands or neckerchiefs.
5. Go for a common feel and theme For moms who prefer to go laid back and subtle, an easy way to twin with your little one without being too loud is to go for a common feel. Go for a street style by both donning cool jackets. Layer up in the same colors when travelling. Choose off-shoulder for both mom and mini-me. Whatever suits your sense of style!